Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    One of the strangest things to ever get a penalty for, surely (Button last race). Ehh?

I personally never had a problem with the radios. They can talk and discuss all what they want. Doesn't annoy me. What annoys me, are overreacting and creating pointless penalties. Sort of "shifting attention away from more important issues" - sort of like what governments usually do.

2. Likes: N4D13 (26th July 2016)
    Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts
    IMO ban all radio talk, there is no need for radio talk during races. Sure it is a serious safety risk if the brakes or steering fail but there could be a very simple light on
    the instrument panel telling the driver that something is wrong so that the driver can slow down and return to the pits.

Everything else is up to the driver to solve on his own.
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    One of the strangest things to ever get a penalty for, surely (Button last race). Ehh?

I personally never had a problem with the radios. They can talk and discuss all what they want. Doesn't annoy me. What annoys me, are overreacting and creating pointless penalties. Sort of "shifting attention away from more important issues" - sort of like what governments usually do.
    You got your wish , jens , as they will now be able to say all they want to the drivers , except on the formation lap .
    Apparently , they will edit out most of the coaching , but the rules have been relaxed in that regard anyway , so common sense has prevailed .

We have the radio jabber back .
    Halle-friggin-lewya .

5. Likes: airshifter (29th July 2016)
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    So that's the second time this season a major rule change has been reverted. It very much looks like they need to think about these rule changes harder in the first place. Maybe the next rule the strategy group comes up with should be no more rule changes.

7. Likes: airshifter (29th July 2016)
    Liked 158 Times in 85 Posts
    So, blue flags next?

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    The way I see it, the inept Strategy Group, which has already proved to be incapable to deal with the real issues such as the falling interest in F1 racing and a very uneven and expensive playing field, is trying to justify its existence or is trying to create some kind of an appearance of doing work by nitpicking and micromanaging things that were not broken to begin with. First they did this to qualifying. Next, we get these new radio rules.

So far the only "success" by the strategy group decisions are the fake sparks that are coming from underneath the cars. That's all they have done so far that actually stuck.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    The whole radio rules situations is ridiculous.

There's a number of things that can be achivef with immediate affect to change the situation in F1.

1) Get rid of Charlie Whiting. He is not good enough. He makes daft random mid season decisions that make no sense. The radio rules and now red flags are the primary example.

2) He's not strong or capable enough. Starting races under the safety car after someone had gone for a piss on the track has just become an embarrassment. They are the best drivers in the world getting paid a lot of money to do a dangerous job and this whole too wet nonsense is getting on my tits. First Silverstone and then Hungary. As far as I am concerned the sessions in qualifying Hungary should have continued as normal. The best drivers won't aqua plane and bin in those conditions.

Silverstone was, once again, an embarrassment and the race start should have been a normal one.

F1 needs someone that will make sensible decisions and, Charlie may be responsible for safety but he also has a responsibility to the fans not to ruin the show. He can't balance the two and needs to be replaced by someone who can.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    The whole radio rules situations is ridiculous.

There's a number of things that can be achivef with immediate affect to change the situation in F1.

1) Get rid of Charlie Whiting. He is not good enough. He makes daft random mid season decisions that make no sense. The radio rules and now red flags are the primary example.

2) He's not strong or capable enough. Starting races under the safety car after someone had gone for a piss on the track has just become an embarrassment. They are the best drivers in the world getting paid a lot of money to do a dangerous job and this whole too wet nonsense is getting on my tits. First Silverstone and then Hungary. As far as I am concerned the sessions in qualifying Hungary should have continued as normal. The best drivers won't aqua plane and bin in those conditions.

Silverstone was, once again, an embarrassment and the race start should have been a normal one.

F1 needs someone that will make sensible decisions and, Charlie may be responsible for safety but he also has a responsibility to the fans not to ruin the show. He can't balance the two and needs to be replaced by someone who can.
    I think taking a cautious approach to starts in the wet is understandable, given that the last F1 fatality happened on a rain drenched track. Hence a safety car start to the race was a good way to go at Silverstone. But it probably went on a bit too long. That is where the angts was. Charlie Whiting has kept F1 race weekends ticking over like clockwork for as long as l can remember. He is rarely praised for the unseen services that he does for the sport. But certainly gets the sharp end of criticisms on those rare occasions when things are not perfect or goes wrong.

I think we should be mindfull of what we say about those people like Mr Whiting who's service has been one of the operation shoulders that has kept this sport a recurring successful event year in year out.

Like Bernie Ecclestone, Charlie Whiting is in that group of the operational machine of the F1 show that is fast heading towards retirement. The real problem is, each of these individuals would leave behind quite huge footprints to fill. As we see the churn of talent into F1 cars, it is not so visible what is done to transition new talent into these operational and managerial positions of the F1 show. Hence in a sense you are quite correct that new talent should be nurtured and transitioned into these roles that would likely become vacant in the not too distant future.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 31st July 2016 at 12:54.