Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Liked 340 Times in 171 Posts

2. Likes: dimviii (25th March 2015),Mirek (25th March 2015),RS (25th March 2015)
    Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RICARDO75 View Post
    He's not hanging about!

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Lightbulb Google Maps

Hey folks,
    I added the maps of the Circuit of Ireland Rally 2015 to my website.
    Please NOTE that the route of the new stages are missing yet. But better than nothing, right?
    Along with the stage maps I added the usual 3D tour and elevation charts stuff.

Also worth to mention is that I've added a few onboard videos from last year and added GPS tracking functionality to them. That means that the current position of the car is displayed in the map while you are watching the video.

5. Likes: satnav (27th March 2015)
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RICARDO75 View Post
    Bernard Beguin won Corsica in 1987 with the Prodrive BMW M3, not the Renault 11 Turbo from Jean Ragnotti.
    Raggnoti was very fast with the R11 Turbo in Corsica. His great skill and knowledge of the rally, allied to 900 kg and 185cv of the Renault 11, gives a good power/ weight ratio. The M3 and Sierra had over 300 kg than the R11
    that's true, but isn't Ragnotti's car also fwd? it's unfair comparison if it is. I'm sure BMW & Sierra are RWD. but not sure for the other one
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
    It can not be true. Why would an M3 weigh 300 kg more than a R11 Turbo.
    Yes it was FWD.

Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    #M-SPORTER

This article on the R11T from 1987 is very enlightening, 'Braking and Entering' ... http://homepage.virgin.net/shalco.com/renault11.htm

"This light little Renault can trip tarmac lights at remarkable, if not staggering, rates. Believe this: the first special stage of the third leg of this year's Tour de Corse was exactly the same as previous years. It ran for 28.77km from Notre Dame de la Serra to Point Cinque Arcate. Last year Bruno Saby won the Tour de Corse in his tarmac , sorry, Corsica , specification Evo2 Peugeot 205 T16; a car at the pinnacle of turbocharged Group 8 mechanical magnificence. That year he was also fastest on the Notre Dame de la Serra to Point Cinque Arcate test.

Bruno Saby needed 17 minutes and 38 seconds to thrust his 4wd E2 T16 over this 28.77km test. This year Jeannot Ragnotti hurled his 1419cc, carburettor-and-tiny-turbo engined fwd Renault saloon car fastest over those 28.77km. It took him 18 minutes and eight seconds , a mere 30 seconds more than Saby's mega-tech 4wd supercar. How can this ageing rally hatch be so rapid?"

"We have low power, but a very good power band, a very close-ratio gearbox, and therefore low top speed, so the car's acceleration is quite good, but even so, its standing 1/4-mile time is hardly faster than a standard Peugeot 205GTI 1.9: our Group A R11 Turbo does the standing 400m in 14.90 seconds, the new 1.9 GTI does it in 15.05s. So to be competitive we have to make the car as light as possible with as high a cornering speed as we can get."

"A component part of cornering is braking: the more efficient and stable a car's retardation, the quicker will be its elapsed time through a corner. And it's a complete understatement to say that there are many corners in Corsica. The multitude of twists, turns and gradients on the roads of this island make a car's braking performance critical to its Tour de Corse competitiveness."
    Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 25th March 2015 at 22:42.
    #M-SPORTER

Back to the CoI and the speeds of the ERC cars vs WRC Nationals... in 2014 the National WRC drivers beat the ERC drivers on the longest stage of the rally (SS12 / 17, which was 29.02Km) ...
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    So why are the WRC cars slower than the R5's when their drivers know their cars and roads far better than the ERC guys like Lappi last year ? Also, Breen & Abbring's new R5 was more powerful than the Skoda but the S2000 was faster due to its greatly more developed chassis..

Are you just saying that the Irish WRC drivers are that slow despite their greater power and active diffs etc ?

BTW, I have been following the Irish Tarmac championship for many years and have heard the discussion on why certain cars are faster others on these events many, many times. You dont have the monopoly on knowledge.

Regarding power vs chassis, I know from personal experience that a well set-up lower-powered car can easily be faster than a more powerful one with a poor chassis, out on the country lanes.
    If you have been following the Irish Tarmac Championship then you will know that the Circuit of '12 and '14 were both run on roads that hadn't been rallied for some time. Mirek has covered well the reasons why the difference in pace between ERC regluars and Irish Tar front runners.

NOT, your comment regarding your percieved idea of what an top Irish rally driver is like is so wide of the mark that its actually funny, it matters none to me personally, but seriously, you pretend to me Mr Clued in and intelligent and often I do not have 1st hand knowledge to know different, but now as so often when I do know the real picture I find that you are just what the Irish might call a 'gobshite' You are all shout and very little knowledge to back it up.

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    This article on the R11T from 1987 is very enlightening, 'Braking and Entering' ... http://homepage.virgin.net/shalco.com/renault11.htm

"This light little Renault can trip tarmac lights at remarkable, if not staggering, rates. Believe this: the first special stage of the third leg of this year's Tour de Corse was exactly the same as previous years. It ran for 28.77km from Notre Dame de la Serra to Point Cinque Arcate. Last year Bruno Saby won the Tour de Corse in his tarmac , sorry, Corsica , specification Evo2 Peugeot 205 T16; a car at the pinnacle of turbocharged Group 8 mechanical magnificence. That year he was also fastest on the Notre Dame de la Serra to Point Cinque Arcate test.

Bruno Saby needed 17 minutes and 38 seconds to thrust his 4wd E2 T16 over this 28.77km test. This year Jeannot Ragnotti hurled his 1419cc, carburettor-and-tiny-turbo engined fwd Renault saloon car fastest over those 28.77km. It took him 18 minutes and eight seconds , a mere 30 seconds more than Saby's mega-tech 4wd supercar. How can this ageing rally hatch be so rapid?"

"We have low power, but a very good power band, a very close-ratio gearbox, and therefore low top speed, so the car's acceleration is quite good, but even so, its standing 1/4-mile time is hardly faster than a standard Peugeot 205GTI 1.9: our Group A R11 Turbo does the standing 400m in 14.90 seconds, the new 1.9 GTI does it in 15.05s. So to be competitive we have to make the car as light as possible with as high a cornering speed as we can get."

"A component part of cornering is braking: the more efficient and stable a car's retardation, the quicker will be its elapsed time through a corner. And it's a complete understatement to say that there are many corners in Corsica. The multitude of twists, turns and gradients on the roads of this island make a car's braking performance critical to its Tour de Corse competitiveness."
    If You really want something impressive on twisty tarmac stages, should take for example FWD kit-cars from early 00's. Now that was something....
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

13. Likes: RICARDO75 (26th March 2015)