Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The future of F1 tracks?

What would happen to new tracks when cars start getting six or seven seconds quicker?

More laps? Make tracks longer? Deliberately slow down the cars?

Let's hear your opinions!

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    I like that you are a new enthusiastic activist on these forums, Matt.

Overall I suspect the future of F1 tracks is even more tarmac run-offs than we have had so far... if that's possible!

As for speed of the cars, FIA regulations have aimed at slowing cars down for decades. I doubt cars suddenly get 6-7 seconds quicker... or if they get, FIA makes sure the cars get slowed down again.

Reminds me the fastest F1 cars of all times were in 2004. In the last few years F1 cars have circled quite a few seconds per lap slower than that - regulations on economy engines, Pirelli tyres, "clean" aerodynamics, etc have all had an effect.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phelps View Post
    What would happen to new tracks when cars start getting six or seven seconds quicker?
    Same thing that happens to the old tracks I suppose.

Anyways, I don't know where you get the idea that FIA is going to allow the cars to run faster. Just look at the progression of the FIA-mandated engines architectures: 1.5L turbo (arguably the most powerful in history), 3.5L naturally aspirated (NA), 3.0L (NA), 2.4L NA V8, followed by turbo hybrid that's crippled by fuel capacity.