Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

DTM - Super GT - V8 Supercars - Convergence?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...802-zzsi6.html
    V8 Supercars is investigating a future that is not tied to the V8 engines that have been the signature of top-level touring car racing in Australia for two decades.
    Among the options to be considered are turbocharged four or six-cylinder motors in addition to the traditional V8s and dropping the V8 tag in a possible rebranding to simply Supercars.

- The Age, 2nd Aug 2014

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107154
    The DTM is set to ditch V8 engines in favour of two-litre turbos within three seasons as part its drive to become a global formula.
    The series has set a target of 2016 to go down the same route as Super GT in Japan, which next year will adopt small-capacity, direct-injection four-cylinder turbos for its GT500 class.
    The revelation of the plans comes in the wake of rules accord signed with the Super GT organiser last October, under which the Japanese series is embracing the philosophy of the DTM regulations, and the firming up in March of plans for DTM America with a start date set for either 2015 or '16.

- Autosport, 3rd May 2014

I would really like to see this happen. Obviously Japan's Super GT would like to import and share cars with Germany's DTM but in Australia where the Commodore and Falcon which have been the mainstay of tin-top racing for two decades will both cease to exist, why shouldn't Supercars also jump in?

Potentially there could be as many as many as nine different manufacturers which would all have cross elligible cars:
    Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Holden, Ford and Volvo.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    That would be awesome! I have a feeling it could be more entertaining than the current WTCC series.
    :champion: 1990 BTCC-CHAMPION w/ 207 points and 9 race wins :burnout:
    :champion: 1997 BTCC-Total Cup for Privateer's CHAMPION :burnout:

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Local series do their own thing, that is best suited to them. What's the big deal about having a universal class? It will break down, 5 years after it starts.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thing is, the only thing the V8 supercars have in common with their road legal versions is lights. So why bother, it's not like they're going to get any closer to being road legal.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Callumatic View Post
    Thing is, the only thing the V8 supercars have in common with their road legal versions is lights. So why bother, it's not like they're going to get any closer to being road legal.
    Why bother?

Basically to make sure that there are in fact cars to race. With Nissan and MB both already in Super GT and the DTM respectively, they'd be able to just import cars to race (as would other manufacturers). Ford and Holden may not be bothered by then.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I suppose

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Liked 59 Times in 43 Posts
    DTM and SuperGT are set to have this new "CLASS ONE" thing.
    IMSA (usa) wants to join with an American Series with Ford, Chevy and DOdge... BUT, 2 years ago these 3 manufacturers said they were not interested.
    But times had changed, right? I hope

V8SC is changing and will becme more similar to BTCC with several models and engines. As a BTCC (and a V8SC) fan, i think this will bring only good things for the series.