Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts

Track limit sensors

They've come up with the idea of having sensors to police the track limits .

At first glance , with all the drivers using more than the track really allows if they are given the slightest chance , it looked like a good idea , and thus , rules were applied to keep them in , and now sensors .

Several drivers , including Zo and Bunsen have said it's a good idea , but Seb has a different take .

The tracks now have all pretty much changed to a standard curbing system , at great expense .
    The curbs are designed to punish those crossing the limits on the outside of a curve , destabilizing the car , losing it time , making it an undesirable place to go .

Logically , if one was using a system to alter the driver's habits , one might think of adding more curbing , or changing the profile to make them more severe , to achieve the desired effect , applying the same tools .

He didn't explain very well , but it's what I believe he was getting at .
    Why bother with curbing at all if you are going to have electronic limits ?
    He'd rather they do some redesigning of the tracks , so the curbing is sufficient .

I agree .

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    if it was Monaco or Singapore with their AMCO barriers, drivers would respect the barriers. Electronic fencing is better than AMCO barriers or those car damaging yellow sausage kerbs, drivers should respect the track limits.

That said, the FIA is showing an air of zero tolerance in recent times. They would start wearing uniforms, batons and a monocle [maybe a nervous twitch in the left eye as well] soon.

Liked 1,121 Times in 600 Posts
    a bit of grass or gravel has the same effect, but is much cheaper than sensors.

4. Likes: AndyL (22nd July 2016),Koz (22nd July 2016)
    Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    We don't need silly sensors. We need uniform rules, not the oh you can do it here but no there, maybe it's ok maybe it's not. You want 10 drivers to be "under investigation" after Eua Rouge or Ascari each lap?

Charlie decides this before every race? Maybe that's fine for drivers (which I doubt), but how the hell do the rest of us know what arbitrary shit they feel like coming up with and how and why it is enforced or not.

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    We don't need silly sensors. We need uniform rules, not the oh you can do it here but no there, maybe it's ok maybe it's not. You want 10 drivers to be "under investigation" after Eua Rouge or Ascari each lap?

Charlie decides this before every race? Maybe that's fine for drivers (which I doubt), but how the hell do the rest of us know what arbitrary shit they feel like coming up with and how and why it is enforced or not.
    Electronic sensors sort of resolves that, don't you think? You can't argue with the electronic reading. If it says a driver strayed out of the track, then the time is automatically via electronics erased. Now that is as uniform as you can get. I agree it is abit cold, but it as true as you can get.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Electronic sensors sort of resolves that, don't you think? You can't argue with the electronic reading. If it says a driver strayed out of the track, then the time is automatically via electronics erased. Now that is as uniform as you can get. I agree it is abit cold, but it as true as you can get.
    Vettel's point , though , is that if there wasn't a mall parking lot's worth of tarmac on the outside of every corner , they wouldn't be driving on it .
    They tried to solve the issue of extra paving with curbing , and with little bollards you must drive behind , and now with electronic sensors .

Maybe it's astro-turf , or another less than grippy coating before you run into the parking lot that could fix it , but electronics sensing cars going off during the race seems like an endless argument after every race .

Think about it .
    Every transgression recorded , and perhaps grounds for gripe .
    Perhaps simple enough for qually , where every off will , or should , nullify a lap .

But , take it to the race , and you'll now have race control informed on every time it occurs , instead of when they see it on camera , or when a complaint comes in .
    Will they now be obligated to investigate whether a driver was forced off or not in every case ?
    If so , they are going to be busy .

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    But , take it to the race , and you'll now have race control informed on every time it occurs , instead of when they see it on camera , or when a complaint comes in .
    Will they now be obligated to investigate whether a driver was forced off or not in every case ?
    If so , they are going to be busy .
    Four wheels off track is a driver error regardless. If another driver has caused the incident then they will investigate and penalise accordingly.

They've always had the information available to them via cameras but have been very inconsistent in policing and/or penalising.

I have always been of the view that if all four wheels venture outside the track boundary at the same time then it is a driver error and should result in an immediate drive through penalty. Its a quick penalty and sufficiently harsh to simulate the armco at Monaco.

I think it is brilliant to remove all doubt with sensors however if they do something like a weak "three strikes" rule then it becomes pointless.

I say a tentative hooray...

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    I prefer the idea of sensors instead of a dependency on humans having to catch (and judge) this particular infraction. It was pointed out on the practice broadcast that the stewards watch a bank of monitors. And with 22 cars circulating, they may or may not catch everything that happens. I would say that if nothing else, this should largely eliminate the inconsistent calls, as far as track limits anyway.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    Well now we have sensors on some corners, and apparently a 3 strike rule. If you do it four times you get a drive through.

So I imagine it will just be a matter of time before a driver exceeds track limits on one of the corners to make a pass stick, and then the powers that be revert to the rule of gaining advantage by going four wheels off. But for whatever reason, gaining advantage by going four wheels off when not making a pass only matters if you do it four times?

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Max was complaining that Kimi was also going off the track... But as one of the commentators pointed out it wasn't the corner with the sensors...

So what happens now?
    Will this be implemented on whole circuits or just corners that Charlie doesn't like?