Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For his sake I hope he impresses early, I hear good things about him, let's hope their true.

Feel bad for Vergne, slightly Underrated driver. Who knows?, had he been chosen to go to Red Bull instead of Ricciardo than maybe he would be the one with 2 wins to his name at this point.

If it fails there is always Formula E :P

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    There is no doubt Max is highly rated right now, but he is too young to be entering F1 IMO. My impression is Jean Eric is having a good season and has put in some good performances. Perhaps Vettel is looking elsewhere and he is joining Dan at Red Bull? I doubt it and this is perhaps another marketing opportunity rather than using the full potential of their driver program.

3. Likes: truefan72 (19th August 2014)
    Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    ^Vettel is looking at? (unless Hamilton moves - again where?) there is no way Vettel is moving anywhere apart from Merc in the near future (unless Alonso moves too - where?) Actually all of them could swap places
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    With enough promises from Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, Williams etc, a driver can move anywhere. We can't judge on current form because it differs hugely from season to season with some teams. Hamilton was off his skull for ditching McLaren back in 2012, yet ultimately the assurances he received came true. Drivers move, its the nature of the sport. Vettel may well stay, but he may make other plans, we just can't call it.

Liked 1,064 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    What has he exactly done to deserve a F1 seat at 17? Having an ex F1 driver as Dad? (I liked Verstappen!)
    Has he won any series? (I read he is in some sort of F3 and winning a few races there - http://www.mundodeportivo.com/201408...413158948.html) Basically is there anything that has shown his skills as being outstanding to debut at such an age?
    Winning 6 F3 races on the trot in his first season of car racing, breaking lap records during his first tests in FR 2.0 and F3.

And typically F3 isn't a series where you get your first taste of racing in cars.

This is an interesting view about him: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115436
    Last edited by EightGear; 19th August 2014 at 10:42.
    SimRace Vereniging Nederland
    www.srvn.nl

7. Likes: gm99 (19th August 2014)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Considering his Dad got thrown in the deep end early and unprepared, and his career suffered as a result. I'm surprised Jos has let this occur. Must be as dumb as a post?

If you were a part of the RB junior program, and were older than Max. Would it be worth quitting the program?

Quote Originally Posted by EightGear View Post
    And typically F3 isn't a series where you get your first taste of racing in cars.
    It's become more and more common, the last 10 or so years? Circuit racing has also become a softer discipline of driving, so F3 may not be a big deal anymore?

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    According to Marko, he is one of the few drivers ever who progressed from karting straight into F3 and had success there immediately. Apparently, Marko thinks he has got what it takes. And while I think the doctor has some personality flaws, I trust his judgement on spotting talent - he has discovered the likes of Montoya, Vettel or Ricciardo after all.

As for having Jos as his Dad, I doubt that's much of a criteria for Red Bull. They are notorious for caring only about the performance of their drivers, otherwise Carlos Sainz Jr. would have been given an F1 drive long ago
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    Apparently, Marko thinks he has got what it takes. And while I think the doctor has some personality flaws,
    Some personality flaws???

Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    I trust his judgement on spotting talent - he has discovered the likes of Montoya, Vettel or Ricciardo after all.
    You're giving him credit for those three, especially Montoya? You're being kind. It's easy when RB spend tonnes of money.

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post

You're giving him credit for those three, especially Montoya? You're being kind. It's easy when RB spend tonnes of money.
    Why not Montoya? AFAIK, he made his first marks in international racing while driving for Marko's team in F3000 in 1997 (no Red Bull involved at that time, btw).
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Montoya was a known quantity before racing for Marko's F3000 team.