Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brazil Olympics

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts

Brazil Olympics

A lot of people are pretty worried about these games .

The list of why is pretty scary .

Don't go into the water .

Oil slicks that are described as unavoidable are turning boats brown .
    That's a darker colour than what the fecal matter would have tinted it .

What you can't see is worse , as untreated medical waste flows into the soup as well and bugs including antibiotic-resistant bacteria are found in numbers up to 1.7 million times the amount allowable on California beaches .

If you do get sick , go home for treatment if you can , as the hospitals can't pay the doctors and staff , and are short of every supply , including common drugs .

The police and firemen are striking , too , and with rampant crime , like kidnappings happening regularly , it could be mayhem .

It is looking like the Zica virus is the least of anybody's worries .

Brazil is in utter economic collapse .
    The government released money for saving the games only 36 days before they are to start .

I fear , after hearing all this and more , that this will be a painful games to watch .
    I hope all stay safe with all of this trouble .

And , I don't want to think about how a terrorist act could change the world at these games .

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Nice.

Also the games are usually tied to a city not country, so its Rio Olympics.

Despite all the negativity (which is what the media wants tbh) the world cup went okay, so I think it might be similar. Not that I care much (or at all) about Olympics these days.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Nice.

Also the games are usually tied to a city not country, so its Rio Olympics.

Despite all the negativity (which is what the media wants tbh) the world cup went okay, so I think it might be similar. Not that I care much (or at all) about Olympics these days.
    Maybe it is what the media wants to see , but when I see a picture of a group of striking cops with a banner that says " Don't worry , only 54 cops have been killed in this Olympic year !" , it makes me wonder about shiny pictures of Rio .

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    A lot of people are pretty worried about these games .

The list of why is pretty scary .

Don't go into the water .

Oil slicks that are described as unavoidable are turning boats brown .
    That's a darker colour than what the fecal matter would have tinted it .

What you can't see is worse , as untreated medical waste flows into the soup as well and bugs including antibiotic-resistant bacteria are found in numbers up to 1.7 million times the amount allowable on California beaches .

If you do get sick , go home for treatment if you can , as the hospitals can't pay the doctors and staff , and are short of every supply , including common drugs .

The police and firemen are striking , too , and with rampant crime , like kidnappings happening regularly , it could be mayhem .

It is looking like the Zica virus is the least of anybody's worries .

Brazil is in utter economic collapse .
    The government released money for saving the games only 36 days before they are to start .

I fear , after hearing all this and more , that this will be a painful games to watch .
    I hope all stay safe with all of this trouble .

And , I don't want to think about how a terrorist act could change the world at these games .
    Some of the participants in the rowing competitions don't want to go in the water as you mentioned above. Add to that that the accommodations for the athletes is in dire shape. Brand new housing in the Olympic Village is uninhabitable. Leaking plumbing, unfinished rooms, etc. Some teams arriving early have moved out into other spaces after taking one look. Makes one wonder what the various arenas look like.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Some of the participants in the rowing competitions don't want to go in the water as you mentioned above. Add to that that the accommodations for the athletes is in dire shape. Brand new housing in the Olympic Village is uninhabitable. Leaking plumbing, unfinished rooms, etc. Some teams arriving early have moved out into other spaces after taking one look. Makes one wonder what the various arenas look like.
    The new LRT lines are not done .
    And , we're talking about open excavations here , so it's not just like they didn't get built . They hamper what was already there .

It won't be easy getting in and out , and if you do wish to find other accommodations , I can't imagine , with the world flying in , that that will be easy either .

One must hope that they value (and actually pay) the air traffic controllers more than they do the police and fire crews , for the sake of all flyers .

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    Always Air BnB for the last minute bookings for Rio.
    The photos were not so bad for the Village depending on what block you got. Some required a bit of work.
    http://tinyurl.com/ha5hvjg

It's about to start .

I hope all goes well .

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    The Israelis trained 10 000 Brazilian security force people for the Olympics.
    I hope no important points were 'lost in translation'.
    http://www.brazzil.com/23968-the-10-...ined-by-israel

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Havent seen much yet. Been very busy. However hope to catch up this evening.

Anyone else following anything in particular?
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Havent seen much yet. Been very busy. However hope to catch up this evening.

Anyone else following anything in particular?
    I've watched a fair bit so far , steve .

The rowing yesterday was pretty entertaining with such rough waters .
    In the 2,000 m single sculls , boats were entirely sideways in the lanes at times , with even the top rowers at a 45% angle across them .
    A 2-man team scuttled a little later .
    They are trying to decide whether to run today at all .

The bike road race had an unlikely face on the top step after a crash in the final , crazy tight descent .

Fencing , in my opinion , sucks as a spectator sport .
    It's tick , tick , zwick , lunge , boink , and a point for one of them , so fast that without the light coming on you'd never be able to see who won .

Lotsa good stuff going on .
    Watching a little women's rugby between Kenya and Spain right now .