Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    Nobody seems to know exactly what happened because of conflicting eye witness accounts. But as far as the riots are concerned, I think a few things need to be considered:

- this happened in an area with a predominately black population.
    - the panel/jury making the decision whether to charge the cop or not was made up of 9 white & 3 black members.
    - the panel did not have to be unanimous in its decision, only needed a majority of 9 members (and votes are kept secret).

If this panel was made up to be more representative of the population (or have to be unanimous), and the same conclusion was reached it would be difficult to call it a race issue.

As it stands, with 9 votes needed and 9 whites in the panel, it's easy to turn it into a race issue - resulting in riots.
    I'm no legal expert here but would the jury members not have to have been screened and approved by both the prosecution and defense?
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke View Post
    O.k., I'll chime in...

My understanding, from what I’ve read in the media, is that Michael Brown did rob the store, rough up the clerk and walk out with a box of cigars. Witnesses also confirm that he did physically accost the policeman (Wilson?) in his patrol car.

Michael Brown did not deserve to die but is certainly no model citizen. The black activists are making him seem as an innocent victim but the recent “support for Michael Brown” movements do not sit well with me personally. I will certainly support equal rights for all, but cannot support the use of the death of an individual like Michael brown in this cause. I realize this may sound insensitive, but I feel the recent violent demonstrations by black activists are backfiring and perpetuating the racial rifts in America.

Btw, two final points:
    1. I have read and heard, again as reported through the media, interviews and accounts by numerous witnesses but have not yet heard anyone interview the store owner.
    2. Why is this thread titled “…failure to indict the police officer…”? Why is it a failure? Many would say that the justice system performed the way it was intended and that is a success.
    The use of the word "Failure" is commonly used by the media and the legal profession. I do understand your reason for asking this but the fact that this is not a procedure whereby there only happens to be a majority vote to either indict or one that seems to exonerate the person under indictment.

Maybe the word should have been "Declined".

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    I'm no legal expert here but would the jury members not have to have been screened and approved by both the prosecution and defense?
    I can't answer that, but the way it played out leaves the perception of racism.
    Also, if they're randomly selected/screened, how do they end up with a jury of 75% whites, when the population in the area is 90% black?

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    2. Why is this thread titled “…failure to indict the police officer…”? Why is it a failure? Many would say that the justice system performed the way it was intended and that is a success.
    I can't speak for the way that the mechanics of the justice system works but if this happened in New South Wales where I live and the NSW Police Prosecutors didn't think that a change was answerable, when one of their own has killed someone, immediately you begin to question the integrity of the service.
    The fact that this was before a grand jury, wallpapers over that quite nicely.

Irrespective whether or not this case is racially charged, immediately there are serious questions to do with police integrity.
    This family should sue for negligence resulting in death. If a criminal case can not be laid, then a civil one must.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I heard his account on the radio last night. From his testimony at least it would appear that he acted properly, but of course that's only one side of the story.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    This family should sue for negligence resulting in death. If a criminal case can not be laid, then a civil one must.
    That's probably what will happen and is very common in brutality/death cases against authorities. While no one is held criminally responsible there is eventually a suit that will pay off the family. It's complex, mainly benefits lawyers and is a nasty example of having multiple levels of justice that have separate criteria. But that's how things have evolved as it's so difficult to get criminal convictions against companies, the wealthy and government agencies.

How many remember this case? Days after the shooting of Michael Brown, in a very similar incident, Dillon Taylor, an unarmed white/Hispanic 20 year old is mistakenly shot by a black police officer in Utah.

Media attention? Perhaps a second-page byline in the newspapers.
    No riots.
    No grand jury investigation.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-of-/?page=all

Meanwhile in Ferguson there are now suggestions for the Brown family to be held accountable for the destruction caused by the riots.

http://news.yahoo.com/michael-brown-...182317962.html

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    I don't know much about this as our news isn't covering it in any great detail. I understand what happened and it's surprising the copper got off with. The chap had previous convictions but that is no reason to shoot the fella. Then again my knowledge is vague and this just seems like any other shooting over there.

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    It shouldn't be the officer who is indicted, it should be the system that arms all officers (which is what the parents of the 'victim' came out and said this morning)
    And how exactly would you "indict the system"?
    Llibertat