Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yodasarmpit View Post
    He did come in hot from a good distance away (which is awesome) but he had the car under control with no lock up and then made zero attempt to turn the wheel.
    He was still hard on the brakes. He couldn't turn in to the apex because he'd braked much too late to do that. To reiterate my earlier point, if you could brake that late and still get anywhere near the apex of the corner, then Max would also have done it and reached the apex well ahead of Rosberg.

Liked 58 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Ridiculous penalty for Rosberg.

That was Max's mistake. Seeing Rosberg coming from so far back, he should have known Rosberg would be wide on the exit. If he'd stayed wide on the way in he could have taken the place back with a cut-back on the way out.

If you try to hang it round the outside on the way out of a corner when you've been passed up the inside, the other guy is going to show you to the white line. It was true when Hamilton did it to Rosberg in Canada, and it's true here.
    are you for Real?? are you that Blind?

3. Likes: driveace (1st August 2016)
    Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    It's time for Felipe to retire. Another poor showing.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Ridiculous penalty for Rosberg.

That was Max's mistake. Seeing Rosberg coming from so far back, he should have known Rosberg would be wide on the exit. If he'd stayed wide on the way in he could have taken the place back with a cut-back on the way out.

If you try to hang it round the outside on the way out of a corner when you've been passed up the inside, the other guy is going to show you to the white line. It was true when Hamilton did it to Rosberg in Canada, and it's true here.
    A lot of points made there , Andy .

You're right that Max had a pretty good chance of getting the inside line out of the corner , and he might have guessed , that overspeed Nico had run too deep .
    But , he chose the outside , which was his choice to make .

Ant Davidson stated , during his analysis , that Nico couldn't have braked harder without locking , which would have had him sliding even deeper . He also mentioned that turning the wheel to full lock before he did would likely have resulted in a slide as well .

Horner , stated he should have locked it up and made some smoke if he wanted to look more believable .

One of the commentators showed a sequence at the start where the Honey Badger ran his team-mate even wider than Nico did .

I didn't like it in Canada , and I don't like it here .
    In Canada , it wasn't investigated .
    Here , it wasn't investigated in the first corner , and then penalized almost immediately later on in the race .

6. Likes: N4D13 (31st July 2016)
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    I didn't see any real attempt at Nico turning in until Max was pushed off the track. And personally I think the penalty was mild. Application of the penalty after letting the driver maintain position still puts the other driver in dirty air, and in the situation they have to pass to get into clean air. If it wasn't a legit pass, IMHO the proper penalty would be to make them give the position back on track, as is done when a driver cuts a chicane and gains advantage.

I do also have to agree with Bagwan in the sense that it seems to be another rule that only applies sometimes, and should be investigated more often. These days with telemetry and the like the stewards should be able to more accurately assess whether the driver could turn in, or if they simply overcooked it into a corner and misjudged.

Other than that incident, great job by Lewis up front and controlling things, not sure what was up with Felipe or his car, but some good results from Button and the McLaren, even though Fred didn't quite stay in the points. That must be a good handling car, because it was just unreal how easily the Mercedes just drove by under power.

I'm not sure if the RB engine upgrades are just that good, or if Ferrari is losing out on downforce and handling development. I suspect the later, as it seems the reds just don't work very well unless in clean air. Then again, Seb was off the pace all weekend compared to Kimi, but quick enough to keep him behind after a good start. I wonder if Kimi might have had any chance to keep up with the RB cars?

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    I thought the incident was less clear than Austria to be honest.

I kind of get fed up with all these penalties.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    I thought the incident was less clear than Austria to be honest.

I kind of get fed up with all these penalties.
    I don't think it deserved a penalty. At most, Rosberg should have had to give the place back. A 5 second penalty was too harsh for hard racing.

What bothers me most here is the penalty itself. The stewards deemed the move illegal and slapped Rosberg with a penalty that could have potentially made zero difference to his race and still disadvantaged Max. Should Rosberg have been able to open up a 5 second gap to Max, potentially, the net effect of the penalty to Rosberg could have been 0. My point being, the punishment did not fit the crime.

We shouldn't stop drivers trying to race like that and, imo, it would have been appropriate and fair for Rosberg to have had to simply give the position back to Max.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I don't think it deserved a penalty. At most, Rosberg should have had to give the place back. A 5 second penalty was too harsh for hard racing.

What bothers me most here is the penalty itself. The stewards deemed the move illegal and slapped Rosberg with a penalty that could have potentially made zero difference to his race and still disadvantaged Max. Should Rosberg have been able to open up a 5 second gap to Max, potentially, the net effect of the penalty to Rosberg could have been 0. My point being, the punishment did not fit the crime.

We shouldn't stop drivers trying to race like that and, imo, it would have been appropriate and fair for Rosberg to have had to simply give the position back to Max.
    In this case, I thought a penalty was deserved, but I can agree that the penalty was harsh or mild depending on which driver view is being taken. Mild for Nico, as he was in clean air, and harsh on Max, as he was in dirty air. Assuming that the incident warranted a penalty. Giving back the position makes a lot more sense.

The 5 second penalty is IMHO, just messed up regardless. Due to the way they enforce it, the penalty can be taken in the pit or added to the final race time. With track position being so vital it seems that the pit sequence and tire selection might have impact on just how much track position that 5 seconds really cost a driver.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    There is an explanation on the TJ13 site that has me reconsidering whether it was worth a penalty for Nico .

Early in the braking phase , Max jinks to the right , and Nico reacts with a tighter line than he wanted into the corner .
    This compromised his move significantly , and had him running far deeper than he would have .

Thus , Max was responsible to a large degree .

It was , though , the perfect prompt for him to brake and try it inside .

One thing struck me , though , that is an impressive , and seemingly something that is usually more reserved for wily veterans of the sport , is that Max used his knowledge of Rosberg's history to know he could get away with being forced off to gain the advantage .
    He then reinforced the idea with a sly quip to Lewis about it in the presser .
    This built on his story , and went some way towards destabilizing his rivals as well .
    Very , very impressive .

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    There is an explanation on the TJ13 site that has me reconsidering whether it was worth a penalty for Nico .

Early in the braking phase , Max jinks to the right , and Nico reacts with a tighter line than he wanted into the corner .
    This compromised his move significantly , and had him running far deeper than he would have .

Thus , Max was responsible to a large degree .

It was , though , the perfect prompt for him to brake and try it inside .

One thing struck me , though , that is an impressive , and seemingly something that is usually more reserved for wily veterans of the sport , is that Max used his knowledge of Rosberg's history to know he could get away with being forced off to gain the advantage .
    He then reinforced the idea with a sly quip to Lewis about it in the presser .
    This built on his story , and went some way towards destabilizing his rivals as well .
    Very , very impressive .
    smh
    how you summized that is incredible
    you can't argue with results.