Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: V6 Or V8

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts

V6 Or V8

The Dwarf now says that F1 should go back to V8 engines,as the V6 engines are costing the teams too much money . Thought the idea of the V6 turbo engines was a cost savings exercise ?Why the change of heart ? Is it because only one engine supplier has managed to produce a good reliable engine or are there ulterior motive behind his plans

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    But they've spent that money creating and developing the new engines, the only way to make that situation better is to use them for a period of time. The new engines are an absolute marvel of engineering and so much more fuel efficient than the old V8's, they could go back, but would they want all the ERS and associated gubbins, which cost a fortune and would need to be adapted for the V8 non-turbos
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

3. Likes: A FONDO (19th December 2014),Firstgear (19th December 2014)
    Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    Plus the technologies are so much more relevant and the manufacturers wanted them. No way they'll go backwards now
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Why the change of heart?
    It is because only one engine supplier has managed to produce a good reliable engine. The Dwarf's whinge is a commercial one based on the spectacle and the show of the business, nothing more and nothing less. I honestly don't think he gives a rip about the technical arguments or merits either way.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    Could someone PM me when Bernie is dead? Thanks in advance!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Imagine the longest wettest smelliest fart you have ever heard.

Bag it up and sink it into a tank full of month old cow excretions. Stir vigorously.

Throw in a match and allow the bubbling morass of discharge to permeate through a series of rubber bladders.

The sound of those rubber bladders is the sound that the V6 F1 cars make and why Bernie wants to go back to the V8 screamers.

Cost may be a factor but methinks its the disastrous sounds that emanate from the V6's and the repulsed fan base that has been created.

You'll only ever win them back with a V8.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzars View Post
    Cost may be a factor but methinks its the disastrous sounds that emanate from the V6's and the repulsed fan base that has been created.
    I remember four-pots and V6's in the days of the McLaren TAG-Porsche, Benetton Ford, Lotus Honda and Williams Honda and they sounded fine.

V6's aren't necessarily the cause of the sounds.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Bernie hasn't said he wants to go back because of the sound - at least not in the article I read : http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12...irated-engines it's about costs and ability of the competition to keep up.

Now I've said in the past that, the noise doesn't matter one bit, who cares about the noise they make as long as the racing is good? Right? No! I was completely wrong, the engine sound does matter, it matters a lot.

I remember many years after a long off season and tuning in to watch qualifying and hearing those engine noises for the first time in months and being blown away. That doesn't happen any more.

Listen to the Ferrari's here and tell me that isn't pure art https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqaJKTRs-Kg
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

10. Likes: Tazio (19th December 2014)
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    V6 or V8? Simple answer - yes. Or indeed four-cylinder, or V10, or V5 or whatever you want. That was the only disappointing thing for me about these new regulations: everyone's forced down the same route again when there was an opportunity for some WEC-like variation.
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    The turbo engines make great torque, but the packaging is lacking. Many teams struggle to fix things that were much quicker in the V8 days.

The money has already been spent now, so it would be stupid to get rid of them quickly. If Bernie was really worried about cost savings, he should have just suggested minor changes to the long tested reliable V8s that the teams were using. More change = more money... AGAIN!