Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Liked 140 Times in 86 Posts
    Yeah then bring Harewood House back for 2017, then move the stages to North York Moors for 2018, then shift up to Kielder for 2019, then by 2020 they'll be up in the Cairngorms

2. Likes: driveace (2nd June 2016)
    Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    Next time I go watch the annual November Rally ,is when it comes back home as the "Rally of Great Brittain" ,and uses Yorkshire ,Keilder,the lower Highlands,and Cumbria ,As long as it's held in Wales I will stay at home

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driveace View Post
    Next time I go watch the annual November Rally ,is when it comes back home as the "Rally of Great Brittain" ,and uses Yorkshire ,Keilder,the lower Highlands,and Cumbria ,As long as it's held in Wales I will stay at home
    Even if it moves out of Wales a WRC round will never cover that much ground again.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    Even if it moves out of Wales a WRC round will never cover that much ground again.
    Geographically Rally D'Italia in Sardina has covered such a spread as might include Kielder, Scots Borders and Yorkshire. Rally HQ would need to be Newcastle
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Let’s be honest – the event needs a much bigger geographical spread. The sport is miles off the radar – keeping it in Wales/ or one region is not the solution.

Compare to the Tour of Britain cycle race – the organisers tryto visit as many areas as possible; even over a few years – and still there arecomplaints. But they’re selling the sport to a huge number of followers. Is RallyGB doing this? The simple answer is no.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

7. Likes: Jack4688` (3rd June 2016)
    Well reading the articles recently it does seem like WRC Promoter are applying pressure to move the rally into England to unlock a bigger population. If there are 13 other rounds vying for a place then that's the kind of thing that might force the MSA to look elsewhere. The biggest question is does any other region actually want to fund the rally?

I know Yorkshire were looking at international rallying with this mooted ERC round that never materialised. Ironically they ended up putting money behind cycling. Certainly the Tour of Britain covers a lot of ground but cycling as a sport is set up completely differently. It's the moving roadshow that the WRC used to be. And even the ToB has some criticism from teams for the long transfers from one stage to another.

The central WRC service park kills this ambition. Sardinia might have run a big route but they soon got told to get back in their box and will be out of the championship within a few years. We've seen WRC team bosses crying at the prospect of staying in more than one hotel room on a rally - so I think for the moment we're just dreaming if we want a sprawling Rally GB.

Somewhere in the north-east for the rally hq allowing the stages to be split between North York Moors and Kielder might work. There's the potential to reach greater popolation centres plus more than one local area council can throw their weight behind it. If no one complains you could have one day of long road sections to get to The Lake District

Any plan would need to take into account the FIA's 25 percent rule - which means a quarter of the total route has to be competitive mileage.

The liaisons in the current format are actually deemed too long by the governing body

I was just thinking the distance between Deeside and Hafren/Sweetlamb must be pretty far

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack4688` View Post
    I was just thinking the distance between Deeside and Hafren/Sweetlamb must be pretty far
    Hence the remote midday service. Alghero to Simanna is a pretty long drive (done it twice before so I can say it's less than Newcastle - Penrith)
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!