Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    STR has made some seemingly absurd decisions when hiring or firing drivers, but there is one explanation for it. STR is not looking to find the next Sutil or even Di Resta. They want to stumble upon the next Vettel or Hamilton.

2. Likes: gm99 (19th August 2014)
    Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    I'm not saying he can't make it, because Räikkönen came with equally little experince and he did quite well.
    But it is still hard to understand the timing. STR is a team supposed to be the first step to F1 and JEV has had his opportunities so it is logical that he goes. But when Red Bull has more experienced drivers like Sainz Jr. Who has impressed both on the 3,5 championship as well as on his test with F1, it is hard to understand why the rush to bring Verstappen to F1 with such hurry? They could have afforded to pay his drives in GP2 or 3,5 for a year or two.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Two things I hope for:

1. I hope that he doesn't end up like poor Alguersuari, having his progression halted at STR and then thrown out. (which is looking to be the story with Vergne soon)

2. Good results for him, obviously, as long as they're not on the podium - he won't be able to enjoy the champagne!
    :champion: 1990 BTCC-CHAMPION w/ 207 points and 9 race wins :burnout:
    :champion: 1997 BTCC-Total Cup for Privateer's CHAMPION :burnout:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    This story also seems quite like Sirotkin and Sauber, except that I consider Verstappen a better driver rather than mediocre, which is what Sirotkin is. Still, he needs more time before coming to F1.
    :champion: 1990 BTCC-CHAMPION w/ 207 points and 9 race wins :burnout:
    :champion: 1997 BTCC-Total Cup for Privateer's CHAMPION :burnout:

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    We won't know until it happens, and in the end it's just like any other "job" opportunity. Sometimes you get thrown directly into the deep end because someone wants you to do it and has faith in your ability to do so. And if you're that person, it's going to be really hard to pass it up unless you doubt your abilities.

I hope he does well. For me honestly speculation will remain just that as to any driver decision. Unless they ran spec cars we can only compare to the others on the team, and driver preference in handling might still favor one over another.

If they called me and offered me the job, I'd make sure the guys that fab the seats had room for my large (by F1 standards) butt. Then I'd say yes to the position. Well wait, I'd cram my large butt in regardless and not worry about it until after taking the position.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    I now vaguely remember reading an F1 magazine, where there was a side note announcing Max had been born!

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    Who knows? Me, I just shrug my shoulders and move on. If STR want to give all of their drivers a shot in F1 who's to blame them? They are a B team and nothing more.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    Who knows? Me, I just shrug my shoulders and move on. If STR want to give all of their drivers a shot in F1 who's to blame them? They are a B team and nothing more.
    Quite true, but this is the very reason there should not be two related teams in F1. RedBull's 'B" team should be in GP2, that is what GP2 is there for.

10. Likes: truefan72 (20th August 2014)
    Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    How can you not cheer for a guy who's named "Max Verstappen?"

12. Likes: airshifter (21st August 2014)
    Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    STR has made some seemingly absurd decisions when hiring or firing drivers, but there is one explanation for it. STR is not looking to find the next Sutil or even Di Resta. They want to stumble upon the next Vettel or Hamilton.
    They seemed to be on to something with that Ricciardo fellow.