Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2015 Schedule - A few random thoughts

By now I would think that everyone has seen the 2015 schedule. Just a few thoughts I had:

Atlanta - First race after Daytona. Will it benefit from being the first race after the biggest race of the year and all of the hype, or will it suffer from cold weather keeping fans away? One good thing, there will be the first (that I know of) Nationwide-Truck Series double-header on the Saturday before the Cup race.

Western Swing - The result of the Phoenix, Las Vegas, and California races on three consecutive weekends. Save the teams money not having to go back and forth across the country, or will it hurt the gate at one or more of the tracks?

Bristol - First race moved from March to April. Has to be a benefit from better weather.

Southern 500 back at Darlington - Great Move. NASCAR listened to the fans. I just hope the fans calling for the Southern 500 to return to Darlington on Labor Day weekend aren't the same NATO (No Action, Talk Only) loudmouths who called for NASCAR to return to Rockingham and then never attended the races there. If the stands aren't full at Darlington . . . . .

The late summer "off weekend" on the August 30th weekend - Will that break the excitement and momentum of determining the field for "The Chase"? Wouldn't the "off weekend" be better after the chase field is determined and before the first Chase race to give NASCAR some extra time to hype the chase?

Dover's September race - I'd love to see this race replaced with a race at the new road course near Austin Texas. I know it ain't gonna happen, but I can dream, can't I? I went to the fall Dover race last year, and I must admit I've seen more excitement watching Glidden dry.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
    By now I would think that everyone has seen the 2015 schedule. Just a few thoughts I had:

Atlanta - First race after Daytona. Will it benefit from being the first race after the biggest race of the year and all of the hype, or will it suffer from cold weather keeping fans away? One good thing, there will be the first (that I know of) Nationwide-Truck Series double-header on the Saturday before the Cup race.

Western Swing - The result of the Phoenix, Las Vegas, and California races on three consecutive weekends. Save the teams money not having to go back and forth across the country, or will it hurt the gate at one or more of the tracks?

Bristol - First race moved from March to April. Has to be a benefit from better weather.

Southern 500 back at Darlington - Great Move. NASCAR listened to the fans. I just hope the fans calling for the Southern 500 to return to Darlington on Labor Day weekend aren't the same NATO (No Action, Talk Only) loudmouths who called for NASCAR to return to Rockingham and then never attended the races there. If the stands aren't full at Darlington . . . . .

The late summer "off weekend" on the August 30th weekend - Will that break the excitement and momentum of determining the field for "The Chase"? Wouldn't the "off weekend" be better after the chase field is determined and before the first Chase race to give NASCAR some extra time to hype the chase?

Dover's September race - I'd love to see this race replaced with a race at the new road course near Austin Texas. I know it ain't gonna happen, but I can dream, can't I? I went to the fall Dover race last year, and I must admit I've seen more excitement watching Glidden dry.
    Interesting. Well, Atlanta has not ever really had good weather, regardless of when it was run. It is now back, pretty close to the former regular spring date. They will get rain, or they won't, just like always, in Atlanta.

Bristol should be a good move. A bit less likely for rain at this date, in Thunder Valley, than the present date.

Agreed, Moving the Southern 500 back to it's original and rightful place on the schedule is a good move! It should have not ever been moved to start with!

I'll disagree with you on Dover. I say move one of it's races to Rockingham. People say, well NASCAR went back there and no one showed up. Well, duh, it was only a Truck Series race. Had they given Rockingham a Cup date back, they would have had a good crowd show up!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
    I'll disagree with you on Dover. I say move one of it's races to Rockingham. People say, well NASCAR went back there and no one showed up. Well, duh, it was only a Truck Series race. Had they given Rockingham a Cup date back, they would have had a good crowd show up!
    One of the main reasons that Cup left Rockingham is that some of the smallest stands on the series looked only half full. Same with the Southern 500 at Darlington on Labor Day weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
    Well, duh, it was only a Truck Series race.
    Poor excuse for failure to show up.