Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mads Ostberg

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mousti View Post
    Not that he is a contender in WRC. But Maurin improved a lot since he drives with Klinger.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk
    When you are not fast enough it is easy to improve your pace, but when you are relatively close to the top for so long like Ostberg most of the times it is because you reached your potential.

Liked 149 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    In a previous era, without pace-notes, driving sideways was the safest way to get around corners – not knowing how much a corner tightened.
    Now with pace-notes, and stages repeated year on year – this shouldn’t happen. As already said; maybe Mads needs to rethink his pacenote system?
    And whilst sideways looks spectacular – it’s not the quickest way; circuit style driving seems to be the most efficient way to drive these cars.
    Well yes circuit driving as you say....this used to be very important with the active cars and I think it was more emphasized than today. Nowadays with these passive cars it's a bit more enjoyable to watch at least!
    http://wrcbehindthestages.blogspot.com

Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell View Post
    Which, in turn, is extremely boring to watch, unless one is impressed by the sight of a car cornering as if on rails. And to think people wonder why the sport is dying...
    When was the last time you went to a WRC event? The cars most certainly don't corner like they're on rails when they're on gravel, hell even watching the Germany coverage and various YouTube videos they're more sideways on asphalt than I expected.
    Twitter - @Rallycameraman

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 306 Cosworth View Post
    When was the last time you went to a WRC event? The cars most certainly don't corner like they're on rails when they're on gravel, hell even watching the Germany coverage and various YouTube videos they're more sideways on asphalt than I expected.
    Germany is specific event, lot of hairpins and "square" corners, You must pull the handbrake there, or will seem like driving like grandpa.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts
    But what is the solution? You can't un-invent technology. Do we give them more power and make them RWD? Encourage event organisers to stop using the same stages year on year? I won't even suggest getting rid of pace-notes....that's not going to happen.
    Many years ago when notes were banned in national events you had every Tom, Dick and Harry driving over the stages weeks before the start "on their way to work" or "out for a Sunday drive" or "visiting friends". All that sort of nonsense. Impossible to police.

RWD- great idea. New stages- would help but many organisers find it hard enough finding new roads.

Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    But what is the solution? You can't un-invent technology. Do we give them more power and make them RWD? Encourage event organisers to stop using the same stages year on year? I won't even suggest getting rid of pace-notes....that's not going to happen.
    but you can ban certain technology.

harder tyres and more power should do the trick imo.

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    I agree that Mads has reached his top. It became finally obvious in the middle of the previous season. What I am worried about is that Mikkelsen isn't much better. Hope I am wrong.

Tony, it will soon be 2 years with no updates in your blog.

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noel157 View Post
    Many years ago when notes were banned in national events you had every Tom, Dick and Harry driving over the stages weeks before the start "on their way to work" or "out for a Sunday drive" or "visiting friends". All that sort of nonsense. Impossible to police.

RWD- great idea. New stages- would help but many organisers find it hard enough finding new roads.
    You forgot "I was out mountain biking...."

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

9. Likes: gravelman (2nd September 2014),noel157 (26th August 2014)
    Liked 2,833 Times in 1,607 Posts
    Solution is rallies on gravel and ice/snow, except for Rally Germany...
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

11. Likes: Sch17 (29th October 2014)
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Mads uses norwegian-swedish-english pacenotes, regular 1-6 system with normal additions (one speciality is double "additions": --, ++). Also has own note for 90deg junctions, "vinkel" and hairpin, "hårnal". So nothing special there. It's not the world's most precise note system (that title goes to French "Loeb-style degree notes"), but very precise nonetheless. No problems there I would argue.
    Satakymppi, oikee yks