Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts

McLaren drivers annouced: Alonso and Button

McLaren will finally announce their driver line-up at a press conference tomorrow:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30417196
    Has anyone seen a time for this press conference? I couldn't find anything on the McLaren web site. They might cover it on Sky Sports News.

I saw K-Mag in a curry house in Woking at the weekend, but his demeanour was not giving anything away

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    It's time for some sig betting wagers to hit the forum before this happens! It seems as though many are sure that it's Alonso, while others are sure it's not. I'm not sure what to expect myself, but that might not keep me from a friendly sig bet anyway.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    The King of Spain confirmed Alonso had told him he was going to McLaren so I don't think there will be any surprises there.

I would rather see Kevin retained because he is young and deserves a shot. Button has had his time and has been very successfull, but I do hope he is able to secure a top drive in another form of motorsport. I think the way McLaren have kept these guys waiting is absolutely appalling and if this means JB has missed out elsewhere, then I hope he has his day in court with them.

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    I think it depends just how much potential they see in Magnussen, if it was not enough then I think they'll give Button one more year before trying Vandoorne in 2016.

Button would be a good marketing fit with Honda, what with him being an old man.

5. Likes: AndyL (10th December 2014),Rollo (11th December 2014)
    Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    The King of Spain confirmed Alonso had told him he was going to McLaren so I don't think there will be any surprises there.
    What does Ashley Giles know that we don't, and when did he and Fred get so chummy

May the forza be with you

7. Likes: Rollo (11th December 2014)
    Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    This just in: McLaren will announce their drivers after the first of the year.

Just kidding.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Alonso is a definite, of that there is no question. The second seat depends on how McLaren view Stofel vanDoorne. If they are sure he is going to be a race drive in 2016, they might just give JB a final fling. If they are unsure about SvD then Mag's future potential might win him the seat. The worst thing McLaren could do is be sure of SvD in2016, give the second chair to Mag and have him equal Alonso's performance, then have to replace him with SvD in '16.

Having said all of that, they delay, in my mind hints that JB is out. The reason I say this is because in the past when McLaren have axed a driver, they have often tried to do it early and asist the departing driver into another team (Perez). So if Mag was to be cut at this late stage McLaren are giving him no options to find a drive in '15. In Button's case he has already hinted that he will go to sports car racing if McLaren don't re sign him.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    Having said all of that, they delay, in my mind hints that JB is out. The reason I say this is because in the past when McLaren have axed a driver, they have often tried to do it early and asist the departing driver into another team (Perez). So if Mag was to be cut at this late stage McLaren are giving him no options to find a drive in '15.
    I don't know if Magnussen would need options - I think if he doesn't get the race seat they'll keep him on as test/reserve driver.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    I thought the choice was a political one, not to do with their particular skills and experience which are no different to what they were mid-season. IIRC Dennis wants Magnussen but may not get his way if he doesn't pull off his share buyout and is also trying to get Danish companies to put together a nice sponsorship package for him. Button is the board's preferred option as a safe experienced pair of hands but clearly if Dennis gets his way will be overruled. I'm surprised that a decision will be made so soon after the last board meeting a week ago failed to reach a conclusion.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    I don't know if Magnussen would need options - I think if he doesn't get the race seat they'll keep him on as test/reserve driver.
    True but I thought McLaren would use vanDoorne as their test driver next season to prepare him for a race seat in'16