Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow View Post
    Direct-democracy (i.e referendum) only result in populism winning.
    That's a pretty snobbish and elitist attitude you're expressing. As is "shut up, big brother knows what is good for you, you're too stupid to know anything yourself". The vote is done so learn to live with it.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo View Post

Nobody ever forced UK to join EU in the first place, that's why I dislike yesterday's choice.
    Not quite true. The UK voted to join the EEC, before the EU was created.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    The vote is done so learn to live with it.
    But the result was very tight. It would have been easier to deal with it if one of the sides had a large majority. But as it is it' s almost half/half and the frustration of those who lost may be understood. BTW, in case of perfect equality what would have happened? Deciding the result on penalties?

But the result was very tight. It would have been easier to deal with it if one of the sides had a large majority. But as it is it' s almost half/half and the frustration of those who lost may be understood. BTW, in case of perfect equality what would have happened? Deciding the result on penalties?
    If it went to penalties then the Germans would win....

Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    I hope that something good for the EU will come out of this. I never though that the EU is perfect so there's definitely place for improvements. Maybe now they'll have some motivation to make some reforms. Of course, the Leave campaign was not as much focused on the real problems as they were on all sorts of rubbish, false facts and figures and myths about the EU membership.

There is definitely the downside, mostly economic, for both UK and EU about this split but I think there's something good in it too. Britain was already barely in. They weren't really a constructive force in EU. More like the opposite. They were always the exception, always negative, always special, always opting out. I certainly won't miss their condescending attitude.

6. Likes: Brown, Jon Brow (24th June 2016),donKey jote (24th June 2016)
    Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    But the result was very tight.
    You'd also get a different number of votes if you had a 'do over' today, partly because of those that threw away their vote and partly because of idiots like this bloke http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/man-wh...award-5964450/
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    You'd also get a different number of votes if you had a 'do over' today, partly because of those that threw away their vote and partly because of idiots like this bloke http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/man-wh...award-5964450/
    What better argument one can have against this sort of 'direct democracy' than this guy. He voted to leave because he thought remain will win. It's so funny and sad at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    That's a pretty snobbish and elitist attitude you're expressing. As is "shut up, big brother knows what is good for you, you're too stupid to know anything yourself". The vote is done so learn to live with it.
    If that's how I come across then so be it. I apologise if you don't like it.

As part of my degree I studied the 'Economics of European Integration' so I believe I was probably better informed on this debate than many other people. I know this is elitist, but I believe it to be true.

If people voted 'leave' from a well reasoned opinion then I don't have a problem. That's how democracy should work. But I have a dreadful feeling in my stomach that many people have voted leave on the back of lies, myths and misinformation.

10. Likes: Big Ben (25th June 2016),donKey jote (24th June 2016),Gregor-y (27th June 2016),janvanvurpa (26th June 2016)
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow View Post

As part of my degree I studied the 'Economics of European Integration' so I believe I was probably better informed on this debate than many other people. I know this is elitist, but I believe it to be true.
    Your vote only counts once like everyone elses though. Sadly your extra knowledge could only have been any use if you campaigned actively and informed others of what you saw.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Real friendship is not related to a pragmatic attitude. It might require loyalty and sacrifices. I generally appreciate your positive attitude but I don't believe that stupid cliche of we divorced but we're still best friends.
    Countries should not be run with that emotion though. It should always be how does each party get the best from the current situation. It would aid both sides to remain trading partners and allow movement of peoples. Which wont stop despite some Leave voters wanting it and Remain voters stating thats what will happen.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

13. Likes: donKey jote (24th June 2016)