Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts

KCB Safari Rally 2015

This year's Safari Rally was announced yesterday at a press conference in Nairobi.

We will see if the changes they are proposing will affect the chances of a return to the WRC. I fear that the manufacturer teams will not be interested in servicing at the roadside instead of their workshops in a service area, but I am an optimist! It makes servicing a bit of a headache for us, as we had intended to service with Quentin Mitchell in his Fabia S2000, but this will be almost impossible with him running so far ahead of us on the road. We'll have to look at the logistics very closely!

Our entry has been submitted, and we are pretty much all set for another attempt, after our retirement last year. Geoff has been busy (watching someone else!) rebuilding, painting and rewiring the car since last year. He has also bought a supercharged engine for a bit more power! Unfortunately this means we don't get to compete in the 2WD class and are now in the SPV (Specially Prepared Vehicle) class. But we are out there aiming to have fun and entertain - and to try to raise awareness of the poaching problems Africa is facing.

I am sure to be more organised with the in-car camera and will get footage up when I return from the event.

You can read the preview at http://www.irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00008060&10 or on the iRally app. Geoff will be updating with progress throughout the rally. If I can then I'll try to post in here too.

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 213 Times in 107 Posts
    So finally Mitchell is back with the Fabia ? There's a great field of modern cars now in Kenya, with the 2 Fiesta R5, 2 Proton S2000, the Fabia of Mitchell and a Punto (modified by Llovera).

Disappointing that the race isn't anymore in ARC

Yes - it seems the FIA observers have it a poor report last time, and with the large expense of having them cisit, together with the ARC fees, they decided it just wasn't worth it. So I can see why they pulled out, for the few extra entries. It now gives them a bit more freedom as they want to be back in the WRC. Whether they will succeed is anyone's guess.....

There are a number of nice cars, but the problem is the reliability of the Protons, which is a crucial factor in African events. Especially the Safari. The sometimes long flat out sections see them give lots of time away to the Grp N Evos. My favourite stage from last year is back in (Lengetia) but it's only being used once (still trying to find out if it'll be used in the same direction - I hope so!). I took a page of my pace notes from that stage, it was basically "FR, 2000, cut FR into ML thru gate, ER 1000, MAX brow 500 MAX brow 500" and it was basically 4km flat out. Great fun (even in our slow car)

I meant to post also that Tapio Laukkanen won the first round of the Kenyan championship last month and has to be one of the favourites for victory again.

Will Tapio do the whole champ ? I see he took the kenyan license, so I suppose yes ...
    how does he arrive in Kenya ? By Tommi Mäkinen Racing ?

I'm not sure, think he might live over there these days. It is quite a popular country for people to retire to, with the favourable climate for those of us that don't like the cold

I will try to find out when I'm there and let you know.

We've been given special permission to do the recce on 1st & 2nd April, it is meant to be done the weekend of 28-29th March but I only fly out on the 31st!

Thx

Good luck for your Safari

7. Likes: J4MIE (19th March 2015)
    Quentin launched his effort earlier today, must say the car really does look stunning!

http://www.irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00008062&10

Me and Geoff also helped to secure a (very!) last minute co-driver for him, a young guy from the UK, Tom Woodburn. He sent me a speculative message on Monday asking if I knew if there was anyone looking for a co-driver,, now he's flying out there right now, just in time to start the recce on Friday! I'm not sure if he realises what he's let himself in for as he's never been out there before but is now one of the favourites to win it They will be starting second on the road.

Weather wise, it's apparently raining heavily on the stages around Mt Kenya at the moment..... I know mud is part of the challenge of the Safari but I hope it dries up over the next week.......

Geoff has had quite a few issues with the new engine, so it's been decided to put the old (non-supercharged) one back in, this puts us back in the 2WD class. It's a shame but we should still have more power than last year, when after the event it was discovered that two of the fuel injectors were blocked

I'm hearing from recce so far that there isn't much mud on the stages, so I'm really hoping it stays like that

Just on the plane now, all set for the off, I arrive in Nairobi late this evening then recce starts tomorrow. We'll see how the weather is.....

Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE View Post
    Just on the plane now, all set for the off, I arrive in Nairobi late this evening then recce starts tomorrow. We'll see how the weather is.....

Hope itīll be great adventure for both of you. Have a tremendous rally!!
    Once it popīs, you canīt stop...