Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    More than likely the BDO darts will be dropped from the BBC as well, after the next Lakeside world championship. They already had a split-coverage deal with BT Sport last year, somewhat like the deal they did with Sky for F1.

I wonder how much the annual Wimbledon coverage costs. Perhaps Wimbledon doesn't award its TV contract on the basis of highest bid.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Um, also according to the F1 article, the BBC are not immune to financial troubles, like cutting F1 because of the cost, but can someone please tell me how retaining half Six Nations rights is saving money?!

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    We're getting a lot more for our money than we did a few years ago when there were only two BBC channels. Especially considering the license fee is at the lowest level since 1984 in real terms. And added to that the BBC has had to shoulder government-imposed costs like £900m for the move to Manchester and taking over funding the World Service from the Foreign Office.

I think your view of the BBC shows that successive governments have been quite successful in undermining the BBC in favour of their prominent commercial media friends.
    We also have a lot more choice in terms of programming in this day and age. In 1984 people paid the license fee happily because it was the core choice on TV. I just think now with so much choice there is less of a need with the license fee.

Don't get me wrong I think the BBC make superb programs and have completely out done Sky in terms of the quality of the F1 coverage. But we have known for a long time they would eventually drop it and I think the BBC's portfolio is weaker now as a result.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezza View Post
    The BBC needs sorting out from top to bottom with the things that have been going on there over the last 30 years. You saw cuts are made, but they are still paying the likes of Chris Evans huge sums of money to be a prat for a living.

My main concern was ads and now that it is confirmed as Channel 4 and ad-free (during the race) then I'm satisfied. ITV would never have agreed to ad-free, and that is probably how Channel 4 have won the deal.

I think, BDunnell, to suggest it is Conservative voters that caused this is a bit far-fetched...! At the end of the day, the BBC has been a declining force for many years now, long before the year 2010!
    Politically naive, as ever. And your view typifies one of the most tiresome heard in any situation like this: "why should the BBC pay X for Y that I personally don't like?" Because others do, perhaps? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bezza View Post
    I can't see BBC lasting much longer now myself. We are seeing a changing of the guard of TV currently. NOW TV, Amazon Prime and Netflix are the new ways of doing things and BBC are way behind the curve on this. Why pay a license fee for TV that isn't very good - when you can pay a monthly subscription (that costs less) for one of those and have instant access to all sorts of different programmes and movies?

Only programmes left on BBC that I watch are Match of the Day and Graham Norton Show on a Friday night.
    Again, just because that's what you do doesn't mean that others are the same, you know. Millions of people consider the notion of a public service broadcaster deeply valuable. It would be even more so were it not forced to bow to commercial and governmental pressures. And it's not just the TV channels. I would happily pay the licence fee for Radio 4 and the World Service alone.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    We're getting a lot more for our money than we did a few years ago when there were only two BBC channels. Especially considering the license fee is at the lowest level since 1984 in real terms. And added to that the BBC has had to shoulder government-imposed costs like £900m for the move to Manchester and taking over funding the World Service from the Foreign Office.

I think your view of the BBC shows that successive governments have been quite successful in undermining the BBC in favour of their prominent commercial media friends.
    Exactly — and that bone-headed sections of the electorate are perfectly happy in being complicit in doing so, without any thought as to the wider consequences. Yes, that does mean the likes of some people on here, for whose views I have no respect.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell View Post
    Exactly — and that bone-headed sections of the electorate are perfectly happy in being complicit in doing so, without any thought as to the wider consequences. Yes, that does mean the likes of some people on here, for whose views I have no respect.
    Am I included in that?
    I'm still trying to understand the tone of your responses to me yesterday as I felt we shared similar views ultimately.

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Worth pointing out that, of course, we haven't had the last live race on the BBC - because at the same time as announcing they were dropping the TV coverage, they did point out they've extended the radio contract to 2021.

Meanwhile, I suspect we haven't seen the last of Eddie Jordan. With his incomprehensible logic, dodgy wardrobe and curious financial decision making history, he's a shoo-in for the relaunched Top Gear, surely.
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by inimitablestoo View Post
    Worth pointing out that, of course, we haven't had the last live race on the BBC - because at the same time as announcing they were dropping the TV coverage, they did point out they've extended the radio contract to 2021.

Meanwhile, I suspect we haven't seen the last of Eddie Jordan. With his incomprehensible logic, dodgy wardrobe and curious financial decision making history, he's a shoo-in for the relaunched Top Gear, surely.
    I think EJ will possibly go over to sky as C4 have announced a new line up for 2016. I'm not sure about DC as he turned Sky down a few years ago. He may simply become a guest pundit.

Let's face it though neither EJ or DC need the money and only do it for pleasure. I can't see EJ doing Top Gear as he's known more as an F1 boss than a car enthusiast. I'm not sure it's his bag.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    henners . PM .