Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Amateur racing culture

Good day. I would like to get informed about the amateur racing culture, especially in United Kingdom. As far as i know, if you love racing you should buy a car for 1000£-2000£, modify it and race. I think it is expensive and i search for solutions to enable non-rich people to race on weekends with their friends. For me, it is difficult to buy an extra car just for racing purposes + i will have to modify it,to buy braking pads and fluid everytime,to change tires. I think it would be better if cars will be provided by organizations. I have an entrepreneurial idea on creating a company that will provide cars for racing and i think that racing demand for rental cars will be much more higher that for your usage of your own car, especially because you dont want to damage it. I thought that monthly costs would prevail 250 000 GBP per month with 20 cars,racing 8 hours a day. And it makes impossible to provide cars per hour just for 20 GBP. I search for solutions now. Please provide some financial,marketing,technical information about my idea. If you have any solutions i will be glad to hear. Thank you very much.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    There is already a thriving race car rental business going in the US. Mostly in amateur spec classes like Miata and Spec racer.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    The cheapest way I've found for competitive racing is online simulators. Iracing.com for example is full of racing drivers who have run out of money for 'real' racing, and is even used by many pro's like Dale Earnhardt, Jnr, Shane van Gisbergen. Even Lewis Hamilton has a profile on there.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    As a form of motorsport. You could compete in Motorkhana, Khanacross, Autocross, Super Sprints, in a regular standard car. I don't know if they have a different name for those disciplines in the UK.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    As a form of motorsport. You could compete in Motorkhana, Khanacross, Autocross, Super Sprints, in a regular standard car. I don't know if they have a different name for those disciplines in the UK.
    Autocross would be what we'd call sprinting (autocross is another sport that is run on loose surfaces, usually in a field). I do sprinting and hillclimbing and you can basically turn up in a road car (and many people do drive their everyday car) or an all out racer (and anything in between). It's all for fun and I know people that have done it in a diesel VW Lupo (not sure if they're called that outside the UK). An even cheaper way to compete is to enter an autotest or autosolo, small nimble cars are even better here (and in the case of an autosolo the car MUST best roadgoing and driven to the venue).

Quote Originally Posted by Zakir Agazade View Post
    I have an entrepreneurial idea on creating a company that will provide cars for racing and i think that racing demand for rental cars will be much more higher that for your usage of your own car, especially because you dont want to damage it. I thought that monthly costs would prevail 250 000 GBP per month with 20 cars,racing 8 hours a day. And it makes impossible to provide cars per hour just for 20 GBP. I search for solutions now. Please provide some financial,marketing,technical information about my idea. If you have any solutions i will be glad to hear.
    Car hire does already exist in the UK (a lot of people enter rallies using hired vehicles) but the cost of preparing an all out race car means that you're going to pay far more than £20 an hour. Also you can pretty much rely on people only hiring cars for a weekend (and for a limited number of weekends in a year), so for easily 250 days of the year the car is sat in storage not earning anything.

Costs are simply way more than you've stated. This is a link to the options for the VW Fun Cup (which does also include support) http://www.funcup.co.uk/get-on-track...ive-and-drive/

You'll find that there are plenty of options already on arrive and drive, from a Ford Fiesta or Pug 205, up to Aston Martins and full blown WRC cars. It's a system that works, and makes people good money, but you need plenty of capital to invest first and you need to charge way more than £20/hr.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

6. Likes: journeyman racer (2nd April 2015)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi guys I am currently doing a dissertation into drivers personalities, If you could all spare me 5 minutes of your time to fill out a short questionnaire id be eternally grateful, all opinions and answers are accepted ad long as they are serious and if you don't have a clue on the answers that not a problem either. Thank you very much for your time, Josh.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1OhT...zNKNo/viewform

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Ullathorne View Post
    Hi guys I am currently doing a dissertation into drivers personalities, If you could all spare me 5 minutes of your time to fill out a short questionnaire id be eternally grateful, all opinions and answers are accepted ad long as they are serious and if you don't have a clue on the answers that not a problem either. Thank you very much for your time, Josh.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1OhT...zNKNo/viewform
    Hi, had a look at it but not sure if my answers will be too helpful too many of the questions are either too psychology weighted for me or not specific enough. You say at the top that they can relate to any level, but that makes a lot of the questions awkward to answer as a lot of them depend on a number of factors. I think that you need to think about clarifying it to a specific discipline, for example, I think that personality for a BTCC driver is less important than it would be for an endurance driver. Also are the questions specifically relating to the role as a driver (and no more), or should my answers take into account the numerous media responsibilities required from a top level professional?

Not looking to rip into your survey, just think that you might get some more helpful data if you rejig a few of the questions.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Any criticism is happily accepted as it will aid in a better more profound study so for that i thank you, the study is aimed at highlighting the current knowledge of a motorsports related demographic. The knowledge i will present in my study is aimed at identifying core psychological aspect seen throughout humanity, this can be related to motorsports as we all know that to compete you must have a strong well formed psychological background. Hopefully by addressing the main aspects which form personality and highlighting certain psychological perspectives the job of managing drivers can be made easier, this is because this knowledge can help a manager understand certain situations and asses thus predict to some degree how there drivers may react in certain situations.
    Once again thank you for your advice and I appreciate you valuable participation.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    Autocross would be what we'd call sprinting (autocross is another sport that is run on loose surfaces, usually in a field). .
    This is motorkhana (My car is the opening shot. 0:42. 0:51 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4AfdSnXk6s

Khanacross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecYW8tyB9YA

Autocross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BSf9oh5hUs

Couldn't find a good Super Sprints video.
    Last edited by journeyman racer; 31st March 2015 at 15:25.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    This is motorkhana (My car is the opening shot. 0:42. 0:51 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4AfdSnXk6s

Khanacross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecYW8tyB9YA

Autocross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BSf9oh5hUs

Couldn't find a good Super Sprints video.
    Interesting the different terminology for the same thing. Here in the states what you call Autocross we call RallyCross and our Autocross (also called Solo) is a run through a coned parking lot.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover