Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Future of F1 on TV?

According to one paper last week, the future of Sky F1 could be in danger because of the massive money spent on football, which would then leave the BBC with a problem!
    Do you think there's any truth in this?

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    From what I've read across the Info-Bahn it appears the sport itself is in enough trouble, with several folks forecasting that motor racing may well end up as a 'thing of the past'... in our lifetime.

Fans have been complaining about the pay-to-view-spectacle for a while. I can't see that lasting long if more and more fans keep referring the events as "funeral processions".

I would like to think otherwise, but time has shown (me at least) that all things change - and not necessarily for the better.

TBH, I could see where people would just pass on the tele and select virtual gaming instead. I mean really, you just look at what has "developed" in the sport over the last 20 years or so: rogue drivers... leading to handbags at dawn headlines... driver aide contraptions... shoddy management (select your favorite villan)... circuit layouts 'restructured' to resememble that ghastly Detroit GP (a sign of things to come)... openly shady deals (German court system springs to mind)... shift of venues to dictatorship countries... constant stupid rule changes .... increasing prices on just about everything... and now more pockets to fill just to watch a 2 hour (at best)
    race?
    Not to sound like Terry Thomas' character, Major Hawthorne, but it's a wonder that it - the sport - didn't collapse overnight.

Okay, rant over.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AAReagles View Post
    From what I've read across the Info-Bahn it appears the sport itself is in enough trouble, with several folks forecasting that motor racing may well end up as a 'thing of the past'... in our lifetime.

Fans have been complaining about the pay-to-view-spectacle for a while. I can't see that lasting long if more and more fans keep referring the events as "funeral processions".

I would like to think otherwise, but time has shown (me at least) that all things change - and not necessarily for the better.

TBH, I could see where people would just pass on the tele and select virtual gaming instead. I mean really, you just look at what has "developed" in the sport over the last 20 years or so: rogue drivers... leading to handbags at dawn headlines... driver aide contraptions... shoddy management (select your favorite villan)... circuit layouts 'restructured' to resememble that ghastly Detroit GP (a sign of things to come)... openly shady deals (German court system springs to mind)... shift of venues to dictatorship countries... constant stupid rule changes .... increasing prices on just about everything... and now more pockets to fill just to watch a 2 hour (at best)
    race?
    Not to sound like Terry Thomas' character, Major Hawthorne, but it's a wonder that it - the sport - didn't collapse overnight.

Okay, rant over.
    I do agree with you there, it is sad to see the artificial ways of 'making F1 more exciting'. I think the BBC are already losing interest, I'm not sure, what with their current motorsport portfolio, ITV would even want it back. Yes, motorsport fans don't want funeral processions, the BTCC proves that!

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    In other parts of the world, F1 isn't in air broadcast TV. At least in my country and most of Latin America. Here in Argentina, with the common cableoperator you have to choose to see half live races on Fox Sports or contract DirectTV and see Canal F1 Latin America to see all races live.

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Since nearly ten years we in Sweden have to pay if we want to see F1.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    I don't mind paying my bill with DISH, it is just that the NBC coverage has a commercial every 5-6 minutes, thus causing me to simultaneously stream a Sky broadcast. I've ended up leaving the Sky audio on, and only watch the high def TV broadcast in-between commercials muted, which is too bad, because I really like our broadcast team.
    With all the issues F1 has, it is still my fav sport to watch, and will always find a way to watch it.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    I don't mind paying my bill with DISH, it is just that the NBC coverage has a commercial every 5-6 minutes, thus causing me to simultaneously stream a Sky broadcast. I've ended up leaving the Sky audio on, and only watch the high def TV broadcast in-between commercials muted, which is too bad, because I really like our broadcast team.
    With all the issues F1 has, it is still my fav sport to watch, and will always find a way to watch it.
    Since F1 is the only sport I still pay any attention to, and pretty much the only programming that I get that I can't get over air or over the internet, I've just sucked up to the fact that I'm probably always going to have to pay for it one way or another. I guess I kinda know how you married dudes feel now.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

8. Likes: Tazio (27th May 2015)
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    Bernie blames Vettel and Rosberg for F1's lack of exposure because they don't blurt out every inane thought they have on social media. Yet at the same time he has been hiding F1 away behind pay TV deals for years. F1 has a decreasing level of exposure to the average citizen because of this. F1 drivers and teams can bang on all day on Twitter but it won't make a lick of difference if people can't see the races.

It's also somewhat ironic that Bernie wants the drivers to use social media more when F1 has completely failed to make use of the internet. I won't wish harm upon him but he really has to step down. All the good he has done in raising the profile of F1 through the years is being blown away by his complete lack of understanding of how to promote the sport in the current environment.

I'm only going to get to see about 6 races this year because of the new Australian broadcasting arrangements. Next year I doubt I'll see any. Almost 30 years of watching the sport will come to an end because I can't afford a Rolex and Bernie doesn't care.
    Forza Ferrari!!

10. Likes: Mia 01 (27th May 2015)