Page 165 of 280 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 2792

Thread: Hyundai WRT

Liked 486 Times in 187 Posts
    I wanted to translate the whole interview that EstWRC mentioned above. I think I haven't seen Ott so downbeat before. I know it was just after the rally but he sounded in a way so hopeless. I don't know if I could read between the lines this time but basically he is fed up with the tyres, lack of testing (and changes that could be made) and he misses Adamo.

Q: Ott, you finished Rally Portugal on 6th place. There were many problems and difficult situations. Now when looking back, how would you sum up these 3 days?
    A: My initial thought is that we couldn't hope for more. The test before the rally was very short and I didn't get any good emotion and feeling from there. Rally went the same way. During the rally we tried to understand, learn and improve but rally is not a place for that (in another interview after day 2 he said that they basically can test but the things they can test and modify, it is very limited).

Q: During the rally, could you understand that are the problems fundamental or are there many small mistakes that need to be fixed and changed?
    A: There are many issues and there are some things that I have hard time to get used to or adapt to drive fast. Some things go against my instinct.

Q: When they announced new cars, many thought that now you could have input in development and could make the car suitable for you. Aren't things quite as successful with car development from your point of view as you would have liked?
    A: There was no car development. Basically the car was ready 1 month before Monte, we had two tests and the season started. There is no development. And the team is structurally in a relatively difficult place at the moment. It is not easy...

Q: Before the Portugal, it was said that this car is meant for gravel rallies and now when it came out that Toyota is above anyone else, does this realization increase depression even more?
    A: I can't tell who said that, that this car was meant for gravel. I didn't think that for once. But there are many opinions.

Q: It was the team boss who said that in one of the interviews before the rally...
    A: He is a very positive guy. He says a lot of things.

Q: Looking at the overall standings, one guy is far away, others grouped together behind. What is your motivation for the next upcoming rallies? To get in front of the closest group? Catching the leader is basically impossible with clean driving?
    A: It's very difficult to take this whole series (WRC) seriously. We have many other very deep problems. This point gap is the smallest of issues at the moment.

Q: It is 1.5 weeks until Rally Sardegna. What can can you do with this short time and what is the plan in-between?
    A: We have 1 testing day and basically nothing else. They try quickly prepare the cars. There is nothing else that can be done.

Q: The info and notes you gathered from this rally, could the team use some of it?
    A: Can't tell, we'll see. There will be a longer meeting in the evening and we'll see what could we do with such a short time but generally it is difficult.

2. Likes: AnttiL (23rd May 2022),dimviii (23rd May 2022),Eli (23rd May 2022),EstWRC (23rd May 2022),Hartusvuori (23rd May 2022),sindroms (23rd May 2022),TWRC (23rd May 2022),WRCStan (23rd May 2022)
    Liked 12,207 Times in 5,241 Posts

Hyundai WRT

Thanks for the whole interview but I don’t understand how could you read out those things between the lines that you said. Especially missing Adamo

Lack of testing seems to bother him. He likes to develop and do things but then again, they can go to Finland any time now
    Last edited by EstWRC; 23rd May 2022 at 07:18.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

4. Likes: AnttiL (23rd May 2022),flat_right (23rd May 2022),TWRC (23rd May 2022)
    Liked 486 Times in 187 Posts
    Should have put Adamo in quotes - what he says that "And the team is structurally in a relatively difficult place". I have this feeling that they don't have a leader who gets things done that Adamo was praised for. Tyres and testing - it is just the frustration from him that there is only one testing day, impossible to catch Toyotas this way. Also how tyres are very weak. The only chance to fight with Toyotas with this car is to get a perfect set up. I might be very wrong but Ott is unhappy and just gave some thoughts.

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_right View Post
    Should have put Adamo in quotes - what he says that "And the team is structurally in a relatively difficult place". I have this feeling that they don't have a leader who gets things done that Adamo was praised for. Tyres and testing - it is just the frustration from him that there is only one testing day, impossible to catch Toyotas this way. Also how tyres are very weak. The only chance to fight with Toyotas with this car is to get a perfect set up. I might be very wrong but Ott is unhappy and just gave some thoughts.
    Maybe it was because of Adamo that the team is now structurally in a difficult place.

For the record, Toyota has not tested either on their permanent testing site in Finland since the development test prior to Rally Sweden.
    Last edited by Hartusvuori; 23rd May 2022 at 10:28.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

7. Likes: AnttiL (23rd May 2022),dimviii (23rd May 2022),EstWRC (23rd May 2022)
    Liked 12,207 Times in 5,241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori View Post
    Maybe it was because of Adamo that the team is now structurally in a difficult place
    This
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

9. Likes: AnttiL (23rd May 2022)
    Liked 559 Times in 242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny0405 View Post
    Quite worrying indeed.
    The only positive is that the car is fast when it has no reliability issue.
    I don’t know if there are changes with the joker regulations compared with 2017 but Toyota transformed a not-really reliable car (2017) in the best car in class in 2 years (2019) so it might be possible. The question is about Hyundai will to make the investment needed and to wait to catch up.
    I think the difference might be that Toyota had a better base speed-wise with the Yaris back then. We still dont know the extent of problems Hyundai have with the car, but it looks like they are pretty deep itrouble, as IMO it neither seems very fast, nor too reliable. Hopefully they can find some luck and good speed for Sardinia.

Liked 163 Times in 73 Posts
    And Neuville is adding insult to the injury:

"The team is in a bit of a crisis"
    Disappointed with his fifth place in Portugal, Neuville had the courage to put words to the situation within the Hyundai team, relegated to 59 points behind Toyota (175 against 116). Words that may seem harsh, but they attest to the improvement desired by our compatriot, victim of four mechanical problems in four rallies.

"History repeats itself: we have seen it in other years, we are encountering several problems. If we add them up, we are behind, we are missing points. It's a shame because we have all the tools to perform. We need people who make decisions, who lead the team, who have the strength and the charisma to manage a company like Hyundai Motorsport. Today, we lack them. The team is in a bit of a crisis."
    , he told Belgian RTBF in the debrief after the race https://www.rtbf.be/article/wrc-port...allye-10997896

And if you put 1 + 1 then this post from last year on www.rallyssimo.it sounds maybe the more true: "Dani Sordo remains with Hyundai for another year. A managerial role for him in the future?"

"Apart from his performances, however excellent, what is striking is the consistency of his performance, essential for the constructors' championship, which earned him the nickname of "Mister Consistency" from Andrea Adamo. But there are also other qualities of Dani Sordo that are almost as good as his skills at the wheel, which perhaps not everyone knows and which can open the doors to a managerial role at the end of his experience as a driver.

In fact, his experience continues to be a gold mine in many respects. For example, Dani is the driver in charge of rolling out and testing before running all the cars participating in each rally. He also acted as an intermediary and was instrumental in the signings of Sebastien Loeb and Ott Tanak. He is the extra man in all circumstances and, thanks to his communication skills, he always manages to make himself indispensable."

https://www.rallyssimo.it/2021/09/14...riale-per-lui/
    Last edited by Sergiow; 23rd May 2022 at 12:59.

12. Likes: AnttiL (24th May 2022),cali (23rd May 2022),flat_right (23rd May 2022)
    Liked 9,353 Times in 4,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny0405 View Post
    Quite worrying indeed.
    The only positive is that the car is fast when it has no reliability issue.
    I don’t know if there are changes with the joker regulations compared with 2017 but Toyota transformed a not-really reliable car (2017) in the best car in class in 2 years (2019) so it might be possible. The question is about Hyundai will to make the investment needed and to wait to catch up.
    Good points here.

The new car is pretty fast considering the lack of testing, especially on gravel. Reliability is the issue and it can also be agreed their drivers have had quite a lot of bad luck.

Leadership can be blamed, but Moncet is in place and has to be given time to make the necessary changes.

Sadly, Toyots's strong start and Rovanpera's dominance make this season look 'over' already. Not good for Hyundai who basically only enter WRC in order to show they're the top Asian brand...
    Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 23rd May 2022 at 13:24.

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TWRC View Post
    as IMO it neither seems very fast, nor too reliable. .
    reliable i agree,but dont forget that when Kalle and Evans were pushing hard Hyundais were sometimes faster from both.
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/results...2022/?s=351640

https://www.ewrc-results.com/results...2022/?s=351641

Tanak 2,8 from Kalle and 0,4 from Evans
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/results...2022/?s=351642

Sordo 2,1 from Kalle
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/results...2022/?s=351643

Neuville
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/results...2022/?s=351637

Tanak on the long one
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/results...2022/?s=351634

Neuville 3,7 from stage winner Evans
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/results...2022/?s=351628

Neuville
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/results...2022/?s=351627

Neuville
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/results...2022/?s=351626

Tanak
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/results...2022/?s=351625

So we cant say that car is ''slow'',but rather that ,the car isnt fast at all stages.

15. Likes: cali (23rd May 2022),Essaj (23rd May 2022),focus206 (23rd May 2022)
    Liked 844 Times in 390 Posts
    Reliability is the biggest issue and they'll hardly solve it, no matter the amount of testing. Even if Hyundai was slightly faster than Toyota (which is not), they'd have no chances anyway, as the difference in reliability is astronomical.