Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    So basically Hamilton might win 11 races in the season and still lose the title to a 5 time winner due to the double point fiasco?
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    So basically Hamilton might win 11 races in the season and still lose the title to a 5 time winner due to the double point fiasco?
    Yes.

I can't quite work out how Rosberg is so close. I mean mostly they finish 1-2 to each other. I guess that one extra DNF is costing Lewis
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSon View Post
    I agree.
    And yet, Hamilton owes his only WDC to it. Massa would have won on the 1991-2002 system.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Yes.

I can't quite work out how Rosberg is so close. I mean mostly they finish 1-2 to each other. I guess that one extra DNF is costing Lewis
    Well, we saw that after the initial first 5 races.
    Hamilton's run of results was: DNF 1 1 1 1, while Rosberg's 1 2 2 2 2, yet Hamilton was leading the championship by mere 3 points. So if you are able to finish directly behind your rival consistently, it takes time for him to build a gap.

After the Spanish GP both have had two more DNFs and there have been races, where Rosberg finished ahead of Hamilton (particularly in mid-season), so you can see, why this points gap isn't particularly big at the moment.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Updated

Hamilton 316 v Rosberg 292

Hamilton 128 v Rosberg 125

Hamilton 120 v Rosberg 103
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    Well, we saw that after the initial first 5 races.
    Hamilton's run of results was: DNF 1 1 1 1, while Rosberg's 1 2 2 2 2, yet Hamilton was leading the championship by mere 3 points. So if you are able to finish directly behind your rival consistently, it takes time for him to build a gap.

After the Spanish GP both have had two more DNFs and there have been races, where Rosberg finished ahead of Hamilton (particularly in mid-season), so you can see, why this points gap isn't particularly big at the moment.
    Yeah well those qualifying incidents really cost Hamilton mid season and he cost himself 7 points by messing up in qualifying in Austria. He also has an extra DNF from Spa courtesy of Nico cheato!

It would take 8 X 1-2 extra finishes in Hamilton's favor for him to build out a 56 points gap enough to have the 51 points cushion required for Rosberg to have absolutely no possibility of winning the championship in Abu Dhabi. That's nearly half a seasons work that can be overturned in one race DNF which just shows how utterly ridiculous the current points system is!
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 3rd November 2014 at 22:45.

7. Likes: rjbetty (3rd November 2014)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Yes.

Going on from a similar question on the USGP thread. 10 wins would suggest complete domination of the opposition (like Vettel in 11, and the second half of 13). But this year, Hamilton has only edged out Rosberg, often. The points might be closer than the results suggest. But the win tally also exaggerates Hamilton's performance to Rosberg.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    Going on from a similar question on the USGP thread. 10 wins would suggest complete domination of the opposition (like Vettel in 11, and the second half of 13). But this year, Hamilton has only edged out Rosberg, often. The points might be closer than the results suggest. But the win tally also exaggerates Hamilton's performance to Rosberg.
    When you have two drivers of Hamilton and Rosberg's level where they can see each other's data that's all it will ever be - edging out! The edging out is the difference between a WDC and not.

This title fight reminds me a lot of the fights Rossi and Lorenzo had in moto GP many years ago. Lorenzo being on a very similar level to Rossi but just not quite as good. I do believe Nico deserves a championship at some point. He's definitely better than other drivers that have won the WDC but he needs to do it the right way and not by just coming second the whole time and getting lucky in the end. If I were him I certainly wouldn't want to win the WDC that way knowing that I was beaten by my teammate throughout the year.

10. Likes: rjbetty (3rd November 2014)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    When you haven't won, validity matters little. It's more important to "cross the line" of achieving the milestone. You can then worry about validating your ability/status later.

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    When I saw the title was "pointless title fight," I thought this would be about Lewis and Nico.