Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula E

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts

Formula E

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115446

wow look at this lineup of drivers
    that's a pretty strong group of drivers. 15 out of the 20 are former F1 drivers, including trulli and heidfeld, and a few others who have accomplished themselves in indycar

so this is the "other " F1 series
    I'll watch it simply for the drivers

and the cars look pretty as well
    Last edited by truefan72; 20th August 2014 at 08:06.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    It is certainly a decent line-up. Even DTM doesn't have that many washed-up F1 drivers these days
    Formula E looks like it could have been a good series. But they decided that drivers would have to swap cars half way through each race, presumably just to emphasise the main drawback of electric cars. And then this

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    I don't understand the car swap either, but I'll certainly be watching. I do like street circuits anyway, so the fact that all the tracks will be temporary ones is a big draw. The sound will take some getting used to though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqMKOa0Gbcw
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 660 Times in 460 Posts
    The is a surprising lineup of drivers. Hopefully it will be worth watching.

On a related note, I do think Formula E has already reached some of the intended target audience. I know of a couple friends/acquaintances that know I am an avid F1 fan, but they have never showed much interest. At least a couple of them are now waiting to watch Formula E, as they are the "green" type. My neighbor also knew more about he schedule than I did, though he also likes Formula 1.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Not read up a huge amount on the series but certainly interested by it. Are all the cars to the same spec? Certainly looks that way from the timings with 10 drivers covered by 1 second
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    I will certainly be watching. If the racing is close, exciting and the races are shown on FTA, it might well replace F1 on my weekend race viewing. F1 has screwed up royally with shunning the fans so lets hope Formula E gets a bit more exposure. I'm not so bothered about the drivers being ex-F1, as it needs experience to get off the ground.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    I don't expect much to come from this series. Especially as a threat to F1.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Based on all the positive comments I guess the link in my post wasn't very obvious.

http://fanboost.fiaformulae.com/

I can't believe anyone here thinks that's a good idea.

"Fans can give their favourite driver an extra speed boost by voting for them prior to the race."
    Last edited by AndyL; 20th August 2014 at 19:35.

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inimitablestoo View Post
    I don't understand the car swap either, but I'll certainly be watching.
    I don't think the batteries will go the full race and they can't recharge them fast enough yet. Eventually they will get there. I fly electric RC planes and our charge rates on some batteries have gone from over an hour down to eight minutes, so there is lots of progress.

Personally I find the car change to be fake, phony and pretentious. I'de rather see them run two short heats with enough time between to recharge the original car, or swap out the battery. Changing the whole car in the middle of the race is just plain weird.

Having said that, we'de better get used to these cars because they are probably the future. I don't really object to the sound or anything. Flying electric RC I have come to appreciate the sound. That, and none of us complained about how our slot cars sounded when we were growing up.

10. Likes: truefan72 (20th August 2014)
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Based on all the positive comments I guess the link in my post wasn't very obvious.

http://fanboost.fiaformulae.com/

I can't believe anyone here thinks that's a good idea.

"Fans can give their favourite driver an extra speed boost by voting for them prior to the race."
    It's a strange concept but we must not compare it to Formula 1 really. It's trying something completely new and is attempting to give something to the fans, something F1 hasn't got the slightest interest in. I say take it for what it is and enjoy something different.