Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lukyanuk

Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    At the age of 34 he has nothing to offer to the top of the sport. Novikov was way younger than him and equally impressive and we all saw how that ended. He is very fast on roads he knows well and with lesser competition and a nice attraction to village events and B class championships. Tanak won this event very comfortably and he is the same person who crashes when he tries to be in touch with the second tier of drivers in the WRC.
    The only thing N.O.T. is you can´t compare him with Novikov. No way. Two different persons. One with money having no problem to get what he wants. The other pure driving skills without having the chance to prove what he´s able to do. 34 is no problem. He´s going to be better up to about +40´s.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Can you name someone who started a career in the WRC at 34 ?? he will need at least 2 years to get familiar with the car and the stages... and what about tarmac ? at the age of 36 most people drive one two years and then retire...

Novikov also had pure driving skills and he was 17 at the time....

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Marcus Grönholm was 31 or 32 smth when he joined WRC with Peugeot.

One thing is sure, we need to see Lukyanuk driving on other roads, surfaces and cars. I do not really care about the results as he is very impressive to spectate. And I'm very sure he will do fine on any kind of gravel roads driving modern rallycars. Not sure about tarmac though.

친애하는 지도자
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    Marcus Grönholm was 31 or 32 smth when he joined WRC with Peugeot.

One thing is sure, we need to see Lukyanuk driving on other roads, surfaces and cars. I do not really care about the results as he is very impressive to spectate. And I'm very sure he will do fine on any kind of gravel roads driving modern rallycars. Not sure about tarmac though.
    Gronholm had WRC experience though. Lunyanuk has not even driven a proper rally car like an R5 or s2000...let alone a WRC.

Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    OK, discussion is very hypothetical atm. However making negative statements before we´ve seen what he can do is for me enough of discussion. I think 99% of forum members agree we want to see him in a R5 or WRC car in the near future. Not in single events. That is not enough judging his abilities.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

6. Likes: Munkvy (21st July 2014)
    Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
    More than his age, his nationality is probably the biggest handicap he has right now while looking for a team or for sponsors.
    With the Syrian crisis a few years ago and the Ukrainian crisis today, Russia is starting to become a more and more "rogue" state where negotiations and free trade with the outside world getting more and more difficult. Also because of Putin's foreign policies, Russia's image is getting worse and worse on an International stand point, and I highly doubt that we would see any euro/korean/japanese manufacturer or big sponsor "investing" in this market right now, actually it is much more likely to be the opposite.

I would like to be optimistic but the reality is that with every day that passes, it will get even more difficult for him to move up a category, obviously the fact that he is 34 already clearly does not play in his own favor.

PS: while I agree with rallyper that the comparison with Novikov is a bit far fetched, does anyone know why his sponsors suddenly cut the faucet? His numerous crash were hardly new, and during 2013 he's still shown some progress, I was surprised he backed off the WRC so suddenly. Couldn't it be somehow political as well?
    Last edited by miniwintz; 21st July 2014 at 11:14. Reason: spelling

Liked 352 Times in 208 Posts
    Who?
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
    Novikov. One year he is doing full calendar and the next year no one hears about him anymore... He disappeared from rallying so suddenly, I find it very strange.

Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    Can you name someone who started a career in the WRC at 34 ?? he will need at least 2 years to get familiar with the car and the stages... and what about tarmac ? at the age of 36 most people drive one two years and then retire...

Novikov also had pure driving skills and he was 17 at the time....
    Panizzi has begun his WRC career in 2000 ans he was 35 YO. And if you don't count 2011, Meeke is 35 yo this year
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/tofrallye29 - https://twitter.com/Tofrallye29

친애하는 지도자
    all these drivers did not came out of nowhere... they were established champions in respectable championships and had vast experience with proper rally cars.

Lukyanuk sure deserves a chance in a proper car at least in events that are similar to the ones he drives, but there is absolutely no chance and reason for a sane factory boss to give him a drive without paying...