Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    With the loss of Vettel (and Newey, somewhat), does anyone think this might prompt RBR to make a meaningful investment in the Renault engine works? No doubt, young Ricciardo is currently getting the job done. But I think Red Bull had hopes that Vettel would be around to help them storm back to the front for the Constructors for years to come.

Thoughts?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    With the loss of Vettel (and Newey, somewhat), does anyone think this might prompt RBR to make a meaningful investment in the Renault engine works? No doubt, young Ricciardo is currently getting the job done. But I think Red Bull had hopes that Vettel would be around to help them storm back to the front for the Constructors for years to come.

Thoughts?
    I think that this year RBR have found that their 4XWDC is a pretty average driver and that it's in better drivers they need to invest in for immediate performance updates rather than the Renault engine.

In truth, I don't think they will miss Vettel single one bit and I think you'll find that Ricciardo is more than capable of leading them back to the top along with Kvyat. They may have to invest in the engine to achieve this though but that decision will have nothing to do with Vettel leaving.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I think that this year RBR have found that their 4XWDC is a pretty average driver and that it's in better drivers they need to invest in for immediate performance updates rather than the Renault engine.

In truth, I don't think they will miss Vettel single one bit and I think you'll find that Ricciardo is more than capable of leading them back to the top along with Kvyat. They may have to invest in the engine to achieve this though but that decision will have nothing to do with Vettel leaving.
    I am not hugely conviced that Vettel is in the absolute top tier of drivers, but he is certainly better than pretty average. His driving style perfectly suited the old cars with the exhaust blown diffusers etc, he hasn't been able to adapt to the new demands as might have been expected. Credit must go to Ricciardo for out-perfoming him, not the other way round.

Looking at the RBR chassis, it seems to be excellent, meaning that the REnault engine has been woeful. If Renault can up their game and get to within 10 hp behing Mercedes, Ricciardo and maybe Kvyatt will be able to challenge. Newey is standing aside but you can bet he will have input into the new car and he will have ensured his successor is well schooled in the Newey design philosophy.

4. Likes: kfzmeister (22nd October 2014),rjbetty (22nd October 2014)
    Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_bytedisaster View Post
    Honda is weeks behind schedule in their development, just like Renault was last year. I wouldn't hold my breath
    I can't imagine that. Do you have a source? I thought that i read that their engine is already running. Surely, that means they're bench testing it already. My money says that they will have a good engine from the start. They are not new to this and surely have toyed with the concept for some time. I know the engines differ in design, but Honda has been supplying Indycar with V6 Turbos for some time now....
    Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post

Thoughts?
    It may be in the cards. With Newey stepping back, the aero package could fail to evolve, and right now that is where they seem to have the only advantage. Without more power, there are many tracks where they really have no chance of making it to the podium. I think the good finishes we have seen are much more a result of the handling and aero, and the drivers are working hard for them.

Being that neither driver can get the RB to the top of the field, I think they almost have to find more power. But I don't know that the loss of Vettel will really impact that any more than if he had stayed.

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    I think Honda will be on the pace ,from strait out of the box .
    Is there a chance that Neway goes off to Ferrari too to help Vettel ?
    I also feel Vettel may struggle at Marrinello ,with the red car too .And Alonso ? Well if I was getting 35 mill a year then Mac looks tempting ,and Honda have the advantage of designing their engine with the turbo placed like Mercs away from the heat.All will be revealed at winter testing in Spain

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister View Post
    I can't imagine that. Do you have a source?
    Probably the same "insider" types who were supposedly claiming that Mercedes sabotaged heir own car in Singapore.

I thought that i read that their engine is already running.
    I searched for the link and can't find it, but I read on MS.com that Ron Dennis says the motor is on schedule, performing up to expectations and is "a jewel." We have no way of knowing if that's true, but that's what he said.

My money says that they will have a good engine from the start. They are not new to this and surely have toyed with the concept for some time.
    My guess is that they wanted to wait a year and see what they others could come up with. I certainly don't expect them to copy the Renault, but you can bet McLaren took pictures of their Mercedes engine from every angle possible. You know Honda has seen those.