Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts

Red flags in qualifying

In a new knee-jerk reaction from the FIA, they've announced that rather than double yellow flags, they will only use either single yellow flags or red flags in qualifying.

Make your bets - how long before someone realizes what a terrible idea this is and they go back to the previous policy?

Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    I can tell you one thing, it has the potential to lead to some long quali sessions!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
    They should implement a rule to make it mandatory to add and change a rule every race weekend.
    "Wives live longer than husbands, because they are not married to women" Colin Mochrie - "Whose Line is it anyway?" - The funniest TV show on earth!

4. Likes: steveaki13 (29th July 2016)
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Perfectly sensible rule change. Why on earth were double yellows used in qualifying, which is for the sole purpose of going quickly, in the first place? Either you have an advisory yellow flag or a red; simple. Double yellows and qualifying are incompatible. Period
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

6. Likes: Jag_Warrior (13th August 2016),Whyzars (30th July 2016)
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Here's a fun , and related quote from Fred :
    “I have been racing 16 years in Formula 1 and 31 in motorsport,and we have always had a single yellow and a double yellow and there have never been any issues apart from when you are fighting for the world championship and apart from when Nico is doing it.”

Would we have this red flag rule if Lewis hadn't complained ?

8. Likes: Koz (16th August 2016)
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    If certain drivers aren't going to respect the double yellow and it's a total judgment call by the stewards as to whether or not they have sufficiently slowed, I guess this was the only thing that Charlie could do. Didn't it used to be the case that you couldn't set a faster lap when the double yellow was out? Seems like I remember that being the case and I believe Vettel alluded to that too.

I agree with Inimitablestoo. Keep it simple: yellow or red.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith