Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1996 f1

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

1996 f1

Just watching highlights of the 1996 Australian GP. Man I do miss the sound of those engines. Something you don't appreciate until it's gone! Those V10s were awesome.

Wide cars with wide tyres looked good!

Murray Walker! Those were the days!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Don't know if you will agree Mark, but even better than the sound was the vibration in the air that your whole body felt because of the sound, you could literally feel the noise of the engines in every bone in your body. With less of the bullsh#t regulations the racing was better, drivers could actually race without the fear of being black flagged for any little thing.

3. Likes: Duncan (31st March 2015)
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    Don't know if you will agree Mark, but even better than the sound was the vibration in the air that your whole body felt because of the sound, you could literally feel the noise of the engines in every bone in your body. With less of the bullsh#t regulations the racing was better, drivers could actually race without the fear of being black flagged for any little thing.
    I agree. The first times I went to see F1 cars live, the sound was ear piercing, the vibrations were bone rattling. Awesome.

Plus as you say, slightly more physical racing. That does annoy me know. Always must be someone to blame. I mean look at Malaysia. Perez was at high speed and could not stop a tad of natural understeer. Also Hulkenberg was unfairly penalised. Both racing incidents in which the other drivers could have avoided too.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Aww, 1996.

I have been watching some of the old qualifying sessions. Murray Walker, but also Eurosport's Ben Edwards-John Watson is a classic commentary as well. And I don't know, but if I watch a random quali lap driven by Montermini, Lavaggi, Inoue, or whoever else was there at the back, it creates a unique nostalgic feeling.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    The energy-saving power units is where the manufacturers wanted to head. The same situation is in the top LMP1 class in WEC. Audis pass by with a whisper and Porsches sound surprisingly sedate. Only Toyota still sounds like a proper race car.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    The 1998 047D trhat was sort of a Ferraris Suzuka special, produced 800 crude normally aspirated Bhp. I saw the 2006 BMW Sauber traveling show as I've mentioned on here before, the car driven by a very young Graham Rahal. I was so close to that exhibition that I swore that thing was a v10, but at that time I was on a forced vacation from this forum, and someone on another forum pointed out that that was actually a detuned v8.

Sorrry ...
    Last edited by Tazio; 31st March 2015 at 04:43.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Just watching highlights of the 1996 Australian GP. Man I do miss the sound of those engines. Something you don't appreciate until it's gone! Those V10s were awesome.

Wide cars with wide tyres looked good!

Murray Walker! Those were the days!
    oh yeah.

My 2+ yr old likes to watch a couple of videos on my phone - '96 and '98 season review. I tend to fall into nostalgia at the sound/look of those cars.....they howl and scream and give me goosebumps even in a 2.:30 video

sad to see what a joke the cars are thesedays...look bad and sound worse.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

9. Likes: Tazio (31st March 2015)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    1996 Australian Grand Prix. The peak of popularity for the race in this city. We loved taking it off Adelaide. Did you know, round about the same time, Sri Lanka beat Australia in that year's Cricket World Cup final?

What I don't get from the OP. Is that why get excited over the engines from that time? Watch videos from the early 90s if you're serious about engine noise. The throaty roar, rumble from a genuine wide variety of engines.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Plus as you say, slightly more physical racing..
    Tbh, I remember those times being particularly processional. In the 96 AGP, Hill didn't even attempt to pass JV's failing car til it was particularly bad.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    Tbh, I remember those times being particularly processional. In the 96 AGP, Hill didn't even attempt to pass JV's failing car til it was particularly bad.
    Agreed, I remember when I was watching the particular race live, that it was all rather boring until JV started having issues.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums