Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    Rally's got a decent following in the US; bigger than Mexico and with more clubmen competitors, if more expensive and with higher insurance costs and more regulation. Olympus would be a long way to go, however.

The Great Northern Railway built their transcontinental line using a northern route and recruited heavily in Scandinavia to set up farms along the route. Those areas of Wisconsin, Minnesota, the Dakotas and Montana can be hard to get to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...n_Railway_(U.S.)
    Last edited by Gregor-y; 16th February 2020 at 02:11.

2. Likes: the sniper (16th February 2020)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Read somewhere that that WRC+ has most subscribers from North America.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Your capslock is broken it seems....

Anyway he's telling them to move stages.

I guess for next year they will keep Likenås and probably Hof-Finnskog and try to move other stages further north.

Good bye to Colin's crest.
    Well that is what people have been saying for years, hopefully the organisers will listen this time-

IMO a Superspecial at Höljes could replace Karlstad SSS. There are also claimed to be fine snowy roads in the Lima area but according to SMHI snow depth reports it's only about 10 cm snow in the area.
    However both Höljes and Lima are quite far from Karlstad. I think it might be hard to just move some stages a bit further north. The Mora area also doesn't have any snow this year.
    To get really snow safe (according to this year's conditions) then you probably have to go as far north as Särna-Idre-Gördalen area but perhaps difficult to find stages/accommodation/suitable HQ area.
    In that case probably better to move the entire rally to Östersund/Umeå area due to better public transport availability with trains and airports.
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 1,368 Times in 711 Posts
    Rally Sweden need to be able to more or less guarantee snow/ice as I read mr Todt. Otherwise they are axed.

That means moving out of Värmland and go north and close to the norwegian border, to have some altitude, and stabile cold weather.

6. Likes: AndyRAC (16th February 2020),cali (16th February 2020)
    Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    Read somewhere that that WRC+ has most subscribers from North America.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I remember that, it was in an official WRC document. That was a surprise, but maybe indicative of a relatively low number of subscriber overall.

I think we lose perspective with the USA. No doubt rallying there is very much a minority sport, but even if only 0.1% of the population are (or potentially are) rally fans , that's 300,000+ people. If you were to run the Olympus Rally, even if you were only able to make a bit of an impact in the local area, the population in Washington state alone is 7.5m, which is more than the population of New Zealand or Finland, and far bigger than Sardinia! There's still a car culture in the US which will be far harder to kill than in Europe. Plus when you watch the Subaru ARA coverage, there does seem to be a 'scene' following the sport over there. The You Tube show does relatively good numbers.

Not that this helps the snow rally situation, but Dirtfish Olympus Rally does have a nice ring to it. The event has nice heritage. I'd be very tempted to travel over from the UK to spectate on it as a WRC event. Easy/safe one for international visitors.
    Last edited by the sniper; 16th February 2020 at 10:25.

8. Likes: AndyRAC (16th February 2020),cali (16th February 2020),Sulland (16th February 2020)
    Liked 1,368 Times in 711 Posts
    The Dirtfish team have a plan!
    It will end with a WRC round in North America!

Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    Yeah I remember that, it was in an official WRC document. That was a surprise, but maybe indicative of a relatively low number of subscriber overall.

I think we lose perspective with the USA. No doubt rallying there is very much a minority sport, but even if only 0.1% of the population are (or potentially are) rally fans , that's 300,000+ people. If you were to run the Olympus Rally, even if you were only able to make a bit of an impact in the local area, the population in Washington state alone is 7.5m, which is more than the population of New Zealand or Finland, and far bigger than Sardinia! There's still a car culture in the US which will be far harder to kill than in Europe. Plus when you watch the Subaru ARA coverage, there does seem to be a 'scene' following the sport over there. The You Tube show does relatively good numbers.

Not that this helps the snow rally situation, but Dirtfish Olympus Rally does have a nice ring to it. The event has nice heritage. I'd be very tempted to travel over from the UK to spectate on it as a WRC event. Easy/safe one for international visitors.
    Last edited by Sulland; 16th February 2020 at 13:52.

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    Rally Sweden need to be able to more or less guarantee snow/ice as I read mr Todt. Otherwise they are axed.

That means moving out of Värmland and go north and close to the norwegian border, to have some altitude, and stabile cold weather.
    They have basically two choices. Move a bit further north or go for a big move. If the latter the only realistic choices IMO are Österstund or Umeå.
    It doesn't necessarily have to be close to the Norwegian border or at an large altitude. Vännas has plenty of snow and is only 200 meter above sea level.

Also about the RS's partners (sponsors) most of the major sponsors have no connection to Värmland area. Swecon (listed first) are based in my home city,
    some 300 km east of the rally area. The other tow major partner Toyota Sverige and Skruvat are both based in Stockholm.

Some of the other partners/suppliers are based in Värmland but far from all of them.
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 258 Times in 103 Posts
    In all reality who gives a s**t where the sponors are from? I don't. It is rally Sweden not rally Värmland or whatever.
    Are these companies really so pissed when the rally moves away from their village?

12. Likes: AndyRAC (16th February 2020),dimviii (16th February 2020),EstWRC (16th February 2020)
    Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Well, if they don't manage to find the money to organize the rally anymore, people will give a shit.

14. Likes: pantealex (17th February 2020)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B View Post
    Well, if they don't manage to find the money to organize the rally anymore, people will give a shit.
    Sweden isn’t the Bangladesh or Uganda (with due respect); it’s a country with a rich rally heritage and a strong economy; that should be enough for the organizers to move the event to the north and avoid the weather drama, once for all.
    Rally addict since 1982