Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Macca should be orange, the Sauber looks awful, and the Toro Rosso should have a livery different to the parent team.

Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    It's going to take me some time to learn distinguish between Force India and McLaren.
    I have a hard time telling them apart as well, especially from the front. What's even worse is that they are hanging around each other during the race.
    Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow View Post
    The Sauber looks like the type of livery you see on a Formula Ford, not a state of the art F1 team.
    I know, but its something not often seen in F1 and hence is different imo...

state of the art livery? dull McL

Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    Kinda like the cricket world cup, with half of all of the teams turning up in blue???
    yeah what's the deal with blue v blue or 2 teams in green colours? they should have a football type home/away kit rule!
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Nice thread. You know I was thinking about 2000, and back then, EVERY livery imo was absolutely lush. Not one didn't look beautiful (even the Minardi which at first I thought was horrific but grew to love). They don't make em like they used to.

2014 liveries:

Mercedes: I've always loved Mercedes silver and PETRONAS aqua, so to have them both together is absolutely sweet,

Red Bull: Not my favourite but it's fine. Sure it's possible to do better.

Williams: Love. At first I thought it was a little too white with too little Martini, but now I like it just fine.

Ferrari: Bring back the 2007-2008 livery! Not so keen on the recent black, though I liked it on the late 90s cars.-

McLaren: I don't think it's terrible but I'm very disappointed. Like I said, all cars in 2000 seemed stunning, this just ain't.

Force India: See above, yet I kinda like it. Maybe a little TOO much black/grey though.

Toro Rosso: Actually tend to like these, though tbh they're always forgettable. Why not something radical for a change?

Sauber: Hmmm looks like a lame version of a Benetton. Terribly disappointing from the team that ran that gorgeously beautiful Red Bull/PETRONAS livery in the late 90s in particular. Unlike their 1st incarnation (pre BMW) Sauber have never once failed to have a rubbish livery since their 2nd run. Disappointing.

Manor: Actually quite like it, but surely can do better when they can afford to buy some paint.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    I agree that liveries in the early 2000s were great and there was lots of variety in terms of colours.

At the moment I seriously think Sauber is one of the best liveries out there. It is not so much that it is an awesome classic livery, which will go down in the history, but rather that its bright colours stand out so well compared to the "greyness" of the rest of the field. Also it strikes as fresh and new, compared to others. Their cars immediately catch attention in the pack.

Dark blue Red Bulls look similar to each other, McLaren/FI are almost carbon copy of each other except orange/red stripe . Williams striked as sort of interesting last year, but too white/empty to my taste. Like the Virgin Brawn of 2009.
    Last edited by jens; 1st April 2015 at 13:06.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    A lot of them have the look of "design by committee" about them. No doubt the marketing departments of major sponsors (for those teams that have them!) get to put their oar in, as well as everyone in the team management having an opinion on it, and inevitably any spark of inspiration is crushed in the result.

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    If McLaren lands a primary sponsor or just changes it's colors, the silver car problem goes away.

Personally I think they came close, but missed a chance to go with the old, old, old Honda colors............

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    .... No doubt the marketing departments of major sponsors (for those teams that have them!) get to put their oar in....
    Indeed the very reason for Sauber's current livery.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
    If McLaren lands a primary sponsor or just changes it's colors, the silver car problem goes away.
    That's kind of how McLaren ended up with their Silberpfeil livery in the first place.

Their logo to this day, is basically a derivation of the Marlboro chevron but when their primary sponsor changed from Marlboro to West, they also changed from red and white to silver. West had already run red and white as the primary sponsor of Zakspeed from 1985-89.

That's kind of why I think that the current silver livery is a nonsense. It makes minus sense from a marketing and branding perspective.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    That's kind of why I think that the current silver livery is a nonsense. It makes minus sense from a marketing and branding perspective.
    The only branding McLaren has now is Honda, which is why, at least until they land a primary sponsor, the Honda livery makes sense. With the cars in silver they are wasting the opportunity to get Honda some exposure.

That or they could do some cool concept artwork on the cars like Honda did a few years ago, or like Audi did with the Crocodile R8. They are basically wasting a lot of opportunities to do something cool, things that might actually attract sponsporship. T

That and what they are running now looks like a giant phallus outlined in red. You can figure it out for yourself what the red mirrors resemble. It's horrible. I mean, they are slow and ugly.