Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_bytedisaster View Post
    That is a completely objective thing though. What you call bland, is the normal behaviour for a German. You have to understand that for Germans it was historically not a good idea to stand out. For East Germans that was true until as recently as 1989. The best way to ensure a trouble-free life was to conform to the given norm. As a result that cultural trait has survived in most Germans to the present day, especially for people like me, who were born and grew up in a dictatorship.

Many Germans consider Lewis' extroverted antics annoying, which is why he has not many fans over here except for hard-core Merc fans, who like him by proxy, and the reason for that has nothing to do with race or nationality (as is often insinuated if one dares to criticise Hamilton), it's just that many Germans dislike such extroverted antics. I'm sure there are other ethnicities for which that is true as well.
    Yeah it is very subjective and my use of the word bland was more in line with them being very normal, like you or me. Lewis is pushing out an image and perhaps he has many more fans because of this? He's living the playboy lifestyle and mixing with the stars and this is appealing to many in this ever increasing plastic society. Rosberg and Vettel are talented and humble.

I like Rosberg and Vettel and can relate to them, whereas I can't any longer with Hamilton. I still prefer him as a driver though simply for the entertainment.

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    he goes from jr water bucket carrier to sr water bucket carrier for hamilton. plus hamilton may let him wear a earring if he buys lauda an ear
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

3. Likes: Koz (28th November 2015),Tazio (2nd December 2015)
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    That is a completely objective thing though. What you call bland, is the normal behaviour for a German. You have to understand that for Germans it was historically not a good idea to stand out. For East Germans that was true until as recently as 1989. The best way to ensure a trouble-free life was to conform to the given norm. As a result that cultural trait has survived in most Germans to the present day, especially for people like me, who were born and grew up in a dictatorship.

Many Germans consider Lewis' extroverted antics annoying, which is why he has not many fans over here except for hard-core Merc fans, who like him by proxy, and the reason for that has nothing to do with race or nationality (as is often insinuated if one dares to criticise Hamilton), it's just that many Germans dislike such extroverted antics. I'm sure there are other ethnicities for which that is true as well.
    What you call extroverted is the hall mark of the pop culture. It is a movement that has gripped the British youth and mainstream since the sixties. Evidence of it is still prominent in the US, France, Spain, Canada and even Germany etc. To a certain extent, pop culture has waned in recent times but still has a strong presence in the performance arts; music scenes and is making in roads into sports.

Your typical sport personality is very serious and professional like. Mostly politically correct and primed for media interactions. This unfortunately makes almost all sport personalities very boring outside their sporting duties. Take tennis for instance, besides the entertainment of great athleticism of the show, the tennis players are usually very bland. Gone are the days when tennis players let their hair down and reveal their human nature, God l miss John McEroe, Connor, Boris Becker etc. Except a small few not afraid to make fashion statements like the Williams sisters and their earrings etc. I am sure you can name a few others.

The case is very much the same with F1 drivers. Most are quite uninteresting outside the car. Most very rarely show any hint of individualism beside asserting their thoughts during media interviews. Any display of individualism is frowned upon and dismissed as childish and not serious. Or immature.

Hamilton has dared to bring about a cross between the racing world and the arts world. Two paradigms at opposite ends of the human spectrum. A mix of the serious world of F1 and the playful but expressively extravagant culture of the performance art world. It is a daring experiment and certainly challenging the typical F1 culture to dare letting their hair down for a little bit. The great thing about it all, is Hamilton has demonstrated that his individualistic lifestyle has little impact on his abilities to deliver championship winning performances as witnessed this last two years.

There are enough socially conformant [politically correct] drivers on the grid, hence one non conformant individualistic pop culture driver among these lot is most welcomed in my book. Kind of like a modern day Hunt, but different.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th November 2015 at 03:15.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Interesting article here from Hamilton on his recent qualifying form dip:

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...ualifying-form

It explains a lot actually and makes some more sense on why he has lost 6 poles in a row. One thing I noticed from the onboard camera this weekend is that Hamilton's car looked far less stable than Rosberg's. I'm surprised Mercedes made such drastic changes to the car just because of one bad race weekend. As long as he knows the reasons for it I wouldn't be too concerned if I were Lewis as it's likely they can sort it over the winter and the new car may not have the same issues.

Great job by Rosberg again though. Impressive run of results and showing how good he really is!

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Rosberg is flying at the moment.

It would be amazing and exciting if he could start 2016 like this and really give us a title fight next year.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    yea yea, Mercs are boring

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Well this race aint exciting is it?
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Rosberg is flying at the moment.

It would be amazing and exciting if he could start 2016 like this and really give us a title fight next year.
    Not gonna happen. He's only allowed to win because Hamilton already sealed his title.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Not gonna happen. He's only allowed to win because Hamilton already sealed his title.
    It hasn't stopped Merc letting them race in the past. Last season was a closer finish and Nico is really suited to the changes that have been made. Lewis by his own admission is struggling to adapt.

Do you think Lewis only wins because the team fix it for him and are now fixing it so Nico gets some wins as season was already decided?

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Toto said :
    "The biggest weakness is the dynamic of the relationship between the drivers , and sometimes between the drivers and the team."

I wonder if he was talking about anyone in specific .