Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts

Victora Day Long Weekend

Once a year, I am reminded that there is actually a positive aspect of being a part of the British Commonwealth - The Victoria Day Long Weekend (which happens to be this weekend).

Around these parts, it is unofficially the start of camping and cottaging season. Campgrounds and cottage areas, turn from quiet, tranquil places to loud, packed party centres for the weekend as everyone wakes up from their winter hibernation and tries to get all their Ya-Ya's out in three short days.

I'll be heading out to the cabin to get it ready for the summer. This means hooking up the water pump, turning on the electricity and stocking the fridge & cupboards. Then comes the fun - avoiding wood ticks while chasing varmits (rabbit, squirrel, prairie chicken...) in the forest with my son, and maybe pretending to try and catch something by throwing a lure in the water (fishing season started last weekend). The forecast is good, so I'm sure I'll be hanging out on the deck with a brew at the BBQ. Hopefully my pot-smoking neighbor will keep his music down.

Any of you other Commonwealthers get a long weekend, or have long weekend traditions?

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    Any of you other Commonwealthers get a long weekend, or have long weekend traditions?
    This appears to be a Canadian thing. In Australia we get Queen's Birthday weekend on the second Monday in June. Being winter, it's kind of pointless.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Ah yes, fishing. That's where you throw a line in the water with no hook or bait, just a sinker, open a couple beers and hope the fish don't like lead.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Bank Holiday here next weekend.

Then after that have two weeks in the US
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!