Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

Italian GP - Monza 2016

Autodromo Nazionale Monza shaped like a foot; maybe a boot of sorts. Aptly so, as this is a track where the foot is down for about 74% of the time. 3.6 miles and 53 laps of a combination of some of the most exhilarating straights, sweeping curves and corners that add up to the fastest laps on the calendar.

In 2004, Juan Pablo Montoya clocked the fastest lap in F1's history here in the Williams FW26. Clocking a qualifying lap speed of 163mph [ a lap time of 1’19.525 ] which today remains the fastest lap an F1 car has ever done. Montoya won two Monza races in 2001 and 2005.

Montoya taking his Monaco trophy in 2003.

You can watch the actual historic lap here https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...e_history.html

But Ruben Barrichello in the same race in 2004, set the race lap record which still holds to date at 1:21:046 [153mph]. However, The Red Baron, Michael Schumacher remains the most successful driver in recent memory to drive this track, winning it 5 times. Barrichello won it three times.

Those were days when F1 drivers still had hairs on their chest.

Lewis Hamilton was the last winner of this track. Vettel and Hamilton are jointly the most successful winners of Monza in the current grid, they have both won it three times each. Alonso has won it twice.

Weatherwise, it looks likely to be a dry race with temperatures around 34 degrees Celsius.

The Tifosi's make this weekend one of the liveliest weekends on the calendar, only rivaled by the British GP.

This is the Ferrari home race and they come here with no wins so far this season, recently slipped from 2nd place to 3rd in the constructor standing, some tormoil internally and a missed opportunity from the last race. Drivers and team making mistakes as the pressure to deliver mounts.

Being an engine grunt track, this is a track where the Ferraris could mount a challenge to the Mercedes. It is possible that we have one or both Ferraris on the podium this weekend. Has Redbull got the package to keep in the mix of the Mercedes and Ferrari shuffle?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 1st September 2016 at 17:22.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Morning everyone.

So the Mercs look mighty fast. Over a second quick so far. Good battle between them. Otherwise Manor look good. Q2 again.

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

It would be a great sprint tomorrow from start to the Rettifilo chicanes. The Ferrari have awesome starts and the Mercedes has been so so. Hence, it is possible that Vettel could be ahead before the Rettifilo chicane. The question is, would he still be ahead at the rettifilo against the sheer speed of the Mercedes? He may split the Mercs, if he does, the mercs have a weakness running behind other cars and tend to struggle to overtake fast cars. That said, the gap at qualifying was nearly a second [0.7 tenths]. Hence l expect the Mercedes one two to resume very soon after.

Hamilton's qualifying time was faster than the race lap record for this track and is probably the fastest lap that any hybrid F1 car has ever done so far. Kimi would be very keen to keep those Redbulls behind, particularly Verstappen.

What is your money on for the podium positions?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 3rd September 2016 at 20:11.

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    Hamilton Vettel Rosberg
    Dont think Rosberg dare take Hamilton out on first corners

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Vettel had all 4 wheels outside the white lines. Why did his qualifying lap stand?

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Hamilton's qualifying time was faster than the race lap record for this track and is probably the fastest lap that any hybrid F1 car has ever done so far. Kimi would be very keen to keep those Redbulls behind, particularly Verstappen.
    Nah, he was slower by a tenth.

Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    Nah, he was slower by a tenth.
    Yes you are right. Hamilton managed 1:21:135 and the lap record is 1:21:046 by Barrichello. But close though if you consider that Hamilton is driving a 1.6L V6 hybrid engine and Barrichello was driving a naturally aspirated 3.0 litre V10 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    Vettel had all 4 wheels outside the white lines. Why did his qualifying lap stand?
    They apparently announced yesterday that no one is gaining an advantage with all 4 wheels off the track so they didnt bother.

Another example of lack of consistancy. Put grass there for Gods sake. Then they wont be doing that.

Did I hear right somewhere yesterday that they are going to redesign Curve Grande?

Sounds like doing something for the sake of it....

Afternoon everyone. Laptop still not allowing me on the website. Error messages etc.... so I am on my phone. It's never as good.

Anyway hi guys. Carnage into turn 1?

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk