Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts

Proposed Rule Changes

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...return-f1-2017

I don't mind all the rule changes and look forward to the return of refueling, this will most certainly add a better dynamic to the show
    the only thing i don;t like is the Free choice of the two dry tire compounds (out of four) that each team can use during the race weekend

That to me is too much of a gamble and brings back the old sad days of half the grid being good on one set of tires and the other half suffering.
    I've never liked tires being a major factor in the racing and have come to accept the current system which seems fair enough.
    And with Michelin talking about coming back to the sport in 2017 this will just be a jumbled mess.

I simply prefer 1 tire manufacturer and them deciding the 2 compounds for the weekend. In that way it is fair for everyone up and down the grid
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    It would appear that the Strategy Groups consultation (somewhat) included the fans input on social media. Most of the changes co-relate to what I saw expressed on various message boards/forums.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...return-f1-2017

I don't mind all the rule changes and look forward to the return of refueling, this will most certainly add a better dynamic to the show
    the only thing i don;t like is the Free choice of the two dry tire compounds (out of four) that each team can use during the race weekend

That to me is too much of a gamble and brings back the old sad days of half the grid being good on one set of tires and the other half suffering.
    I've never liked tires being a major factor in the racing and have come to accept the current system which seems fair enough.
    And with Michelin talking about coming back to the sport in 2017 this will just be a jumbled mess.

I simply prefer 1 tire manufacturer and them deciding the 2 compounds for the weekend. In that way it is fair for everyone up and down the grid
    I am the polar opposite.

NO to refuelling, it is expensive, dangerous and pointless. It is just in there to artificially up the interest levels of none-racing fans. As to the tyres about time. Part of a drivers skill was choosing tyres and tactics that best suit him/her and the conditions. One of the greatest F1 victories of all time was Gerhard Berger and Benetton's maiden win in Mexico, when Berger put on super hard tyres and didn't stop - stroke of tactical genius!! More than one supplier is good too, as long as the costs are not allowed to spiral out of control.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    I'm all for allowing the teams to choose tire compounds (within reason, depending on the circuit). And I like the idea of going to a wider tire. When I look at shots from years ago, these current cars look more like GP2 cars. Bigger wheels? I don't really care. Refueling? I don't see the point. Considering how much it adds to cost and how much of a safety issue it would be, I think the risk outweighs the reward. I'm against customer cars. That's not what F1 is all about. CART made it work. But CART, although hugely entertaining, was a very different series than F1. It never really had a Constructors' Championship. But I am in favor of opening up the list of components which teams can purchase - just not to the point of having what Bernie is suggesting, with a two tier championship. How he figures that the fans wouldn't notice that is beyond me.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith