Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

Will Mercedes now use team orders?

This is different thread to discuss what happens now for Mercedes. Lets not discuss the collision. We have a thread for that.

Looking forward I am worried that Mercedes will now see no option but to use team orders. Which would rob us of the only spectacle we have had in the past 3 seasons. I mean in 2014, 2015 & 2016 the racing at the sharp end can be very dull. The only action for the title we have is between these two.

The races over those years that have seen wheel to wheel action and lets be honest these incidents have kept F1 just about afloat. If we know have all that taken away we will see little of interest in the season. It will be who gets most poles and better starts wins the title.

So what do you guys think?

Should they use order? Do you think they will? Toto seemed to suggest it.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    I think if Mercedes use team orders we will see 2 very frustrated racing drivers, one of which if not both who will be leaving the team at the end of the season. This will just breed resentment between the team and its drivers and I hope it doesn't happen.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    In terms of the manufacturers championship do they have to? They still have a substantial advantage on most types of circuits so I don't think so.

I guess it depends on who gets to make the final decision, those above Toto and Nikki might feel that a fairly contested intense championship battle between both team mates with no team orders might contain more marketing value than a staged/ordered results total with a huge points haul.. as long as they (Merc) win the championship regardless.

Fingers crossed, Lewis and Nico's battle for the WDC is about the only going that keeps me watching F1.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

4. Likes: andyone (4th July 2016)
    Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Maybe it's not just about the points. The two colliding with every opportunity is an embarrassment for the team

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Just judging by Toto's post race comments, I think that it's VERY likely. My guess is, Lauda will want to let them continue battling, but with greater team penalties if they do bad things. I'm not sure who will win, assuming Lauda puts up a fight. Plus, Hamilton will likely have a power unit grid penalty or two before the season is over with. So being unable to race for the lead will likely hurt him the most - at least in a couple of races.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Just judging by Toto's post race comments, I think that it's VERY likely. My guess is, Lauda will want to let them continue battling, but with greater team penalties if they do bad things. I'm not sure who will win, assuming Lauda puts up a fight. Plus, Hamilton will likely have a power unit grid penalty or two before the season is over with. So being unable to race for the lead will likely hurt him the most - at least in a couple of races.
    Lets remember that imposing team orders and a driver obeying them are two different things. I don't see that Hamilton has done anything wrong therefore I don't think he should be subject to team penalties. Rosberg probably should be now though as it's twice this year he has messed up.

I don't think Mercedes will impose team orders anyway. I think they are smart and bright enough to realize that they can't have it all their own way. You can't just be winning everything and then not expect this stuff to happen from time to time. It will and they need to deal with it and move on. They had 29 races without a collision. They had a bad run in the last couple of races but, on the overall, it's gone seamlessly well for them. The threat of team orders might be on the cards but, realistically, I doubt actual team orders truly are... yet!

8. Likes: truefan72 (4th July 2016),Zico (4th July 2016)
    Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    For once, will Lewis obey?

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    I agree with The Black Knight. Implementing team orders and having the drivers follow them are two different things. If one of them does not obey, how would Mercedes punish him?
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    I agree with The Black Knight. Implementing team orders and having the drivers follow them are two different things. If one of them does not obey, how would Mercedes punish him?

Sack him or swap him with Wehrlein?
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    I think if Mercedes use team orders we will see 2 very frustrated racing drivers, one of which if not both who will be leaving the team at the end of the season. This will just breed resentment between the team and its drivers and I hope it doesn't happen.
    Interesting thought. IIRC Toto stated that this will not influence contract negotiations with Nico, but how could it not? At some point, the situation with these two drivers becomes untenable, and you have to fix it. Lewis is already under contract, but Nico is not. If I'm Mercedes, that's how you fix the problem.

Possible paths for Mercedes at this point:

1. Re-sign Nico, hope that Lewis and Nico sort themselves out. Best of luck...

2. Don't re-sign Nico, replace him with Pascal. Pros: keeps young blood in the team, Pascal looks like an exciting and competent young driver, counterbalance excitement at Red Bull with Max. Also, he's German. Cons: frying pan, fire. etc. Pascal seems smart and mature, but he's ambitious. Depending on how things work out, you could still have fireworks.

3. Don't re-sign Nico, replace him with Rio Haryanto. Probably won't reduce the number of crashes, but at least they won't be crashing into each other.

4. Release Lewis from his contract, possibly in negotiation with another major team, replace him with...? Pascal, as above, gives you an all-German team. Maybe that has some value, but doesn't necessarily solve your problem, same as above.

I dunno, but option 2 looks the best available to me.

13. Likes: Zico (4th July 2016)