Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dakar 2017

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    So looks like Peugeot is the team to beat in 2017!!

However we must bear in mind that for them they are down 1mm on the air restrictor from last dakar.
    Mini will have the same if that is what they are going to race in for 2017.
    Toyota will go 1mm up from what I gather.

It is left to be seen what the organizers have in mind with the rout. i.e. will it favour 4WD or 2WD in comparison with last year...??

Any thoughts?

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Looking at budget and driver lineup Peugeot has to be the favorites,

I am unashamedly biased towards Toyota, i know the team and the drivers and really hope the direction they have taken is a winning one, Giniel de Villiers and Nasser are proven race winners,a dark horse will be Leeroy Poulter, he is crazy fast and talented, when it all comes together he will raise a lot of eyebrows.

I havnt seen what a possible Mini lineup will be, all the big names are either in Pug or Toyota.

The route is a mystery....
    Last edited by Grant_RSA; 14th September 2016 at 09:46.

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    The biggest - and decisive - question will be the route. If still the major parts are at high altitude, nothing will beat a turbodiesel. In theory offroad would be better for the buggys (Peugeot, Toyota). But in 2016 the Peugeots - especially Loeb - were faster than the Minis even on WRC like roads (as long as they were really pushing).

To sum it up: In 2017 my money will be on Loeb.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Diesel or Petrol would matter I guess when it comes to altitude but Grant is right when it comes to whether it is 2WD or 4WD might not really matter with today's regulations. In fact all indications are the 2WD buggies may have a all round advantage

If am not mistaken the Petrols have been granted the additional 1mm for the air restrictor to address the altitude disadvantage. They have a minimum weight advantage too this time around.

If I remember right, the Petrols air restrictor was progressively brought down to 31mm a decade ago. The diesels have remained constant at 38mm. As such I too have a gut feeling that this might be the year of the Toyotas with the Diesels and Petrols both standing at 38mm. When it comes to budget there is no regulation yet right?

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Wont be surprised if we see a different body. Looks like a cut and paste job from the 4WD frame to the new one. Dont see any spare wheels either. Best place maybe in the center like the peugeot buggies for best weight distribution.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Just saw this on Toyota web site:

The Toyota Hilux Evo has a target weight that is nearly 600 kilograms lighter than the current race vehicle, and even though attaining that target is nearly impossible, the new vehicle will certainly have a significantly better power-to-weight ratio.

Hope they can capitalize on the minimum weight advantage to the max before the Dakar!

From what i understand that is what the car will look like.

Different angles make the car look very different,

Spare wheels have been behind the front doors on the Hilux for the last 2 Dakar's , i suspect they are still there.

Unfortunately i no longer get anywhere near the workshop to go and take a closer look..

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Okay.
    There are many ways of achieving a good balance I guess. Yes need to see more angles of the vehicle. Looking forward to see it in action.

Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts