Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Spectator Timing

Hello everyone,
    as a developer of a high-end stopwatch app, I was recently asked by an apparent rally fan (WRC in particular) for a more niche spectator timing app. The app would allow the fan to measure and compare performance of cars right where he was standing during any special stage. Information would include relative performance compared to the first car (likely assuming a set start time gap of say 3 minutes) as well as averages previously observed.

I am wondering: Is this really something that spectators want? There seem to be a few (really crappy, old) apps out there with rather limited capabilities. Do spectators really measure and compare times at their location while the special stage is in progress. How do they do it right now? Aren't there official split times that are broadcasted through an app live already?

Would be great to get some comments. Thanks for any feedback!
    Best,
    Marc

Liked 407 Times in 272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcb View Post
    Hello everyone,
    as a developer of a high-end stopwatch app, I was recently asked by an apparent rally fan (WRC in particular) for a more niche spectator timing app. The app would allow the fan to measure and compare performance of cars right where he was standing during any special stage. Information would include relative performance compared to the first car (likely assuming a set start time gap of say 3 minutes) as well as averages previously observed.

I am wondering: Is this really something that spectators want? There seem to be a few (really crappy, old) apps out there with rather limited capabilities. Do spectators really measure and compare times at their location while the special stage is in progress. How do they do it right now? Aren't there official split times that are broadcasted through an app live already?

Would be great to get some comments. Thanks for any feedback!
    Best,
    Marc

Hello Marc,

I certainly take interval times whenever i am on a special stage to compare different driver's times. I have always done that, before it was with a simple chronograph, now i amusing an app on my smartphone (Best Timer), but it just eats my batteries so fast you can't believe it. For that reason i am not using the app frequently, i still take times with my chronograph, if i don't forget to take it with me.
    Would be great tough to have a decent app on the phone.

3. Likes: marcb (24th June 2016)
    Liked 161 Times in 79 Posts
    Actually all you need is any running watch. Depending on the starting order and your stage - km - position you will have an easy idea / survey about the stage ranking. Just push the button when the cars leave your field of sight so you can njoy live spectating before. I never did a picture, movie or split time website during my stage visits. Afterwards I get stage results by SMS service thats simply enough and mostly the same I knew from my watch

5. Likes: marcb (24th June 2016)
    Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    I do take splits quite often too, but like others, I keep it simple too. I have now just cheap kitchen timer (worth about 50 cents). I start it when first car passes and compare times to that. It gives an accuracy of about one second which is enough to give an idea if you follow some drivers' times. It's also handy, because I can attach it with a magnet to a chair, iPad cover, etc. I also use it for safety. When we leave stage after top crews and walk along the stage, I can see more accurately whether it'd be wise to jump to the forrest again.

In general I have nothing against using an app, but problem is as mentioned, it eats up battery. Normally you're away from electricity for half a day, so you like save the battery and use it for something more purposeful. If we'd live in a dream world, why not have an app that would position you in the stage map, use official event time and provide all necessary split time features. But for the time being I'm happy with more simple solutions.

(Once in Barum Rally organisers had a split time screen on a spectator area. That was super service. Weird how it isn't more frequently used.)
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

7. Likes: marcb (24th June 2016)
    Liked 359 Times in 175 Posts
    Most accurate split timing system is to use time-stamp on images from DSLR Cameras

9. Likes: marcb (24th June 2016)
    Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts
    I just look at my watch and do mental arithmetic.

11. Likes: marcb (24th June 2016),Rallyper (22nd June 2016)
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk2 RS2000 View Post
    I just look at my watch and do mental arithmetic.
    +1

13. Likes: marcb (24th June 2016),Rallyper (22nd June 2016)
    Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    I'm usually just focused on watching so don't really think about estimating times.

15. Likes: marcb (24th June 2016)
    Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Estimating times on stages is easy. Just use your own watch, have a landmark just before when car goes out of sight. Watch while using own watch...
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

17. Likes: marcb (24th June 2016),pantealex (23rd June 2016)
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    I'm usually just focused on watching so don't really think about estimating times.
    you can watch while timing without loosing even a second. You havent got to watch the chronograph just to push a button.

19. Likes: makinen_fan (23rd June 2016),marcb (24th June 2016),pantealex (23rd June 2016)