Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Prost won the WDC in 1989 despite being slower than Senna that year and had a controversial collision at Suzuka.

In short - I don't have a problem with Rosberg winning the title. Sometimes having slower drivers winning is part of the game - "that's racing". And this is what makes this sport interesting - underdogs can succeed as well in the 'right circumstances'.

2. Likes: Tazio (21st November 2014)
    Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    I respect your view Jens since you're about the most reasonable poster here.

Yeah if Nico wins, he hasn't exactly been poor and has probably shown enough to deserve a WDC at some point in his life.
    If he can beat Lewis this weekend, cleanly, it will help give a Nico title some credibility.

However to counter some people's opinions that I'd be a sore loser, since 1997 more often than not the guy who I wanted to win the title didn't, but I have never begrudged the guy who did win. We all congratulated Vettel last year too. Yet unfortunately, a Rosberg title due to double points would not make me feel good. I won't be unsporting, but it would go down the least well of all 18 titles (19 if you include the 1994 finale) that I've witnessed.

I think the strangest bit would be all the people crowing that this proves that Rosberg is better than Hamilton. I don't think this is the case. I will just see the funny side of it however and react the way Jenson did in that press conference.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzars View Post
    I chuckled remembering the kitty litter days and how easily an F1 car became a beached whale - how frantically a driver would try to keep forward movement going once he was in the mire - and then the inevitable stop but keep spinning the wheels with head in hands.

That level of despair is very close to what we need to simulate today.
    That's some dystopian outlook, d' ya wanna talk about it?

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Firetruck! I'm out of Firetruckin' beer!

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty View Post
    I respect your view Jens since you're about the most reasonable poster here.

Yeah if Nico wins, he hasn't exactly been poor and has probably shown enough to deserve a WDC at some point in his life.
    If he can beat Lewis this weekend, cleanly, it will help give a Nico title some credibility.

However to counter some people's opinions that I'd be a sore loser, since 1997 more often than not the guy who I wanted to win the title didn't, but I have never begrudged the guy who did win. We all congratulated Vettel last year too. Yet unfortunately, a Rosberg title due to double points would not make me feel good. I won't be unsporting, but it would go down the least well of all 18 titles (19 if you include the 1994 finale) that I've witnessed.

I think the strangest bit would be all the people crowing that this proves that Rosberg is better than Hamilton. I don't think this is the case. I will just see the funny side of it however and react the way Jenson did in that press conference.
    Thanks, mate.

Rosberg has been impressively good in qualifyings, but his race performances have been slightly disappointing. He can usually keep up for half a race before Hamilton's charge inevitable beings... Or conversely Rosberg's "freshness" during the course of the race disappears. Whatever it is, Rosberg isn't far off Hamilton, but just hasn't got the final edge during the second half of Grands Prix to pull off wins.

I think Hamilton is good (great) enough to be a multiple WDC, so looking forward to add more titles to his tally. But Rosberg would also not be a bad inclusion to the WDC winners' list. I think Rosberg is better than someone, say, Irvine would have been. And I was cheering for Irvine in 1999! Often I like underdog winners.

I also hope Ricciardo can get a title shot one day and perhaps win too, but with the engine freeze and Mercedes major advantage I fear he may not get a chance soon...

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    Thanks, mate.

Rosberg has been impressively good in qualifyings, but his race performances have been slightly disappointing.
    Despite outward appearances, I actually feel Hamilton has been far more impressive this year than in 2013 compared to Rosberg. In 2013 they were fairly equal with Hamilton having just a small edge overall, and many weekends where Rosberg was just quicker.

Rosberg has done well in qualifying. However, I feel on pure pace, Hamilton has been ahead much more clearly than last year. Actually, I think every time Hamilton has been behind, it has almost never been down to a lack of pure pace. However, it gets tricky when you consider it is Hamilton's job to not only have the pace but to make it count, and sometimes it has been his fault for not always stringing a lap together. As an example I think Hamilton had a slight edge in Austria but he blew his lap all by himself, so maybe that qualifying should fairly be given to Rosberg after all, since making your lap count is part of the job.

I think Rosberg is better than someone, say, Irvine would have been. And I was cheering for Irvine in 1999! Often I like underdog winners.
    This helps me see where you are coming from! I get it now. Oh yeah I was cheering big-time for Irvine in '99! Though he always pretended not to car much, I think that title would have been a huge deal for him indeed. Maybe we could have seen tears from him.

I also hope Ricciardo can get a title shot one day and perhaps win too, but with the engine freeze and Mercedes major advantage I fear he may not get a chance soon...
    Hmmm I'm not sure how the engine freeze works. I'm sure Renault are able to make some improvements and close the gap at least between seasons, just not by huge amounts.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

8. Likes: jens (21st November 2014)
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    Thanks, mate.

Rosberg has been impressively good in qualifyings, but his race performances have been slightly disappointing. He can usually keep up for half a race before Hamilton's charge inevitable beings... Or conversely Rosberg's "freshness" during the course of the race disappears. Whatever it is, Rosberg isn't far off Hamilton, but just hasn't got the final edge during the second half of Grands Prix to pull off wins.

I think Hamilton is good (great) enough to be a multiple WDC, so looking forward to add more titles to his tally. But Rosberg would also not be a bad inclusion to the WDC winners' list. I think Rosberg is better than someone, say, Irvine would have been. And I was cheering for Irvine in 1999! Often I like underdog winners.

All points I agree with.

Regarding the race pace during the later part of the race, I've been wondering if Nico fades of if Lewis really drives better later in the race. It could be something as simple as setup differences, but it seems that as the laps wind down Lewis gains the pace advantage most of the time.

As for Nico, I was one of the people that under rated him when he was driving with Schumacher and the car was still a big variable in most peoples eyes. I've admitted that fault and grown to accept him as a very solid driver. Like many I'd have no problem with him winning the WDC, but would hate for it to happen due to the double points thing. I think it would tarnish his first title for many, and he didn't make the stupid double points rule.

Ricciardo has been one of the cleanest driving young guns in F1 recently. Anyone that can out drive Vettel is no slouch, and much like Vettel they both tend to stay out of trouble and drama most of the time.

10. Likes: jens (21st November 2014)
    Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    All points I agree with.

Regarding the race pace during the later part of the race, I've been wondering if Nico fades of if Lewis really drives better later in the race. It could be something as simple as setup differences, but it seems that as the laps wind down Lewis gains the pace advantage most of the time.
    It may possibly be a factor that Lewis is more economical with fuel, and can crank it up a little more in the latter laps.
    May the forza be with you

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty View Post
    Check out the priceless reaction of Jenson as Rosberg suggests Hamilton might resort to dirty tricks i.e. Cheating!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30134015

This may only be available to us UK people I´m afraid........
    I think it's a little rich of Rosberg to suggest that someone else might pull a dirty trick.

The article says video is only available in UK, but here's the still...................

Last edited by Doc Austin; 21st November 2014 at 18:13.

13. Likes: airshifter (21st November 2014)
    Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts

Through the miracle og google.............

Utube version.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s372iZKMdAU

15. Likes: airshifter (22nd November 2014),kfzmeister (22nd November 2014)