Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Rookies of 2019 - your thoughts

i think this season has had the best influx of rookies for some time. Each of them have exceeded the expectation we had of them at the start of the season. Though very few of us gave much thought to Albon as a late call to duty warranted. But he has turned out to be the most successful rookie of 2019 and certainly the most impressive.

Norris did not disappoint in the Mclaren giving Sainz a bother from the outset and throughout the season. But experience saw the spaniad comfortably ahead. The pecking order is clear for Mclaren going into the 2020 season. That said, we saw enough to know that Norris is a star in waiting. If he can become world champion would depend on Mclaren being able to provide him with a championship winning car at some point.

Russell showed he is too good for the car Williams is able to provide him. There was enough indication that he could be a top ten points scorer in the right car. I feel his Mercedes relationship may hurt his career prospects if he does not take the initiative to shape his own future outside of Mercedes fold. No past Mercedes rookie has made it into a Mercedes seat.

Giovinazzi also improved alot. He finally was able to match Kimi and beating Kimi on occasions. With 14 points to his name, he would be happy with his season l think.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 22nd December 2019 at 20:37.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Fair assessment, I'm surprised you didnt mention LeClerc though... the most successful of all. Does his 2nd season in F1 still count as a Rookie?
    Last edited by Zico; 23rd December 2019 at 00:36.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Fair assessment, I'm surprised you didnt mention LeClerc though... the most successful of all. Does his 2nd season in F1 still count as a Rookie?
    Leclerc and Gasly are not rookies anymore, being their second season in F1.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare