Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula E

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    It is certainly a decent line-up. Even DTM doesn't have that many washed-up F1 drivers these days
    Formula E looks like it could have been a good series. But they decided that drivers would have to swap cars half way through each race, presumably just to emphasise the main drawback of electric cars. And then this
    lol, yes that vote thing is certainly a ridiculous stunt.
    and if it becomes the difference in a race win then that result should have an asterix

but I suppose they want to get the fans involved. It is the wrong way to go about it. \Probably better paddock access, perhaps social media Q&A sessions and an awesome live stream package would have been enough. As a fan, i have no desire to be involved in the outcome of the race

so, thanks for pointing that foolishness out. I hope they reconsider it.
    you can't argue with results.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
    I don't think the batteries will go the full race and they can't recharge them fast enough yet. Eventually they will get there. I fly electric RC planes and our charge rates on some batteries have gone from over an hour down to eight minutes, so there is lots of progress.

Personally I find the car change to be fake, phony and pretentious. I'de rather see them run two short heats with enough time between to recharge the original car, or swap out the battery. Changing the whole car in the middle of the race is just plain weird.

Having said that, we'de better get used to these cars because they are probably the future. I don't really object to the sound or anything. Flying electric RC I have come to appreciate the sound. That, and none of us complained about how our slot cars sounded when we were growing up.
    well said,

But i think the car swap is needed. Also considering that they say it should take about 90 seconds to swap and go, seems ok. Especially since all teams will do it and LMS cars take that long anyway when swapping drivers etc. Yeah the sound will get a bit of getting used to, but I think the technology will come when they integrate conventional sound in there. If F! games and sims can do it, then it might not be to far in the future to get some kind of program up and running that simulates more of a growl with the cars

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    It's a strange concept but we must not compare it to Formula 1 really. It's trying something completely new and is attempting to give something to the fans, something F1 hasn't got the slightest interest in. I say take it for what it is and enjoy something different.
    What it is, with this fanboost idea, is a "reality TV" gameshow. Generally I don't enjoy those at all. But they are usually based on things I don't particularly care about, like singing cover versions, dancing, or being a hysterical idiot in some sort of Orwellian nightmare. Who knows, maybe I'd like a "reality TV" show based on motorsport. But it doesn't sit right with me, and I certainly don't think it should be confused with actual motorsport.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    Not read up a huge amount on the series but certainly interested by it. Are all the cars to the same spec? Certainly looks that way from the timings with 10 drivers covered by 1 second
    it is an open series so teams are free to design their own cars and chassis, within the spec parameters. much like F1. And last I heard, there were a few different power units being offered. Also several F1 teams have contributed some standard components to the cars like mclaren, williams etc. So there is a good tie in there with some of those F1 teams

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    it is an open series so teams are free to design their own cars and chassis, within the spec parameters. much like F1. And last I heard, there were a few different power units being offered. Also several F1 teams have contributed some standard components to the cars like mclaren, williams etc. So there is a good tie in there with some of those F1 teams
    Right now there is only one homologated car though, so everyone has the same equipment.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

=

I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

7. Likes: airshifter (21st August 2014),GravettFan99 (21st August 2014),truefan72 (21st August 2014)
    Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Yeah the sound will get a bit of getting used to, but I think the technology will come when they integrate conventional sound in there. If F! games and sims can do it, then it might not be to far in the future to get some kind of program up and running that simulates more of a growl with the cars
    Yeah, but that would be fake too. I don't like anything in racing to be faked. I hate the whole DRS thing. I hated the idea of the F1 megaphones and bringing back titanium skid blocks to improve "the show." I don't want to watch a "show." I want to see racing.

Racing is spectacular enough without having to artificially make it better. The best way to have real racing is to keep the racing real.

9. Likes: Duncan (4th September 2014)
    Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    By the way, if some of you are curious about electric RC planes, they are bad ass.

Give this a look:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Maybe after the first race, this fan voting concept will be revoked.
    :champion: 1990 BTCC-CHAMPION w/ 207 points and 9 race wins :burnout:
    :champion: 1997 BTCC-Total Cup for Privateer's CHAMPION :burnout:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Time to give Michela Cerruti a boost.
    :champion: 1990 BTCC-CHAMPION w/ 207 points and 9 race wins :burnout:
    :champion: 1997 BTCC-Total Cup for Privateer's CHAMPION :burnout: