Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Btcc 2016

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Taller barriers would help, but perhaps the positioning of the camera stand needs to be considered too. It's an MSV circuit, and they do tend to be pretty hot on these things, so if there need to be changes they will be made quickly.

There might be something in the driving standards criticism too though. I would never criticise a championship for having too many cars, but perhaps in filling a grid of 30+ there are a few drivers who might be advised to go and race somewhere else. None of the crashes happened towards the front of the field after all... I think it was Jordan who said the same people seem to get caught in the incidents, and he's right on yesterday's evidence (although I think Hunter Abbott can be considered unlucky). I don't think the BTCC's reputation for crashes helps; it's been a while since we saw anything like yesterday's carnage, let alone twice in one meeting, but when contact is accepted these things are bound to happen sooner or later. Unfortunately we didn't get a proper view of what triggered the accident, so it's difficult to apportion blame or suggest what needs to be done as a result.

I don't think the Clio pit board incident really needs any changes other than: Make sure you move your pit board out of the way of oncoming traffic. Certainly there's not a lot they can do to relocate the pit wall.

A lucky escape though for all concerned; if Abbott's car had been sent right rather than left it could have gone over the pit wall. Similarly, while it was unfortunate the camera stand got hit, if it hadn't been there could we have had a car in the crowd?
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It was good to see no spectators were injured!!

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inimitablestoo View Post
    Taller barriers would help, but perhaps the positioning of the camera stand needs to be considered too. It's an MSV circuit, and they do tend to be pretty hot on these things, so if there need to be changes they will be made quickly.
    Indeed. As for what those changes should be, if it's not deemed a suitable site for a camera stand, I'd say that area ought not to contain any spectators either, unless a tall fence is put in.

There might be something in the driving standards criticism too though. I would never criticise a championship for having too many cars, but perhaps in filling a grid of 30+ there are a few drivers who might be advised to go and race somewhere else. None of the crashes happened towards the front of the field after all... I think it was Jordan who said the same people seem to get caught in the incidents, and he's right on yesterday's evidence (although I think Hunter Abbott can be considered unlucky). I don't think the BTCC's reputation for crashes helps; it's been a while since we saw anything like yesterday's carnage, let alone twice in one meeting, but when contact is accepted these things are bound to happen sooner or later.
    Yes, I agree. It's a shame, because the driving standards at the front of the field have generally been excellent in the last few seasons — certainly, much better than the 2004-06 period, which was the lowest point I can recall. They were very good yesterday, too, Morgan's constant punting of Shedden in race two aside.

I'd add that, generally, we see far fewer big pile-ups than used to be the case in the early-to-mid-1990s, when the field was full of professional drivers. Generally there was at least one a season back then — Snetterton 1993, Silverstone GP 1994 and Brands 1996 spring to mind.

Jordan is right — it is the same few drivers getting caught up, race after race. Respect to him for saying so in public. Alex Martin seems to be a liability. Ollie Jackson isn't much better. Mark Howard and Kelvin Fletcher seem to go off-track at most meetings, but their mishaps don't tend to involve other drivers.

Unfortunately we didn't get a proper view of what triggered the accident, so it's difficult to apportion blame or suggest what needs to be done as a result.
    There is a YouTube clip showing the race two crash from a slightly better angle, though you still don't see the whole thing. Welch didn't seem to do anything to justify Jackson running into him, but it would be unfair to apportion blame on this basis. In both cases, a look at the TOCA driving standards camera footage would certainly be instructive...

I don't think the Clio pit board incident really needs any changes other than: Make sure you move your pit board out of the way of oncoming traffic. Certainly there's not a lot they can do to relocate the pit wall.
    Or erect a wire debris fence on the pit wall.

A lucky escape though for all concerned; if Abbott's car had been sent right rather than left it could have gone over the pit wall. Similarly, while it was unfortunate the camera stand got hit, if it hadn't been there could we have had a car in the crowd?
    Very definitely. It certainly makes me think that a rolling start really isn't the answer; that same incident would still have happened, but with the cars at a higher speed.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy2k8 View Post
    I've been watching motorsport for 19 years, and that was the worse accident I have ever seen. It'll be a major talking point before Knockhill!
    Did you agree with Jordan's views that some drivers were to blame? I do, in a way
    Yes I do.

Not the worst I've seen in that time. The accident at this year's Goodwood Members' Meeting, where a car ended up in the (thankfully empty) spectator tunnel, was just as frightening.