Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: WRC Engines

Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    And further, the dyno numbers they get are abstract or idealt and only say how the engine works and nothing about how the car might go....I usually have to remind newbs that we don't drive flow benches or drive dynos, we drive whole CARS...

And in rally, especially on unpredictable surfaces...gravel and snow, it is how the whole car actually works which is the most interesting.....so things like gear ratios, final drive, suspension design and travel, brakes that play just as much roll as the engine in how the car does...
    That´s why I sometimes, while having passed the 50´s myself, thinking of what a good car, let´s say Opel Astra GSI with modest engine just maybe different exhaust adn camshafts, would perform having the best suspension and rollbar (bodyshell stifness) and how that should perform in local DM-rallies? Should I add, I often think rallying in winterconditions...
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    I presume you were getting heated because not many people would right so much because I said the word "sure" but if you were trying to help thank you just didn't see it as that at first. And yes I know the whole at package is the key to winning and no one is saying it's just an engine going down the stage. Also I know you drive full cars and I have driven a couple rally cars too just non competitively, but probably not a 1/30th of what you have driven though.

Yes I did donk the beginning of the forum but it's my first thread and forum.

Jon you are an expert by the sounds of it so my ears are open.

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    And jon I would classify myself as a semi noob. I know a bit but not enough