Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

The new revised radio rules, daft or just what's needed?

The rules now require drivers to compulsorily pit immediately after they are informed that they have a problem. It would seem the 10 seconds penalty is considered not severe enough. In practical terms, what is the impact of this approach?

Take Sergio Pere's crash into the barriers at Spielberg Austria, the team knew brake failure was imminent but did not tell him for fear of the consequences of doing so. The end result was the brake failed and Sergio was placed at risk as a consequence. Though Peres got out of that one, his crash was not too dissimilar to the crash that killed Bianchi or Senna. They were all crashes into the barrier at speed. Hence from this perspective, it would seem the FIA have shifted the risk to the teams to decide if they should take a chance and see what happens or lose opportunity and bring their driver into the pits.

The real problem with bringing the driver into the pit is, for the sort of problems faced by Peres and Rosberg, bringing them into the pits would be quite pointless, as the teams would not be able to fix the problem anyways [certainly not in time to rejoin the race in a competitive position]. They would have unfettered opportunity to discuss it at the pits, but the opportunity would have gone from the moment they entered the pit lane.

I think, if Force India had told Peres that he had a brake problem, he would have nursed the car to the finish line. He may have lost a place or two, but he probably would not have crashed into the barriers. Chances are teams would most likely take the risk of saying nothing and see what happens rather than calling their driver into the pits for a problem they know they cannot solve. I also see the possibility that the steering console would get cleverer with state of the art communication to give the driver more real time information about the health of the car. This aspect was the logical next advancement of the F1 car anyways. This rule would seem to be bringing this advancement forward.

But this sort of technology is not something teams can bring about in a couple weeks. in the interim, is the rule like taking a mallet to a monkey nut? Would a simple clarification of the existing rule not have sufficed? Is the new rule a safety risk? There are loads of questions that this new rule conjures up. On the surface, it feels like another knee jerk reaction.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 21st July 2016 at 15:07.

2. Likes: pob (21st July 2016)
    Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    The mission statement is to tweak everything until it is perfectly discombobulated.

I would have no problem with pit controlled warning lights or text codes on the screen. That's about all a driver needs.

Radio's are for playing "Hits of the 80's"...

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    As I think wrote couple of years go, why should there even be a datalink from the car to the pit?
    If there is a brake temp problem or what ever, have a warning on the dashboard to let the driver know and slow down.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

5. Likes: BleAivano (24th July 2016),Whyzars (24th July 2016)
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    One thing they should add to the radio ban is drivers complaining about blue flags.

7. Likes: steveaki13 (24th July 2016)
    Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Absolutely nonsensical. Either ditch all radio or let them chat freely.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Yes, ban the radios, back to pit boards alone. This being the 21st century, the pit boards should be binary though.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    It is hard, because some want the most advanced cars and tech while some want to see the best drivers show most skill. This would mean no radios, manual gear changing etc......

However the current rules are as dopey as you like.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    However the current rules are as dopey as you like.
    Yep! About as dopey and confusing as they can be!

How was Mercedes telling Hamilton to pick up the pace or they'd pit Rosberg first OK, but McLaren telling Button to stay out and work through his brake issue not OK? And Button got a penalty?! To me, what they told Hamilton was closer to "coaching". But I'm just a fan and me being confused and/or frustrated by what I'm hearing doesn't matter.

I agree with Button: his issue was about as safety related as an issue could be. Why should the FIA worry about putting rollbars on F1 cars if they're OK with them circulating without brakes?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

12. Likes: Tazio (24th July 2016)
    Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    They need to figure it out one way or another, because as is it's just a mess of rules that make no sense at all. I'm glad Button took the opportunity to mention on the radio that he did think driving an F1 car with possibly failing brakes was a safety issue... because it IS a safety issue.

They clearly want to make sure they can apply penalty when they want, and ignore it when they want.

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    They need to figure it out one way or another, because as is it's just a mess of rules that make no sense at all. I'm glad Button took the opportunity to mention on the radio that he did think driving an F1 car with possibly failing brakes was a safety issue... because it IS a safety issue.

They clearly want to make sure they can apply penalty when they want, and ignore it when they want.
    We have seen in recent races how drivers make the merest of lift through yellow flagged portions of the track. There is very little concern from the stewards about this. I suppose, a marshal has to be injured or killed before action is taken. This is just another example of how inconsistent the application of the rules are at the mo.

15. Likes: Zico (25th July 2016)