Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I Want To Start Stage Rallying Where Do I Start?

Hi my names Frank, I'm 19 from Yorkshire UK.
    I'm really interested in becoming a rally driver but have no idea where I should start.
    I believe I'm supposed to get the the MSA starter pack and take my BARS test so I can get my National B Rallying Liscense.
    But where do I go from there..
    Should I join a local Motor Club? (Nearest Malton Motor Club).
    Should I get a pre built rally car or stock one and modify it? (Currently Driving A Land Rover Defender).
    I have no idea about which car I would get IE, engine size, drive train etc.
    I have some experience working on cars like my Defender and have some decent Off-road experience.
    How do I make sure that my car is okay for all of the minor rules and regulations to enter the rally?
    I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out as I know many of you on here have plenty of experience on the topic.

Liked 1,472 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texet7 View Post
    Hi my names Frank, I'm 19 from Yorkshire UK.
    I'm really interested in becoming a rally driver but have no idea where I should start.
    I believe I'm supposed to get the the MSA starter pack and take my BARS test so I can get my National B Rallying Liscense.
    But where do I go from there..
    Should I join a local Motor Club? (Nearest Malton Motor Club).
    Should I get a pre built rally car or stock one and modify it? (Currently Driving A Land Rover Defender).
    I have no idea about which car I would get IE, engine size, drive train etc.
    I have some experience working on cars like my Defender and have some decent Off-road experience.
    How do I make sure that my car is okay for all of the minor rules and regulations to enter the rally?
    I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out as I know many of you on here have plenty of experience on the topic.
    Best thing for sure is to contact a Motor Club. They will be able to help you with all your questions!
    I'm not British, so can't help you with al of your questions.

Car, I would pick a "slow" FWD car, max 1600cc or something. That should be the best thing to learn.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dupanton View Post
    Best thing for sure is to contact a Motor Club. They will be able to help you with all your questions!
    I'm not British, so can't help you with al of your questions.

Car, I would pick a "slow" FWD car, max 1600cc or something. That should be the best thing to learn.
    Thanks for the advice man, will do

Liked 310 Times in 167 Posts
    Hi Frank

You are correct. In order to get the lowest level (National B) stage rally drivers licence you will need to get the starters pack & pass the BARS test. Joining a motor club is an excellent idea & Malton looks like a good choice. They are actively involved in rallying - organising their own events, including an annual forest stage rally. It's probably worthwhile joining before taking your BARS test as you'll find out a lot by participating in the club activities. Don't just restrict yourself to driving. Get out and marshal or help with timekeeping - you'll learn how an event runs. Before attempting to work on your own car go out on events and act as a mechanic servicing for other club members - you'll learn a lot about car preparation. Co-drive or navigate for somebody if you get the chance - it will give you experience on an event so that when you drive yourself it will be more familiar. Once you've seen the sorts of events that are available you can then think about the car you need and what preparation is appropriate - a forest car is not the same as a tarmac car. Buying a prepared car is probably better than preparing your own as it will have all of the essentials already and probably a lot of good modifications that you only learn by stuff breaking and causing you to retire from events. You'll probably still want to change things to suit yourself though, so be prepared to spend some time working on it before your first event. Don't forget that seat belts & seats are lifed and have an expiry date so if you need to buy them leave it as late as possible. Stage rally cars need a competition car log book from the MSA so if you buy one make sure the book is transferred, if you prepare your own it will need to be inspected by a scrutineer to make sure it complies with the MSA regulations (https://www.msauk.org/assets/144-155...ehiclesj-3.pdf and https://www.msauk.org/assets/293-338...allyingr-1.pdf) to get its log book. Those two sections are enough to get you started. You'll get a full printed set of the MSA regulations when you get your starter pack.

Good luck & have fun!

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    On a more practical tack - If you haven't already been born to rich parents you need to go out an either rob a bank or come up with a massive (and successful) cyber fraud. Even amateur level stage rallying eats currency so fast that the safest way to reach the most likely eventual outcome is to sit in a tub of sump oil tearing up £10 notes!
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

6. Likes: Archie Gillaine (24th January 2017)
    Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Indeed costs seem to be on the up unfortunately, entry fees for forestry events are around the £500-600 mark now, forcing many to either tarmac or single venue events.

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Good luck - though in all honesty you'd probably be better going circuit racing; better value for money.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd View Post
    Hi Frank

You are correct. In order to get the lowest level (National B) stage rally drivers licence you will need to get the starters pack & pass the BARS test. Joining a motor club is an excellent idea & Malton looks like a good choice. They are actively involved in rallying - organising their own events, including an annual forest stage rally. It's probably worthwhile joining before taking your BARS test as you'll find out a lot by participating in the club activities. Don't just restrict yourself to driving. Get out and marshal or help with timekeeping - you'll learn how an event runs. Before attempting to work on your own car go out on events and act as a mechanic servicing for other club members - you'll learn a lot about car preparation. Co-drive or navigate for somebody if you get the chance - it will give you experience on an event so that when you drive yourself it will be more familiar. Once you've seen the sorts of events that are available you can then think about the car you need and what preparation is appropriate - a forest car is not the same as a tarmac car. Buying a prepared car is probably better than preparing your own as it will have all of the essentials already and probably a lot of good modifications that you only learn by stuff breaking and causing you to retire from events. You'll probably still want to change things to suit yourself though, so be prepared to spend some time working on it before your first event. Don't forget that seat belts & seats are lifed and have an expiry date so if you need to buy them leave it as late as possible. Stage rally cars need a competition car log book from the MSA so if you buy one make sure the book is transferred, if you prepare your own it will need to be inspected by a scrutineer to make sure it complies with the MSA regulations (https://www.msauk.org/assets/144-155...ehiclesj-3.pdf and https://www.msauk.org/assets/293-338...allyingr-1.pdf) to get its log book. Those two sections are enough to get you started. You'll get a full printed set of the MSA regulations when you get your starter pack.

Good luck & have fun!
    Thanks for the information it has helped alot, I'm planning to book myself a rally experience day so I can learn more about the cars and driving and get some information off them. After that I'm going to join a motor club and keep pestering people with questions haha.