Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brazil Olympics

Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    I've watched a bit of everything, and enjoy doing so. I completely agree with Bagwan that with some sports you can't even tell what is going on. Some of the diving is similar to fencing, they do so many twists and flips now it's hard to keep track of. I don't even see how the judges keep track.

Glad to see that the doping Russian Yulia Efimova was beaten by the non performance drug influenced youngster Lilly King. This crap with the doping needs to end, there are too many shady things taking place again.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    I've watched a bit of everything, and enjoy doing so. I completely agree with Bagwan that with some sports you can't even tell what is going on. Some of the diving is similar to fencing, they do so many twists and flips now it's hard to keep track of. I don't even see how the judges keep track.

Glad to see that the doping Russian Yulia Efimova was beaten by the non performance drug influenced youngster Lilly King. This crap with the doping needs to end, there are too many shady things taking place again.
    Maybe they should just make doping legal?

Imagine how fast Bolt could run 100m!!
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    One thing bugs me , and I've seen it in Volleyball , tennis , and beach volleyball , is the "challenge" .
    You've got two challenges , apparently , and if you ask for one , and it's correct , you keep two .
    Lose the call and you lose one .

That's pretty straight forward , but with today's technology , they can easily , and quickly , tell who wins every time .

So , why bother with the challenge when all it does is add unnecessary time to the match ?

I suppose , from a competitor's point of view , it could be used to slow the momentum of a rival , but is that really a fair move , when it could be used frivolously to cause frustration at a key point in a match ?

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow View Post
    Maybe they should just make doping legal?

Imagine how fast Bolt could run 100m!!
    I was just composing a similar post. We have progressed from "running a few laps in the evening between work and dusk" level of training to athletes training full time with experts determining the best way to develop the athlete's body to suit the sport's requirements. Why not go the final stage and say they can use any means man can devise - including drugs. OK, we know some drugs have long term consequences far more serious than the damage over-training or ignoring injuries can cause. But that is a decision the individual athlete can take. They are adults after all! And if doping is out in the open the consequences can be made fully known.
    Last edited by D-Type; 9th August 2016 at 18:38.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
    I was just composing a similar post. We have progressed from "running a few laps in the evening between work and dusk" level of training to athletes training full time with experts determining the best way to develop the athlete's body to suit the sport's requirements. Why not go the final stage and say they can use any means man can devise - including drugs. OK, we know some drugs have long term consequences far more serious than the damage over-training or ignoring injuries can cause. But that is a decision the individual athlete can take. They are adults after all! And if doping is out in the open the consequences can be made fully known.
    Then , with enough testosterone , we could have the women on the same level as the men !
    Yeah , everyone would want to see that .
    Maybe not .

I was listening to the radio (CBC) the other day , and they were talking about body enhancements that are starting to become common .
    Things like replacing ligaments with tendons in NFL players , and the filing of facial bones to prevent skin tears in the UFC .

Where will that end , with the webbing of hands and feet for swimmers ?

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    A good night for team GB with 2 silver medals. The time difference is a pain for Europeans as we wake up to good news rather than see it lol. It's not all about us though.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Then , with enough testosterone , we could have the women on the same level as the men !
    Yeah , everyone would want to see that .
    Maybe not .

I was listening to the radio (CBC) the other day , and they were talking about body enhancements that are starting to become common .
    Things like replacing ligaments with tendons in NFL players , and the filing of facial bones to prevent skin tears in the UFC .

Where will that end , with the webbing of hands and feet for swimmers ?
    In the days when I used to read The Wizard etc there was one character "The boy with flipper feet".

I don't like the idea of surgical enhancement. Admittedly, I don't like doping either - but hopefully bringing it into the open might remove the incentive to "seek an unfair advantage"
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Fiji Rubgy. Came, saw, conquered, took names. 43-7 is an absolute pasting; though chin up Team GB, it's still a silver medal.

The is the first medal for Fiji ever. I think it's nice that it happened in a sport they car so passionately about. I'm still looking for FBC's radio commentary on this. I think that that would be a hoot to listen to.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

9. Likes: airshifter (23rd August 2016)
    Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Great Britain move up to third in the medal table which is good. I remember back in the 90's when we hardly won anything. It would be incredible if we could push China for 2nd place.

The only thing that annoys me is why are we called 'Team GB'? Do other nations change their name?
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

I can't wait for the men's 200m race .
    Our lad Andre gonna give dat Usain a run for his money .