Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Sorry buddy, l can't see how you could call one of the coolest guys on the grid a nob. But then again l don't understand what you mean so could you explain please.
    I've been a fan of Hamilton that pre dates my 7 years on this forum but some of his private life stuff irritates me sometimes. His comments about God and how blessed he is combined with his often appalling style choices make him look a bit desperate on social media IMO. This is thing that has accelerated over the past 3 years and it's been a little cringe worthy at times. He is filthy rich though and is evidently enjoying every minute of it.

I think he's an amazing driver though and an absolute pleasure to watch. I defend most of his outbursts at GP's and mostly see the good side in his behaviour. I'm a Hamilton fan first and fore most. He can just be a bit of a nob at times.

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    I've been a fan of Hamilton that pre dates my 7 years on this forum but some of his private life stuff irritates me sometimes. His comments about God and how blessed he is combined with his often appalling style choices make him look a bit desperate on social media IMO. This is thing that has accelerated over the past 3 years and it's been a little cringe worthy at times. He is filthy rich though and is evidently enjoying every minute of it.

I think he's an amazing driver though and an absolute pleasure to watch. I defend most of his outbursts at GP's and mostly see the good side in his behaviour. I'm a Hamilton fan first and fore most. He can just be a bit of a nob at times.
    I see what you mean. The great thing about each of us being individuals and essentially human, is that we all have our own unique quirks. Some good and some indifferent. Hence why it is sometimes difficult to like everything about anyone. The very reason why there are divorces, war, prejudices and sometimes pure love. I take the good with the indifferent.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 25th November 2015 at 21:34.

3. Likes: jens (26th November 2015)
    I see what you mean. The great thing about each of us being individuals and essentially human, is that we all have our own unique quirks. Some good and some indifferent. Hence why it is sometimes difficult to like everything about anyone. The very reason why there are divorces, war, prejudices and sometimes pure love. I take the good with the indifferent.
    I suppose he's got a lot more vain and conscious of his image because he is thinking long term about his brand. He was on the radio yesterday talking about going through an experimental stage and about being a style icon. It's stuff like that that makes me cringe. This is him today on social media:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448471916.011859.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448471925.732432.jpg
    A great driver, my favourite, but apart from being an F1 driver, I can't relate to the coolness he is trying to push out. He is a similar age to me too so it's not generational. He does wear cool IWC watches though

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I suppose he's got a lot more vain and conscious of his image because he is thinking long term about his brand. He was on the radio yesterday talking about going through an experimental stage and about being a style icon. It's stuff like that that makes me cringe. This is him today on social media:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448471916.011859.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448471925.732432.jpg
    A great driver, my favourite, but apart from being an F1 driver, I can't relate to the coolness he is trying to push out. He is a similar age to me too so it's not generational. He does wear cool IWC watches though
    He's certainly a lot different from the Lewis Hamilton that came into the sport in 2007. I agree he can be a bit of a knob. I remember one picture of him on twitter a couple of months back with a big pink hat on him. It was the ultimate in cringe.

But I couldn't really care less about what the drivers do outside of the sport. Like it or not, he's bringing a lot of attention to F1 and it is people like him that reach those that might not be reached under normal circumstances. He might be cringe but he's a great for the sport in that regard. Most drivers up until now have simply been coming to the GP's, doing their weekends work. spending some time with Engineers along with the required sponsorship and that's it. He's living his life how he wants to live it and, while it may be cringe in certain regards, I admire that he is doing it his way. I don't regard him as living a rock star lifestyle, we'll reserve that for the likes of the Rolling Stones whereas Hamilton is more boyz in da hood!

There's no doubting his talents behind the wheel. He is fantastic to watch but I do feel he can be better and is not exactly reaching the peak of his talents yet. If he spent more time with his Engineers, I don't think Nico would get a sideways look in but as it stands now, with him partying so much, I can't see how he is extracting the maximum from himself or his package. You simply can't live the lifestyle he has lead over the past month in particular and be at your ultimate level of fitness or preparedness. I'm fully convinced this is why Nico has suddenly gotten on top of him. I've been watching his qualifying laps on board throughout the entire year. I've seen all his pole laps as they happened from on board camera and there is a significant difference in the last couple of races with how well he is driving compared to earlier on in the year. His laps earlier in the year were just ballistic, perfect with every ounce extracted from the car. They haven't been that way in the last 5-6 grand prix and to me that's been pretty clear. In a race he still seems to have the upper hand on Nico, in that if he got out front I'd would expect he'd pull away, but he needs to pop it on pole to get that chance.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 26th November 2015 at 08:50.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    That's pretty well said.

It depends, what is anyone's definition to being "cool", but for me Ricciardo is perhaps the coolest guy out there. He just seems like a great personality, that's it. And I like Vettel for his humour and apparent easy-goingness.

But overall yeah, they are all personalities in their own way and do not need to be perfect. And in all honesty we simply don't know many things about them either - and don't need to know either. We know, what is reflected through (social) media.

In a way they are all normal human beings, who are having an extraordinary lifestyle. They are under lots of pressure and sometimes make mistakes (not just in racing, but also off-track). As long as they are not criminals, I guess they are just fine. Which means we do not need to overanalyze their 'quirks', which every normal person around us - and we ourselves - have anyway.
    Last edited by jens; 26th November 2015 at 10:50.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Sorry , kids , but that's all BS .

It's the personalities that we watch , like Ricciardo's smile , or Massa's plucky come-back , or Kimi's wry sense of humour .
    We wait impatiently to hear reactions from drivers after incidents on track to get their take on just what happened .

That's all about personality .

It is truly more exciting to know the back story when two unrelenting egos enter a corner vying for position .

These guys are in the limelight .
    Some take it and hide it away , and that's fair game .

And some , like Lewis , go out and run with it , which is also fair game .

But , really , as nobody is in this game for very long , all should be acting a little more like Lewis , as his antics seemingly keep the sport in the news almost as much as the sport , itself does .
    Driving is only part of it .

You can try to be the curmudgeonly millionaire , and be less marketable when it comes to contract time , or you can , "a la Hunt" , have fun with it .
    Maybe somewhere in between the two might be best , but it's a part of what keeps the whole thing going .

Everyone wants to know the full story of their heroes .

You love his driving but he can be a nob .
    You'd like him better if he was never a nob .

Point made .

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I remember one picture of him on twitter a couple of months back with a big pink hat on him.
    He's always said his childhood 'F1' hero was Senna. Maybe his 'style' hero is MS.

9. Likes: henners88 (26th November 2015)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    He's certainly a lot different from the Lewis Hamilton that came into the sport in 2007. I agree he can be a bit of a knob. I remember one picture of him on twitter a couple of months back with a big pink hat on him. It was the ultimate in cringe.

But I couldn't really care less about what the drivers do outside of the sport. Like it or not, he's bringing a lot of attention to F1 and it is people like him that reach those that might not be reached under normal circumstances. He might be cringe but he's a great for the sport in that regard. Most drivers up until now have simply been coming to the GP's, doing their weekends work. spending some time with Engineers along with the required sponsorship and that's it. He's living his life how he wants to live it and, while it may be cringe in certain regards, I admire that he is doing it his way. I don't regard him as living a rock star lifestyle, we'll reserve that for the likes of the Rolling Stones whereas Hamilton is more boyz in da hood!

There's no doubting his talents behind the wheel. He is fantastic to watch but I do feel he can be better and is not exactly reaching the peak of his talents yet. If he spent more time with his Engineers, I don't think Nico would get a sideways look in but as it stands now, with him partying so much, I can't see how he is extracting the maximum from himself or his package. You simply can't live the lifestyle he has lead over the past month in particular and be at your ultimate level of fitness or preparedness. I'm fully convinced this is why Nico has suddenly gotten on top of him. I've been watching his qualifying laps on board throughout the entire year. I've seen all his pole laps as they happened from on board camera and there is a significant difference in the last couple of races with how well he is driving compared to earlier on in the year. His laps earlier in the year were just ballistic, perfect with every ounce extracted from the car. They haven't been that way in the last 5-6 grand prix and to me that's been pretty clear. In a race he still seems to have the upper hand on Nico, in that if he got out front I'd would expect he'd pull away, but he needs to pop it on pole to get that chance.
    Yeah he is a fantastic talent and is bringing a lot of fans to F1, and in a time where less people are watching if that makes sense? He's appealing to the younger generation where the likes of Vettel and Rosberg are perhaps too bland? Still, his humble background is long forgotten and he is a 'big baller' now lol. He has a photographer following him wherever he goes and it doesn't matter if he posts accidental posed photos on Instagram. He did a great interview with Watchanish yesterday on Periscope which was worth a look for anybody who likes watches.

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Yeah he is a fantastic talent and is bringing a lot of fans to F1, and in a time where less people are watching if that makes sense? He's appealing to the younger generation where the likes of Vettel and Rosberg are perhaps too bland? Still, his humble background is long forgotten and he is a 'big baller' now lol. He has a photographer following him wherever he goes and it doesn't matter if he posts accidental posed photos on Instagram. He did a great interview with Watchanish yesterday on Periscope which was worth a look for anybody who likes watches.
    That is a completely objective thing though. What you call bland, is the normal behaviour for a German. You have to understand that for Germans it was historically not a good idea to stand out. For East Germans that was true until as recently as 1989. The best way to ensure a trouble-free life was to conform to the given norm. As a result that cultural trait has survived in most Germans to the present day, especially for people like me, who were born and grew up in a dictatorship.

Many Germans consider Lewis' extroverted antics annoying, which is why he has not many fans over here except for hard-core Merc fans, who like him by proxy, and the reason for that has nothing to do with race or nationality (as is often insinuated if one dares to criticise Hamilton), it's just that many Germans dislike such extroverted antics. I'm sure there are other ethnicities for which that is true as well.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Vettel is certainly not someone you can call bland. People either like him or hate him, but few are indifferent. I can understand drivers like Hülkenberg or Glock are very modest and you won't know much about them. Same with Kovalainen.

Personally I don't like the phrase 'bland'. It is often a way to protect someone's ignorance to discover new different things/people; and also a way to defend ridiculous antics by saying "but at least it is exciting".