Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

So what is the future of Formula E

So I was talking to a couple of people recently and I was trying to work out what the longer term future is of Formula E.

If Electric cars are the future, then how will Formula E and Formula 1 co exist?

I mean at the moment Formula E is brand new, and has some decent drivers albeit an aged and second string but also has some issues to overcome.

So as Formula E grows how does it gain reputation and bring in top current drivers?

Also with Formula 1 likely to head down this route one day as technology improves, does F1 replace Formula E when it becomes electric or do they end up side by side as two electric Formula's and compete for the top drivers.

Or even does Formula E replace F1?

So many questions. I thought it might be interesting to think about.

Will F1 crush Formula E or will Formula E leave F1 behind

What sat you lot
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I have always viewed it as being the test bed and development series for F1. So I would imagine eventually once the technology has come on far enough that F1 would adopt it and Formula E would cease.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have always viewed it as being the test bed and development series for F1. So I would imagine eventually once the technology has come on far enough that F1 would adopt it and Formula E would cease.
    Hmm, pretty interesting views. Could be the case.

I think first of all Formula E has to build its up in its current form and prove it is actually a sustainable series unlike A1GP, SuperLeague or whatever we have had in the past.

The cars are way slow at the moment, but once they get faster, F1 will gradually start taking more and more notice. Will they merge one day? Or will Formula E become sort of what GP2 currently is? So it means merging/replacing GP2. Although it is interesting that GP2 is viewed as "driver development series", while FE is "technology development series", maybe one day they can be the same.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    That's a decent perspective. Perhaps it can be more than just a development formula with both up and coming drivers and ex F1 drivers.

Certainly F1 has already taken the first steps with hybrid electric technology and FE can feed into that. It's feasible that eventually F1 batteries will become rechargeable and depend on the petrol engine gradually less until it becomes an advantage to dispense with it entirely.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    I think that at some point down the line the technology will be so advanced that we'll have a series that we would recognise as F1 which is all electric. I can't quite see the idea of a new series like Formula E surpassing what we've got at the minute, a championship that has evolved over 60 years.

I think that we all have to accept that, at some point in the future, motorsport as we know it will cease to exist. There's no way that we can continue with the oil based sport that we've got at the minute.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    I have always viewed it as being the test bed and development series for F1.
    Dunno about it being specifically for F1. But having spoke to a guy who is part of a F1 radio show here, it is a test bed and development series.

So I would imagine eventually once the technology has come on far enough that F1 would adopt it and Formula E would cease.
    Sounds logical.

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    The cars ran reliably and raced well, so the series is off to a good start.

They need to find a way to get a longer run time or recharge faster because the whole car swapping thing is really dumb. Swapping cars only serves to highlight how limited the technology is right now.

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    Of course it is limited, as every new technology that is not in mass production yet. Nobody said it will kill F1 in the next two months.

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    There maybe a financial rationalisation in the future. Formula 1 and a support GP class. The GP class made up of 'Formula E, GP2, GP3' so only one chassis is required and perhaps an upper & lower grade for 2 support races, so the fast young racers get matched against each other in similar machinery allowing F1 teams to identify the better drivers.

As battery swapping technology gets better, we might see a battery pack swap for Formula E like a nascar/ le mans refueling stop. Tesla has already shown a demo of a battery swap quicker than a service station liquid refuel stop.
    http://youtu.be/FE81S26XG8c (starts at one minute) Imagine the pit crewman halfway along the formula e car with a super dense battery on a flat jack swapping or adding another battery at the current F1 pit stop speed.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    I hope it survives .
    It makes me wonder , though , when decisions like having a car swap aren't pooh poohed right off the top .
    That's wonder if it isn't supposed to make electric cars look bad from the get go .

Add to that this loooooong break between first and second outings .
    That's enough to make me wonder what the hell they are doing all on it's own .

But , if they have the same enthusiasm after a few more races , and they produce a good race , itself , then it could become a test bed for the future of F1 .
    Nice to see that vid from Tesla , Zeakiwi , as it certainly shows that a battery swap could be done easily , and the application of serious money involved in the series might have the change done in a few seconds if they wanted , just like the battery change for my Black and Decker cordless drill .

If they shift to something along these lines , then it all has a chance .
    If not , I'm afraid I might be left wondering about who is pulling strings to make something that looks obvious , look unattainable .

11. Likes: steveaki13 (21st October 2014)