Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts

Is this going to be a boring season?

In 2014, nearly every F1 spectator thought, or perhaps always felt at some kind of subconscious level, that Lewis Hamilton is in another higher league from his Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg. And so we were pleasantly surprised by the fact that the driver championship battle went on all the way until the end of year. Yes, such long battle happened likely because of a succession of unexpected incidents, such as reliability issues, and on-track dramas (like Monaco qualifying or the Spa incident). In the end, a whole lot of spectators were happy that a close points competition existed all the way to the end of 2014. The only other minor excitement was provided by the performances of the young rising stars like Ricciardo, Bottas, and Bianchi (the last is unfortunately and painfully struggles for his life as of now) while the powerhouse teams like Ferrari and McLaren were seemingly MIA.

However, this season, I suspect Mercedes has finally sorted its reliability issues and instilled a strict code of conduct among the drivers. The result? Hamilton wins two out of the three first races, and he stays ahead of his teammate in qualifying and all three races so far. Even though Mercedes was caught with its pants down in Malaysia, I am afraid that the Chinese GP will be the blueprint for the rest of this season. We're going to see Hamilton-Rosberg 1-2, followed by Ferraris, and then the rest. Sure, a couple of weird and unexpected races may happen, like the Canadian GP of 2011, but the outcome of the season is nearly clear by now. Agree or disagree?

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    If the question is whether Hamilton is the main favourite to win the title and it is his title to lose, then yes.

In terms of individual race results it looks like we could get more variety than in 2014 at least at the front. Because Ferrari's race pace is much closer to Mercedes than what anyone managed last year. And there will be more races in which Ferrari can win. But in terms of championship it may not be enough.

As for the overall depth of the field, competition is still as sparse as last year, with no progress on that front. Big class differences. Mercedes alone, then Ferrari alone, then Williams, then Lotus. Right down to McLaren. You get the point.

Actually I was thinking that if Ferrari would be close(r) to Mercedes, this season would almost remind 2007. Then also we had two teams firmly at the front. Then BMW Sauber (now Williams) almost always 5th and 6th in no-mans-land. And then the rest of the field in a tight(ish) scrap for P4 in the constructors championship.

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    Hamilton and Mercedes are obvious but I find it very interesting below. The new guys in the bulls, the saubers. Teams' championship is even more intriguing. I'm having high expectations for the first half of the season.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    this years sauber car is like some of the toyota's in the past. an above average car wasted on below average drivers.

put alonso and jneson in the saubes and you would see them give the williams and ferrari a run for their money.

So far i am disappointed with force india's step back, happy about the lotus gaining momentum and fully expected mclaren to be where they are. Their troubles go beyond the honda engine. something is simply off with the team as a whole.

I still think that RBR will get their act together sooner than later with a much improved engine. last year this time we were taling about a mercedes sweep of the season and look what happened. in 2009 we were talking about a brawn sweep and look what happened. Despite mercedes dominance, there are opportunities and thaat is more than can be said about 2 of the 4 RBR WCC years.
    you can't argue with results.

5. Likes: Duncan (15th April 2015),Tazio (15th April 2015)
    Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    At least were having a season, and as usual all sharp objects are in a time locked vault from Friday to Sunday night, that only Slash can override with the back door password.
    I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I have this recurring thought that Mike is just going to show up for the USGP on a Harley wearing a chrome Skid Lid all tatted up with a Lucky Strike hanging off his lip all like, "'sup dawgz?" And he'll have a babe on the backseat in a thonged bikini, but it won't be Corrina, it will be Connie Montoya all buffed and tan, sporting spike heels with a freakin' bottle of Tequila in her hand, chirping: "Where's Slash? Let's party!"
    Last edited by Tazio; 15th April 2015 at 07:18.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    Whilst it does appear that it is going to be largely 2 by 2 through the field, there has been some decent racing midpack and I think it will be interesting to watch Mclaren's progress as they develop and the likes if FI, Sauber and Torro Rosso likely stagnate due to lack of funds

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Maybe not the most riveting season, but enough to keep me intrigued.

Mercedes not having it all their own way. I have thought this is like 1989 compared to 1988, which I think is an underrated season. A big appeal of F1 for me is the interest of seeing teams close the gap a little over a dominant team. 1989 was still McLaren but other teams and drivers got a look in, and compared to 1988 seems much more fun.

2007 and 2008 is another example. 2008 was sorta similar but with BMW and others closer and able to get in the mix much more than the previous year.

Max Verstappen and Toro Rosso. I have been really keen to see what Max can do, and I expected he would do what he's done so far, and that Toro Rosso would get closer to Red Bull (in fact seem better).

I am very interested in Manor's slow recovery from near death experience, and if they keep fighting and going forward, what hope there could be in the future.

Nice to see Lotus improving, though it appears to be ONLY the Merc engine pretty much.

I find McLaren's progress interesting too, and indeed am curious to see if there chassis really is any good when they can get it dialled in. My suspicion is it's decent, around on a par with Williams.

Even maybe the prospect of seeing what Hamilton can do in a season where he can really stretch his legs a bit without being too truncated by issues, sort of like MSC and Vettel have had for example. Although that may be boring, I wouldn't mind seeing just one season, if it does happen, where he's able to drive relatively unfettered throughout the year.
    Last edited by rjbetty; 15th April 2015 at 06:53.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rj Bad Co
    I am very interested in Manor's slow recovery from near death experience
    May the forza be with you

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    this years sauber car is like some of the toyota's in the past. an above average car wasted on below average drivers.

put alonso and jneson in the saubes and you would see them give the williams and ferrari a run for their money.
    Trulli (but also his team-mates) wasn't that bad. He was an adequate midfield driver comparable to the likes of Webber, Barrichello, and others, who were also in midfield on those days. Toyota didn't attract a top driver, but then again nobody among them would have liked to join the team back then anyway. But Toyota drivers were fine among other midfield drivers, who were there at the time.

As for Sauber. I doubt they are THAT good that they can fight against Williams, let alone Ferrari. There are some pretty clear class differences among teams. We should not overexaggerate.

For instance at the Australian GP Massa (4th in the Williams) finished almost a minute in front of Nasr (5th in the Sauber). And this is Massa we are talking about, who is not known for stunning race pace. It is easily possible at that race Nasr as a driver happened to have a good day and performed just as well as Massa.
    Last edited by jens; 15th April 2015 at 09:55.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Yes. But you'll continue to watch it, and for many years/decades to come.