Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    I pray to up the pace Meeke,Neuville,Paddon,Tanak(at Msport?) Breen etc.
    i dont mind if Ogier takes another 4 championship in a row,i just want to see to gain these championships with proper fights and have competition.
    Till now i have no indicator for this though...
    lets hope that new regulations can shake things a bit.

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    But the chances are slim to none as VW have been testing their new car for longer than anyone.
    VW is not the reason why Ogier keeps winning. He would win the title with Hyundai or Citroën and maybe even with M-Sport as well. Look how much of competitition Latvala and Mikkelsen make. None... and they have the same car.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

3. Likes: Andre Oliveira (19th October 2016)
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    We can only pray that another car is faster in 2017 ... that's the only way someone can remotely challenge Ogier.

But the chances are slim to none as VW have been testing their new car for longer than anyone.
    according to julian porter, vw are concerned the citroen engine is far more developed having used it in wtcc for many years ???
    the artist formally known as "smokin'joe"

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    The engine rules except the restrictor size remain unchanged. It shall not be that difficult.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 560 Times in 243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smokingjoe View Post
    according to julian porter, vw are concerned the citroen engine is far more developed having used it in wtcc for many years ???
    If I remember correctly, in a promo video Citroën says the C3 engine is new, only based on the WTCC engine, which in return was also new, only based on the DS3 engine... So yes, maybe there's more experience beind it, but I'm not afraid for VW, they have enough resources and experience on their own to make as good an engine as Citroën can.
    Last edited by TWRC; 18th October 2016 at 22:59.

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Citroen's new car will be closer to the VW than the current DS3 is, which hasn't been properly developed after Citroën left to focus on the WTCC (which they dominated).

There's more chance the C3 is the best car next year, than there is of it being off the pace off the VW. Citroën simply don't build anything other than exceptional WRC cars. That in itself should be exciting for us because Meeke will be in a car that is on a more level playing field with the VWs, and he's already shown he has great speed.

Hyundai are now a proper WRC team with a huge budget and have experience of building multiple cars, so will have hopefully learned from their mistakes. Neuville and Paddon also have a lot of room for improvement and it seems Thierry has got his mojo back somewhat.

Msport also don't build bad cars, and that Ford looked impressive in the testing videos I've seen. With Tanak back in the main team he should be able to seriously challenge for victories on quite a few rounds. And who knows, maybe Ford could return in the not to distant future if Tanak starts to become the complete package .

Toyota is the only worry for me, but I hope to be proved wrong and see that they're on the pace.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Liked 133 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    VW is not the reason why Ogier keeps winning. He would win the title with Hyundai or Citroën and maybe even with M-Sport as well. Look how much of competitition Latvala and Mikkelsen make. None... and they have the same car.
    just some thoughts from a different perspective
    i've been thinking about it for quite a while now and i must say that i'm still at undecided. i do think Ogier is presently the best all-round driver and i do think VW is the best all-round car. Though the Hyundai and Citroen appear to be still very competitive, they may lose time slight under certain conditions. Is the Ford on the same level or a little further back from the Citroen and Hyundai, I dont know for sure as i cant pinpoint if its the car and/or the current msport drivers?? We all have seen Tanak do some decent times/stages in the ford in the recent past, but is that within/on the limit or over the limit high risk driven times??

Now with that in mind, we are talking about the WRC, where it is believed that the "best of the best" drivers in the rally world are competing for top honours in top built cars. Drivers here are competing for tenths of a second on each km/stage---similar to other sports. When we have a combination of the best driver and best car together, those tenth's can begin to accumulate rather quickly as usually seen in the rallies. Ogier is a very talented and smart guy, he can mostly drive within the limit or just on it and pretty much win stages/rallies as he know his car allows him to do that. Now, the other manufacturer drivers (Meeke, Neuville, Tanak, Sordo, etc.) must drive their respective cars on the limit or over the limit always to try to match those times, as there may be no reasonable chance of winning a rally otherwise---in many cases unless Ogier retires from an event or they get favourable road positions/weather.

on the other note, i have stopped comparing Latvala and Mikkelsen to Ogier a long time ago. i think that they are both decent drivers, but just not on the level to take the fight to Ogier, for one reason or the other. They have both been consistently driving in WRC or other high level for long enough. i really hope i'm wrong, but i don't foresee any more potential from them unless they can manage to tap into something deep within themselves.

Now here's why i'm unsure, if Ogier was in a Citroen/Hyundai/Ford competing against Meeke/Tanak/Neuville/Paddon/Sordo in VWs, would he need to drive outside of his comfort zone and on/over the limit more often to be competitive? Would getting those cumulative tenths of a second become a more difficult task? Its certainly a different type of pressure to be under, which may make things less comfortable. Some drivers handle pressure better than others. There is a thin line between knowing that you and your car are on the limit (possibly settling for a lower position) and going over the limit into very high risk areas (possibly winning or gaining a better position, but usually crashing).

so things are not really simple

9. Likes: GravelBen (19th October 2016),Rally Power (20th October 2016)
    Liked 5,566 Times in 2,299 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    200% with you. Ogier is still the main difference.

11. Likes: pantealex (20th October 2016)
    Liked 9,356 Times in 4,971 Posts
    I never said the VW was the reason Ogier keeps winning. He is the best driver. Currently his car is also as good as any.

BUT if others had a faster car than him it would give them a chance to compete.

I hope the Citroen engine rumour is true and at least they have some advantage to take him on in 2017..