Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula E

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Based on all the positive comments I guess the link in my post wasn't very obvious.

http://fanboost.fiaformulae.com/

I can't believe anyone here thinks that's a good idea.

"Fans can give their favourite driver an extra speed boost by voting for them prior to the race."
    It's a stupid concept, but I'm not going to shun the whole series on the basis of 3 drivers getting 5 seconds of boost in a race that's an hour (216,000 seconds) long. If I disliked sports based on one thing that was wrong then I wouldn't like rallying (power stage/superally), F1 (DRS), football (diving/refs with a lack of power), ice hockey (TV timeouts) or pretty much anything else that springs to mind.

Hopefully what will happen is that no one will bother with voting and the organisers will realise it's a dead duck after the first season...of course that will be no good unless the racing is interesting.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    it is an open series so teams are free to design their own cars and chassis, within the spec parameters. much like F1. And last I heard, there were a few different power units being offered
    As I understand it they're specifying the Spark (Dallara) chassis and Renault electric motor for the first season at least, but a certain Bluebird have expressed an interest. That's the land speed record chasing Bluebird, not the 1980s Nissan (have two more different cars ever shared the same name?...)

Incidentally, I like the Fan Boost concept. Not on merit - it's a hopeless idea - but because of sheer wilful perversity that it seems to be annoying so many people to such a ludicrous degree .

An electric motor racing series had to come sooner or later (let's ignore such oddities as the FIA Electro-Solar Challenge - oh wait, we already had); this looks like it has potential. And live coverage on ITV4 for UK viewers.
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

3. Likes: truefan72 (21st August 2014)
    Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Has anyone on here actually seen and heard the cars in action? I am fortunate that Donington Park is my local national circuit and it just happens to be where the championship is based, so I took the opportunity to go to see the cars in testing back in July, the sound is certainly different but not unpleasant and the cars look great on the track.

As for the fan vote for an extra boost, its an interesting idea which is an attempt to get fans engaged with the series. It may seem artificial or "fake" as so many of you like to insinuate but getting fans engaged with a brand new series is very important and it's good to see the organisers are making an effort to engage fans before the series has even started.

As for the driver lineup, you won't get any active F1 drivers driving anything else due to contracts, so an FIA backed world championship for single seaters should attract the finest non-F1 drivers with top level single seater experience, so to criticise the series for attracting a strong grid of drivers, the majority of which have F1 experience (whether racing or testing) is hardly something to criticise, but I suppose haters are gonna hate and morons will be moronic!

Looking forward to the series starting later this month, unlike some I am more than willing to give the series a fair shot rather than writing it off before a single race has happened!
    Last edited by philipbain; 2nd September 2014 at 13:27.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philipbain View Post
    As for the fan vote for an extra boost, its an interesting idea which is an attempt to get fans engaged with the series. It may seem artificial or "fake" as so many of you like to insinuate but getting fans engaged with a brand new series is very important and it's good to see the organisers are making an effort to engage fans before the series has even started.
    Fans will get fully engaged in a series when they sense that there is a high level, fair dinkum contest. In the absence of such series existing anywhere in the world atm, fans will stick with what they know.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philipbain View Post
    As for the driver lineup, you won't get any active F1 drivers driving anything else due to contracts, so an FIA backed world championship for single seaters should attract the finest non-F1 drivers with top level single seater experience, so to criticise the series for attracting a strong grid of drivers, the majority of which have F1 experience (whether racing or testing) is hardly something to criticise, but I suppose haters are gonna hate and morons will be moronic!

Looking forward to the series starting later this month, unlike some I am more than willing to give the series a fair shot rather than writing it off before a single race has happened!
    It is quite the contrary, most here, myself included are very happy to see the strong driver line up and in fact, my initial post that started the thread did so, along with me saying i am looking forward to seeing the races. I looked back at all the posts and most are quite happy with the drivers participating. A strong reason to watch the races. The only gripe folks had was with the "fan boost" situation and some railed against the switching cars. I for one, have no problem with the car switching, but hope that fan boost gimmick gets abandoned after the first race. Fans should play no part in the outcome of a race IMO
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    but hope that fan boost gimmick gets abandoned after the first race. Fans should play no part in the outcome of a race IMO
    I hope Bernie doesn't get an idea to include it in F1.

Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    I boosted Trulli, which is really just a way of getting you to register.
    I'm really looking forward to this series, mainly because of the quality of drivers, and will be attending the Long Beach race.

9. Likes: truefan72 (4th September 2014)
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    I boosted Trulli, which is really just a way of getting you to register.
    I'm really looking forward to this series, mainly because of the quality of drivers, and will be attending the Long Beach race.
    I imagine Pino will as well. So that must mean Jarno will do a Monaco 2004?
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    I've just found out that the official broadcast "partner" in Australia is Fox Sports.
    Because this was never listed in the siphoning legislation, it means that people without cable TV in Australia will see zero races.

I'm not looking forward to something that I won't be seeing. Thanks Mr Murdoch.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    I imagine Pino will as well. So that must mean Jarno will do a Monaco 2004?
    Judging by preseason test times it is less likely he will get the win in Beijing 2014
    Only 9 days to go

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    I'm not looking forward to something that I won't be seeing. Thanks Mr Murdoch.
    It looks like Rupert has a worldwide stranglehold on TV.
    "This global broadcasting deal will bring our Championship to nearly 90 countries and a potential 180 million households worldwide, giving our partners, our teams, and our team's partners a platform to visualize the association to the values of this competition," explained Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag. "We are particularly happy to join FOX at the time when FOX Sports 1 is being launched. America is a key market for electric cars and to show our races live in the US will be central to promoting this type of mobility."

http://en.espnf1.com/blogs/motorsport/story/120141.html
    I'll be watching on the internet with one eye, along with all the other scurvy scallywags, and be wearing an eye patch on the other, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!