Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Even if Donkey likes the idea of a super state. It doesn't mean every nation has to agree and except being part of it. Britain hasn't so we should all now except where we are, grow up and come up with what's best for both parties.

Surely the EU will be better off now. We never committed fully so you can get on with the super state.

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk
    suprastate, not superstate
    but you have a point, of course, just like Scotland or Catalonia may also whinge about superstates... what's the trouble with being both Scottish and British, or Catalan and Spanish?
    Why must they be mutually exclusive?
    ... Other than to score a few jingo points and rouse the rabble, on either "side"...
    Last edited by donKey jote; 29th June 2016 at 13:44.
    United in diversity !!!

2. Likes: Big Ben (29th June 2016)
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    We do however kill each other domestically at rates and in sheer numbers approaching brush wars.....all for the glory of drugs and booze and coke and honor...
    True enough, but that's not country to country conflict.

South of us we've cozied up to men who have done the killing for us. We've taught their militarys and police how to torture and kill for decades down at Fort Brag, we give or sell them arms they cannot afford to help them kill their own people quicker and easier...
    How far south are you talking? I said Mexico and, while there is a lot of killing there, it's not by the government or supported by the US government. It is though the rawest form of unrestricted capitalism you can think of.

As for Canada, why would we fight with them when they have been the largest source of capital investment in Merikuh and are so complaint with us...INTERTWINED ECONOMIES...
    duh.
    Exactly and that should be the model for Europe. Merge economies but keep political issues separate.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Exactly and that should be the model for Europe. Merge economies but keep political issues separate.
    The thing is that USA is more of a supra-state anyway. And Canada a little bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    The thing is that USA is more of a supra-state anyway. And Canada a little bit too.
    Actually I misspoke. I meant keep open trade, not merge economies. The US model, states (sovereign countries in Europe) and a national government (European Union) will never work for long in Europe. Free trade alliances ala North America make much more sense. And keep all else separate.
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo View Post
    Heyyyy....UK voluntarely agreed to join EU, nobody ever set a gun to its head to force their entry. You know very well what you were doing from the very start. Leaving it today might be the will of majority but in my opinion it`s a lack of fair play.
    Thats my point. We joined something which has changed beyond all recognition. We joined thinking it would be only a trading organisation, but now its something so much more. Its like saying come to my birthday party, then after a couple of hours I say we are going to lay a patio. Not what we signed up for.

(I am not old enough to know exactly how people felt at the time, but this sums up what many feel I think)
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Is this a way to open a real discussion about what a new EU , including GB , could look like ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Is this a way to open a real discussion about what a new EU , including GB , could look like ?
    That would be a new thread.
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    We joined something which has changed beyond all recognition. We joined thinking it would be only a trading organisation, but now its something so much more. Its like saying come to my birthday party, then after a couple of hours I say we are going to lay a patio. Not what we signed up for.
    That logic would be valid, if UK did not have any say in any of the decision making.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

10. Likes: Big Ben (29th June 2016),donKey jote (30th June 2016)
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    That logic would be valid, if UK did not have any say in any of the decision making.
    The normal working people didnt really did they and they are the ones that have voted to leave. All a lot of them see is the start of a European super state. Which many dont want. There is no point saying they are wrong. Thats what the feel and maybe why some of them voted that way. Plus the UK never committed fully to it by having lots of special let offs, so obviously couldnt change it and didnt want to commit to the future.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    That would be a new thread.
    Certainly , we could discuss it , too , but I meant to ask if perhaps the parties involved directly might see fit to discuss what is wrong with the agreement , especially now that one of them has asked for a divorce .

Article 50 has not been put forward yet .
    There is no deadline , and there is lots of time for talking about making it better .